Miles
Savant

Knowledge, Belief, and Faith

Post #1

Post by Miles »

Knowledge---Knowing

Belief---Believing

Faith---Having faith that

Without relying on outside sources, what do you regard as the most significant aspect of each, and how do you see them differing from each other?

Dimmesdale
Sage

Re: Knowledge, Belief, and Faith

Post #2

Post by Dimmesdale »

Miles wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:37 pm .

Knowledge---Knowing

Belief---Believing

Without relying on outside sources, what do you regard as the most significant aspect of each, and how do you see them differing from each other?

Most significant aspect of each thing? Okay, I'll give it a go.

For KNOWLEDGE, the most significant aspect is INTIMACY. Especially intimacy with God. Intimacy requires knowledge of the person you love (and vice versa), it requires knowing that you each communicate and reciprocate your feelings. Without knowledge there is no connection, hence no intimacy, and without intimacy, there is no connection that leads to greater knowledge. But this is isn't exclusive to persons. Intimacy involves the details of any other field of knowledge. If you do not know something intimately, you don't really know it, because you are not thoroughly acquainted with all the details.... Thus, you can't really judge it.

For BELIEVING, the most significant aspect is TRUST. If you don't have trust in what you believe, you don't really believe it. It's only lip service. If you distrust the source of your Belief, you cannot make a true Act of Belief. And you can't grow in knowledge either, because it is uncertain, and you don't want to spend time investing your life in it.....

For FAITH, the most significant aspect is OPENNESS. Faith for me is prior to full-bodied Belief. It is pro·pae·deu·tic
/ˌprōpēˈd(y)o͞odik/ (propaedeutic) to belief. A preliminary. Unless you open the door of faith, by being WILLING to DO SO and OPENING your MIND, faith is a non-starter. Thus, openness is the most important factor here....

Hope that helps! Prayers!

Miles
Savant

Post #3

Post by Miles »

Dimmesdale wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:56 pm

Knowledge---Knowing

Belief---Believing

For KNOWLEDGE, the most significant aspect is INTIMACY. Especially intimacy with God. Intimacy requires knowledge of the person you love (and vice versa), it requires knowing that you each communicate and reciprocate your feelings. Without knowledge there is no connection, hence no intimacy, and without intimacy, there is no connection that leads to greater knowledge. But this is isn't exclusive to persons. Intimacy involves the details of any other field of knowledge. If you do not know something intimately, you don't really know it, because you are not thoroughly acquainted with all the details.... Thus, you can't really judge it.

For BELIEVING, the most significant aspect is TRUST. If you don't have trust in what you believe, you don't really believe it. It's only lip service. If you distrust the source of your Belief, you cannot make a true Act of Belief. And you can't grow in knowledge either, because it is uncertain, and you don't want to spend time investing your life in it.....

For FAITH, the most significant aspect is OPENNESS. Faith for me is prior to full-bodied Belief. It is pro·pae·deu·tic
/ˌprōpēˈd(y)o͞odik/ (propaedeutic) to belief. A preliminary. Unless you open the door of faith, by being WILLING to DO SO and OPENING your MIND, faith is a non-starter. Thus, openness is the most important factor here....

Thanks for replying. I had pretty much written off the thread. But to play devil's advocate a bit.

Can one have knowledge of something without intimacy being involved? Does intimacy enter into my knowledge that the moon revolves around the earth, or that mica is softer than iron?

OR does my belief that if I drink too much alcohol will likely give me a headache involve trust?

And where does openness inter into my faith that the other car at our intersection won't T-bone me as I drive through it?

Dimmesdale
Sage

Post #4

Post by Dimmesdale »

Miles wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:35 am
Dimmesdale wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:56 pm

Knowledge---Knowing

Belief---Believing

Thanks for replying. I had pretty much written off the thread. But to play devil's advocate a bit.

Can one have knowledge of something without intimacy being involved? Does intimacy enter into my knowledge that the moon revolves around the earth, or that mica is softer than iron?

OR does my belief that if I drink too much alcohol will likely give me a headache involve trust?

And where does openness inter into my faith that the other car at our intersection won't T-bone me as I drive through it?

Haha, ok, I see. Yeah, I suppose these features aren't INDISPENSABLE to the things in question, but I just find them related in a deep way....

Knowledge without intimacy is mechanical. It is cold and impersonal. I suppose you can have such knowledge, but it is incomplete nonetheless.

When it comes to belief in drinking too much alcohol, well, that involves trust in the sense of repeatable life experience: you've had the same thing happen to you multiple times probably (or seen instances in other people): thus you use inductive reasoning and your trust is put in THAT then....

Openness with faith that the other car won't T-bone you... well, you wouldn't have gotten into your car in the FIRST PLACE had you not thought that in general conditions were favorable and in all likelihood nothing bad would happen. There was no snow storm, etc.... Of course you can't factor in all conditions, only some. You have to be open to faith, else you would never take any risks in life..... You wouldn't have gotten into the car in the first place, again!

Just my 2 cents..... Peace!

IAMinyou
Student

Post #5

Post by IAMinyou »

[Replying to Miles in post #1]

Faith comes before eternal wisdom ( knowledge ) but belief is something all eternal minds experience even without faith and eternal wisdom.