What ruins life

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

Compassionist
Guru

What ruins life

Post #1

Post by Compassionist »

Life would be awesome if there were no suffering, unfairness and deaths. These things ruin what could be an amazing experience. I feel so much grief about all the suffering, unfairness and deaths. I wish I could go back in time and prevent all suffering, unfairness and deaths but I can't. If I were all-knowing and all-powerful, there would be no suffering, unfairness and death. I would just make every being equally all-knowing and all-powerful and give them an infinite number of universes each so all will be equally weatlhy and healthy and wise and eternal.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #11

Post by Divine Insight »

The Tanager wrote:
Compassionist wrote: Life would be awesome if there were no suffering, unfairness and deaths. These things ruin what could be an amazing experience. I feel so much grief about all the suffering, unfairness and deaths. I wish I could go back in time and prevent all suffering, unfairness and deaths but I can't. If I were all-knowing and all-powerful, there would be no suffering, unfairness and death. I would just make every being equally all-knowing and all-powerful and give them an infinite number of universes each so all will be equally weatlhy and healthy and wise and eternal.
Would you still do these things if one needed to wipe out everyone's ability to love to do so?
Are you suggesting that in order to have an ability to love we must live in a dangerous world with evil people? Why should that be the case?

Also if that's the case, then how could there be any love in heaven?
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

The Tanager
Prodigy

Post #12

Post by The Tanager »

Divine Insight wrote:Are you suggesting that in order to have an ability to love we must live in a dangerous world with evil people? Why should that be the case?
I'm suggesting that in order to have the ability to love we must have free will. I am then also suggesting that if we have free will, then one could not logically make it so that no suffering or unfairness took place.
Divine Insight wrote:Also if that's the case, then how could there be any love in heaven?
I believe there can be love in heaven because I believe there is free will in heaven.

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Re: What ruins life

Post #13

Post by 2ndRateMind »

Compassionist wrote: Life would be awesome if there were no suffering, unfairness and deaths. These things ruin what could be an amazing experience. I feel so much grief about all the suffering, unfairness and deaths. I wish I could go back in time and prevent all suffering, unfairness and deaths but I can't. If I were all-knowing and all-powerful, there would be no suffering, unfairness and death. I would just make every being equally all-knowing and all-powerful and give them an infinite number of universes each so all will be equally weatlhy and healthy and wise and eternal.
Hmmm. Seems to me we are bequeathed an imperfect world, to make perfect. Or, if you like the paradoxical, our world is perfect because it is imperfect, and vice versa. Given its imperfections, it is our job to remove them, or live in such harmony with the world that they never arise. And, though suffering, unfairness and death seem undesirable, such challenges do provide us something meaningful to do with our lives. And if they were totally absent, I suspect we would very quickly become bored.

Given that we cultivate our virtues by facing down adversity, in the absence of such adversity, I think the human race would be pretty boring, too.

Best wishes, 2RM.
Last edited by 2ndRateMind on Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Non omnes qui errant pereunt
Not all who wander are lost

Tcg
Savant

Post #14

Post by Tcg »

2ndRateMind wrote:
Given that we cultivate our virtues by facing down adversity, in the absence of such adversity, I think the human race would be pretty boring, too.

Best wishes, 2RM.
If that is true, then heaven would be the greatest curse a human could experience. Of course there is no reason to suspect we'll ever be subjected to such an existence whether it be paradise or abject boredom as your reasoning suggests.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #15

Post by 2ndRateMind »

Tcg wrote:
2ndRateMind wrote:

Best wishes, 2RM.
If that is true, then heaven would be the greatest curse a human could experience.
You are assuming you know what Heaven is like. Since none have been there, and returned to tell us how it is, I am not willing to share that assumption. For my part, I think God has probably sorted out an afterlife that suits us, but as to how that hereafter manifests and suits, I am not prepared to speculate.

Best wishes, 2RM.
Non omnes qui errant pereunt
Not all who wander are lost

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Post #16

Post by Aetixintro »

No matter how hard a judgment, if stupidity (Original sin) warrants it, evil happens!

