What is the truth about reality, and how can I know the whole truth about reality?

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

What is your position about knowing the truth about reality?

I prefer to know the truth about reality even if the truth is not comforting.
100%
I prefer to cling to my comforting religious beliefs.
No votes
I prefer to cling to my comforting non-religious beliefs.
No votes
I prefer to stay with my disturbing religious beliefs.
No votes
I prefer to stay with my disturbing non-religious beliefs.
No votes

Total votes: 3

Compassionist
Guru

What is the truth about reality, and how can I know the whole truth about reality?

Post #1

Post by Compassionist »

What is the truth about reality, and how can I know the whole truth about reality? I have been wondering for many years, but I am no closer to a reliable answer. Are there other universes? The Many-Worlds Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics say that there are many universes, but the scientists have not proved it to be so. Do we live in a simulation? How can we possibly know for sure? All the religions on Earth offer a different view of what is real but they contradict each other and they contradict what we know from science. Do you want to know the truth about reality or do you prefer to cling to comforting religious beliefs?
Last edited by Compassionist on Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mgb
Guru

Re: What is the truth about reality, and how can I know the whole truth about reality?

Post #21

Post by mgb »

[Replying to Compassionist in post #11]
Reality and truth are not the same thing. Reality is what it is. Truth is why it is what it is.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: What is the truth about reality, and how can I know the whole truth about reality?

Post #22

Post by JehovahsWitness »

If someone claimed to know the whole truth about reality, they would be the very thing many atheists deny exists.

JW
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Tcg
Savant

Post #23

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:20 pm If someone claimed to know the whole truth about reality, they would be the very thing many atheists deny exists.
Not at all. Atheists recognize the fact that many claim "to know the whole truth about reality." We also recognize that there is no reason to take such claims seriously.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

BeHereNow
Site Supporter

Post #24

Post by BeHereNow »

[Replying to Compassionist in post #7]

"Religion is about believing lies to be truths. That's why I prefer science to religion."

And yet, some scientists are religionists, demonstrating your false dilemma.

By "lies", you seem to mean claiming something is true, when others believe it is false.
By this standard, Scientists have, and continue, to believe lies.
They take pride in correcting these lies, when it has convinced itself they are lies. They are no different than religionists in this regard. When religionists have convinced themselves something is not true, they no longer believe it.

Science is about probability, not absolutes.
In Science, nothing is impossible. Some things are extremely unlikely, and other things are equally likely.

In all of Science, where is the evidence of God, or no God? There is none.
What did Science say about black swans, except that they did not exist, until they did.
Science did not cause black swans to exist.