What ruins life

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

Compassionist
Guru

What ruins life

Post #1

Post by Compassionist »

Life would be awesome if there were no suffering, unfairness and deaths. These things ruin what could be an amazing experience. I feel so much grief about all the suffering, unfairness and deaths. I wish I could go back in time and prevent all suffering, unfairness and deaths but I can't. If I were all-knowing and all-powerful, there would be no suffering, unfairness and death. I would just make every being equally all-knowing and all-powerful and give them an infinite number of universes each so all will be equally weatlhy and healthy and wise and eternal.

Compassionist
Guru

Re: What ruins life

Post #41

Post by Compassionist »

The Tanager wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:29 pm
Compassionist wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:11 amThat's incorrect. God could put a force field around the victim which would prevent the evil parent from being able to harm the victim.
Technically the will may be free, but it's made completely ineffective.
Compassionist wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:11 amVeganism causes much less suffering than omnivores. As I said before, I want to be an autotroph so I won't be consuming any plants but I lack the genes.
Under your definition, veganism is less evil, but still evil. The "moral" thing to do (using that principle) is to let yourself starve to death.
Compassionist wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:11 amIf God created herbivores, carnivores and omnivores then God is evil.
Using your definition of evil, yes.
Compassionist wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:11 amJust because we and other social animals care about ethics it does not make God real and good.
I didn't argue the opposite.
I thought about killing myself, but that would also be evil by my definition. I want to save and improve all lives so that all beings are forever happy.

The Tanager
Prodigy

Post #42

Post by The Tanager »

Compassionist wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:41 pmI thought about killing myself, but that would also be evil by my definition. I want to save and improve all lives so that all beings are forever happy.
I want the same and, so, I'm very happy that you did not act on those thoughts. I hope to talk with you in the future.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #43

Post by nobspeople »

Menotu wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:59 pm [Replying to post 1 by Compassionist]

Life would be awesome if there were 1) no suffering, 2) unfairness and 3) deaths.

I don't agree.
1) Suffering many times builds character and creates appreciation
2) Unfairness? Maybe. Though that can also build appreciation
3) The idea of living forever is terrible to me because we don't know what happens after death.

Maybe if # 2 & #1 above didn't last for a long time, it would be better. But death....everything 'dies'. It's the balance of life. Death is a change in physical status. I'm not sure why that would be bad.
Agreed, assuming character isn't already 'engineered in' to us from the beginning. But I will agree without 1 & 2 above, there is little to no appreciation and thus, B-O-R-I-N-G.
About death: people seem to think, so many times, death is the end of all things. I don't believe that. I think it's just another step in the continuation of 'us'. The First Law of Thermodynamics (Conservation) states that energy is always conserved, it cannot be created or destroyed. And we know we're part energy, so we must, in some fashion, continue on. Death is, to me, just a step forward. They only reason to fear it is because we've been indoctrinated to do so in order to feed the need of some entity that's all powerful, which came from an establishment (religion) that's detrimental to society the longer it's allowed to garner power, money and influence on everyone. IMO of course.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Compassionist
Guru

Post #44

Post by Compassionist »

nobspeople wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:32 am
Menotu wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:59 pm [Replying to post 1 by Compassionist]

Life would be awesome if there were 1) no suffering, 2) unfairness and 3) deaths.

I don't agree.
1) Suffering many times builds character and creates appreciation
2) Unfairness? Maybe. Though that can also build appreciation
3) The idea of living forever is terrible to me because we don't know what happens after death.

Maybe if # 2 & #1 above didn't last for a long time, it would be better. But death....everything 'dies'. It's the balance of life. Death is a change in physical status. I'm not sure why that would be bad.
Agreed, assuming character isn't already 'engineered in' to us from the beginning. But I will agree without 1 & 2 above, there is little to no appreciation and thus, B-O-R-I-N-G.
About death: people seem to think, so many times, death is the end of all things. I don't believe that. I think it's just another step in the continuation of 'us'. The First Law of Thermodynamics (Conservation) states that energy is always conserved, it cannot be created or destroyed. And we know we're part energy, so we must, in some fashion, continue on. Death is, to me, just a step forward. They only reason to fear it is because we've been indoctrinated to do so in order to feed the need of some entity that's all powerful, which came from an establishment (religion) that's detrimental to society the longer it's allowed to garner power, money and influence on everyone. IMO of course.
Please see The total energy content of the universe is zero. Everything is nothing and nothing is everything.

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #45

Post by 2ndRateMind »

Nicholas11 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:26 am well we were born we know we're going to die!
It's what we do in the middle that counts, I think.

Best wishes, 2RM.
Non omnes qui errant pereunt
Not all who wander are lost

William
Savant

Post #46

Post by William »

2ndRateMind wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:44 am
Nicholas11 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:26 am well we were born we know we're going to die!

Best wishes, 2RM.
It only counts if it can be saved, think I. Ultimately the Physical Universe does not count if it cannot be saved. Therefore whatever we do, doesn't count no matter even if we evolved to endure as long as the PU does...

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #47

Post by 2ndRateMind »

William wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:32 pm

Best wishes, 2RM.
It only counts if it can be saved, think I. Ultimately the Physical Universe does not count if it cannot be saved. Therefore whatever we do, doesn't count no matter even if we evolved to endure as long as the PU does...
Yes. Should we live forever, and should there be no judgement day, nothing really matters beyond our immediate gratification.

Best wishes, 2RM.

William
Savant

Post #48

Post by William »

2ndRateMind wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:53 pm

Best wishes, 2RM.
Yes. Should we live forever, and should there be no judgement day, nothing really matters beyond our immediate gratification.

Best wishes, 2RM.
Perhaps self gratification is a symptom of the belief in the illusion that matter matters?

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #49

Post by 2ndRateMind »

William wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:04 pm
Best wishes, 2RM.
Best wishes, 2RM.
Perhaps self gratification is a symptom of the belief in the illusion that matter matters?
You might be quite correct, and entirely right. I could not possibly comment.

Best wishes, 2RM.

William
Savant

Post #50

Post by William »

2ndRateMind wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:13 pm
William wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:04 pm
Best wishes, 2RM.
Best wishes, 2RM.
You might be quite correct, and entirely right. I could not possibly comment.

Best wishes, 2RM.
And yet here you are, doing the impossible!