Right and Wrong, Black and White

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

ElCodeMonkey
Site Supporter

Right and Wrong, Black and White

Post #1

Post by ElCodeMonkey »

Are most things black and white even though overarching rules are grey? For example, it's not right or wrong in and of itself to kill. In some instances we can say it's okay, and in others we can say it's not. If someone is trying to murder you and torture your family, it's likely okay in most people's eyes to kill that person. If you want to be the guy killing and torturing, it's clearly not okay. But in those two scenarios, I narrowed it down to a very black and white conclusion. In those exact instances, I think they are both black and white. The one good, the one bad, while "killing in general" is obviously grey due to the multiple ways it can be brought about. So for most choices and actions in our lives, can each specific instance be narrowed to black or white, good or bad, and it's simply potentially hard to know which is which? A very particular instance I am thinking of now is a decision on how to handle my neighbors. I wrack my brain almost every night trying to make the "right" move. Is there even likely to be a "right" move at all? Maybe I should just stop thinking about it and do whatever I feel like? I'm just afraid that might be the "wrong" move perhaps even if there is no "right" one :-p. Kobayashi Maru? There has to be a best wrong move which is then the right one... right? What do you think? How many moralistic decisions (i.e. not where to live/what to study) can be fully determined given their exact circumstances?
I'm Published! Christians Are Revolting: An Infidel's Progress
My Blog: Friendly By Nurture
The Wisdom I've gleaned.
My Current Beliefs.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Re: Right and Wrong, Black and White

Post #2

Post by nobspeople »

ElCodeMonkey wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:14 pm Are most things black and white even though overarching rules are grey? For example, it's not right or wrong in and of itself to kill. In some instances we can say it's okay, and in others we can say it's not. If someone is trying to murder you and torture your family, it's likely okay in most people's eyes to kill that person. If you want to be the guy killing and torturing, it's clearly not okay. But in those two scenarios, I narrowed it down to a very black and white conclusion. In those exact instances, I think they are both black and white. The one good, the one bad, while "killing in general" is obviously grey due to the multiple ways it can be brought about. So for most choices and actions in our lives, can each specific instance be narrowed to black or white, good or bad, and it's simply potentially hard to know which is which? A very particular instance I am thinking of now is a decision on how to handle my neighbors. I wrack my brain almost every night trying to make the "right" move. Is there even likely to be a "right" move at all? Maybe I should just stop thinking about it and do whatever I feel like? I'm just afraid that might be the "wrong" move perhaps even if there is no "right" one :-p. Kobayashi Maru? There has to be a best wrong move which is then the right one... right? What do you think? How many moralistic decisions (i.e. not where to live/what to study) can be fully determined given their exact circumstances?
I totally appreciate your Kobayashi Maru reference - well done! 8-)
I think most everything like this is highly individualized. What's wrong to one might not be to another right now, or it could be now, but not later in history once more is learned, not to mention rules of the society you're in at the time.
Best we can do is to do what we think is right (if that's your goal) ATM I guess
Have a great, potentially godless, day!