Thus, this world under God is what we deserve because all of us combined have done no better! However, evil is due to Satan and not some agency of God.

The all-powerful (omnipotence) notion is attributed to God because God has put substance into existence while Satan has done nothing (naught) of that magnitude, at least according to the Bible. Therefore, we should heed God's word far more than now in order to effectuate The Promised Land under God and by that also leading all future people straight to Heaven in an obvious way when God is asked for also today!

:study: 8-)
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!

elijahpne
Student

Post #17

Post by elijahpne »

[Replying to Compassionist in post #1]

You said:
Life would be awesome if there were no suffering, unfairness and deaths.
Isn't that what Jesus died for - the elimination of suffering and death?
KJV: Isaiah 53:5 But he was wounded [pierced: NIV] for our transgressions, he was bruised [crushed: NIV] for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes [wounds: NIV] we are healed.
His chastisement, ie., suffering death in a torture stake, which was meant for our peace resulted in a healing for us - the elimination of sin and death through faith in the ransom sacrifice. His resurrection from the dead is our guarantee that it will happen, no not now but soon. John 11:25 says: "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die;" - NIV

The fulfillment of all his promises will await for an extraordinary event to happen. Indeed, there is a time for everything. Psalm 37:10, 11 NIV says:
10 A little while, and the wicked will be no more;
though you look for them, they will not be found
11 But the meek will inherit the land
and enjoy peace and prosperity
You further said:
If I were all-knowing and all-powerful ...
You don't need to be all-knowing and powerful. We can never be even if we live forever. But one already is - God. Soon - and I really mean soon - after wickedness, which is the major cause of all the sufferings on earth, is eliminated, we will live in glorious freedom as children of God.
KJV: Romans 8:21 Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God
Rest assured that God knows what we need and he will satisfy our needs (Psalm 145:16). Have faith and do His will. He that does the will of God remains forever (1 John 2:17)

Isaiah 65:22 For like the days of a tree will the days of my people be

elijahpne
Student

Post #18

Post by elijahpne »

[Replying to otseng in post #2]

Your optimism:
The good news is one day God will create a new world that is free from suffering and pain.
"... and death will be no more." - Revelation 21:4

was somehow tempered by your pessimism when you added
... but we cannot expect it will end in our world.
When the faithful man Lazarus died, Jesus told Lazarus' sister Martha: "Your brother will rise again." ( John 11:23 NIV), Martha answered: "I know he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day." - John 11:24 (NIV)

Although Jesus resurrected Lazarus that same day she expressed the hope that a general resurrection will occur at the last day.

People who study world conditions would definitely express the belief that we are indeed living in the last days. One such individual, Dr. Lown, co-president of the International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War said:
Our era is the first in which prophecies of doom stem from objective scientific analyses. - The Last Days—A Unique Feature ( https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/101988243#h=7)
But for Martha's inspired prediction of the resurrection to be true, it is the wicked society (figurative world) that will end not the planet (physical world). Proverbs 2:22 KJV expressed that belief when it said: "the wicked shall be cut off from the earth" not the righteous for Jesus assured us at Matthew 5:5: "Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth." - KJV

Thus we can "expect it [suffering and pain] will end in our world" or in this age we now live in but, who knows, if it is God's will, we may outlive this figurative world.

Peace mate!

Isaiah 65:22 For like the days of a tree will the days of my people be

Nicholas11

Post #19

Post by Nicholas11 »

well we were born we know we're going to die! e all that we need at birth!!

Compassionist
Guru

Post #20

Post by Compassionist »

Wootah wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:58 pm
Are you saying our dark hearts require a universe each?

I would agree.

A great description of hell which I have heard before is that it is a place where each person is allowed to be God of their own universe. CS Lewis had this vision of each person in their own house, made to their liking but no one visits each other because of the hate for each other.

Suffering and death will end when God gathers his people.
A lot of people and other sentient organisms are malevolent. Living things do terrible things to other living things. This is because they don't have free will. They have constrained will. Their will is constrained by genes, environments, nutrients and experiences. So, it would be great to be able to make all living things omnibenevolent, omniscient and omnipotent. Sadly, I don't have the power to make it so.