Are divergent opinions becoming less tolerated?

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

harvey1
Prodigy

Are divergent opinions becoming less tolerated?

Post #1

Post by harvey1 »

It seems to me that with cancel culture becoming more of a thing, we're seeing an increasingly intolerance toward divergent opinions. If so, then this trend could spill over into areas like philosophy and even science which have largely benefitted from divergent opinions over the years (e.g., Kuhn's paradigms, Darwin's natural selection, Einstein's special relativity). Is that a real concern given cancel culture?
People say of the last day, that God shall give judgment. This is true. But it is not true as people imagine. Every man pronounces his own sentence; as he shows himself here in his essence, so will he remain everlastingly -- Meister Eckhart

koko

Re: Are divergent opinions becoming less tolerated?

Post #2

Post by koko »

As a political moderate I try to listen to and comment upon both sides of an issue. Over the years I have found that progressives are far more tolerant than are conservatives. We've seen that here on this forum were I was repeatedly attacked by a right winger (he has since been banned). In fact, I have been banned on a couple of right wing Christian professing websites and several right wing political websites. Only once was I ever banned on a liberal site - this because it was a pro Zionist site as they condemned my sympathies for Palestinians and not because of our divergent views on abortion. But all this is par for the course. Right wingers have always been far more intolerant than anyone else.

koko

Post #3

Post by koko »

A few months ago, right wing professing Christians objected when the government tried to stop churches from holding meetings in order to stop the spread of disease. They felt it violated the Constitution for the government to intrude on religion as it violates separation of church and state.

But now the government is stopping a church/community group from providing food to people exercising their 1st Amendment rights:

Kenosha police arrest food distribution volunteers

Nine people arrested by police in Kenosha, Wisconsin, for allegedly being outside agitators were in town city to distribute food to protesters, a director of the nonprofit kitchen said Saturday.

Jennifer Scheurle, who serves on the board of directors for Riot Kitchen, based in Seattle, said Kenosha police were mistaken when they arrested the volunteers Wednesday for investigation of disorderly conduct.

"We’re not there to stir up anything," Scheurle said. "We just want to feed people. We support protesters of any kind."

The nine were released from jail Friday on about $150 bail each, paid with the help of donations, she said.

Read more: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/kenos ... li=BBnb7Kz

https://wkow.com/2020/08/28/church-truc ... n-kenosha/

The news media needs to give this as much attention to this form of McCarthyite cancel culture as it did to the right wingers who objected when the government prevented holding religious services. The Bible specifically mandates Christians to feed the hungry. Government has absolutely no right to try to stop this. As Christians, forum members should object to this illegal intrusion.

harvey1
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by harvey1 »

Good point Koko. I was thinking in terms of cancel culture and the Left's heavy use of it. That's not to say the Right is not without sin. Surely not. However, I see the Left making heavy use of it. Am I wrong? If not, then could you see this form of intolerance seaping into philosophical exchange? For example, maybe a professor discussing the merits of an argument that life begins at conception will find students boycotting their class. Perhaps the professor doesn't even accept that life begins at conception but the mere fact that the philosophical belief is treated fairly is unacceptable to the growing attacks to free speech and "free inquiry."
People say of the last day, that God shall give judgment. This is true. But it is not true as people imagine. Every man pronounces his own sentence; as he shows himself here in his essence, so will he remain everlastingly -- Meister Eckhart

koko

Post #5

Post by koko »

Yes, the left does practice cancel culture but the right does it more so. As a moderate who has had disagreed with people from both sides, I find the right to be far more guilty of this suppression than anyone else. Everyone should practice tolerance for views that do not square with theirs.

Just the other day I was on a leftist site with a chat. The host and several leftists disagreed with what I said. When I tried to offer solutions to society's ills they disregarded what I wrote. But at least they allowed me to make my posts and they did not engage in name calling or other attacks the way right wingers do.

Let us all offer solutions to society's problems. Then it will be a better place to live.

koko

Post #6

Post by koko »

radical far right cancel culture again disrupts academic freedom:

The ever intolerant far right continues to suppress any form of dissent from its Orwellian/McCarthyite ways.