What is the truth about reality, and how can I know the whole truth about reality?

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

What is your position about knowing the truth about reality?

I prefer to know the truth about reality even if the truth is not comforting.
3
100%
I prefer to cling to my comforting religious beliefs.
0
No votes
I prefer to cling to my comforting non-religious beliefs.
0
No votes
I prefer to stay with my disturbing religious beliefs.
0
No votes
I prefer to stay with my disturbing non-religious beliefs.
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 3

Compassionist
Sage
Posts: 607
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:56 pm
Has thanked: 311 times
Been thanked: 32 times

What is the truth about reality, and how can I know the whole truth about reality?

Post #1

Post by Compassionist »

What is the truth about reality, and how can I know the whole truth about reality? I have been wondering for many years, but I am no closer to a reliable answer. Are there other universes? The Many-Worlds Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics say that there are many universes, but the scientists have not proved it to be so. Do we live in a simulation? How can we possibly know for sure? All the religions on Earth offer a different view of what is real but they contradict each other and they contradict what we know from science. Do you want to know the truth about reality or do you prefer to cling to comforting religious beliefs?
Last edited by Compassionist on Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Athetotheist
Guru
Posts: 1151
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:24 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 173 times

Re: What is the truth about reality, and how can I know the whole truth about reality?

Post #2

Post by Athetotheist »

Actually, the poll isn't complete. There should be three options:


I prefer to know the truth about reality even if the truth is not comforting.

I prefer to cling to my comforting religious beliefs.

I prefer to cling to my comforting non-religious beliefs.

User avatar
Miles
Prodigy
Posts: 3365
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:19 pm
Has thanked: 262 times
Been thanked: 934 times

Re: What is the truth about reality, and how can I know the whole truth about reality?

Post #3

Post by Miles »

Compassionist wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:25 pm What is the truth about reality, and how can I know the whole truth about reality? I have been wondering for many years, but I am no closer to a reliable answer. Are there other universes? The Many-Worlds Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics say that there are many universes, but the scientists have not proved it to be so. Do we live in a simulation? How can we possibly know for sure? All the religions on Earth offer a different view of what is real but they contradict each other and they contradict what we know from science. Do you want to know the truth about reality or do you prefer to cling to comforting religious beliefs?
Just what issues is this "truth" suppose to address?


.

Compassionist
Sage
Posts: 607
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:56 pm
Has thanked: 311 times
Been thanked: 32 times

Re: What is the truth about reality, and how can I know the whole truth about reality?

Post #4

Post by Compassionist »

Athetotheist wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:05 pm Actually, the poll isn't complete. There should be three options:


I prefer to know the truth about reality even if the truth is not comforting.

I prefer to cling to my comforting religious beliefs.

I prefer to cling to my comforting non-religious beliefs.
Thank you for pointing that out. I have edited the poll.

Compassionist
Sage
Posts: 607
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:56 pm
Has thanked: 311 times
Been thanked: 32 times

Re: What is the truth about reality, and how can I know the whole truth about reality?

Post #5

Post by Compassionist »

Miles wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:36 pm
Compassionist wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:25 pm What is the truth about reality, and how can I know the whole truth about reality? I have been wondering for many years, but I am no closer to a reliable answer. Are there other universes? The Many-Worlds Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics say that there are many universes, but the scientists have not proved it to be so. Do we live in a simulation? How can we possibly know for sure? All the religions on Earth offer a different view of what is real but they contradict each other and they contradict what we know from science. Do you want to know the truth about reality or do you prefer to cling to comforting religious beliefs?
Just what issues is this "truth" suppose to address?


.
I am just looking for answers to my questions. Are there other universes? Do we live in a simulation? Do God or Gods exist? How can we know for sure? It's possible there are evil and real Gods who enjoy causing suffering, unfairness and death. I am anti-suffering, anti-unfairness, anti-death. I am pro-enjoyment, pro-fairness, pro-life. However, despite my best efforts, I can't stop all suffering, unfairness and deaths. I can't also prevent all suffering, unfairness and deaths. I find this to be extremely frustrating.

User avatar
The Tanager
Prodigy
Posts: 3207
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 11:08 am
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 47 times

Re: What is the truth about reality, and how can I know the whole truth about reality?

Post #6

Post by The Tanager »

Compassionist wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:25 pmAll the religions on Earth offer a different view of what is real but they contradict each other and they contradict what we know from science.
Why do you think they contradict science? I agree they contradict certain worldview's interpretations of scientific data, but I think that is different than contradicting science itself.

Compassionist
Sage
Posts: 607
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:56 pm
Has thanked: 311 times
Been thanked: 32 times

Re: What is the truth about reality, and how can I know the whole truth about reality?

Post #7

Post by Compassionist »

The Tanager wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:16 am
Compassionist wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:25 pmAll the religions on Earth offer a different view of what is real but they contradict each other and they contradict what we know from science.
Why do you think they contradict science? I agree they contradict certain worldview's interpretations of scientific data, but I think that is different than contradicting science itself.
None of the religions talk about Big Bang, Dark Matter, Dark Energy, Quantum Mechanics, General Theory of Relativity, Special Theory of Relativity, Abiogenesis, Evolution, etc. The various creation stories all contradict each other and what we have discovered through science. Science is about discovering the truth through the examination of evidence. Religion is about believing lies to be truths. That's why I prefer science to religion.

Athetotheist
Guru
Posts: 1151
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:24 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 173 times

Re: What is the truth about reality, and how can I know the whole truth about reality?

Post #8

Post by Athetotheist »

Compassionist wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:36 pm
The Tanager wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:16 am
Compassionist wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:25 pmAll the religions on Earth offer a different view of what is real but they contradict each other and they contradict what we know from science.
Why do you think they contradict science? I agree they contradict certain worldview's interpretations of scientific data, but I think that is different than contradicting science itself.
None of the religions talk about Big Bang, Dark Matter, Dark Energy, Quantum Mechanics, General Theory of Relativity, Special Theory of Relativity, Abiogenesis, Evolution, etc. The various creation stories all contradict each other and what we have discovered through science. Science is about discovering the truth through the examination of evidence. Religion is about believing lies to be truths. That's why I prefer science to religion.
Science is about discovering facts. Good science doesn't try to define ultimate truth by the facts it discovers.

User avatar
The Tanager
Prodigy
Posts: 3207
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 11:08 am
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 47 times

Re: What is the truth about reality, and how can I know the whole truth about reality?

Post #9

Post by The Tanager »

Compassionist wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:36 pmNone of the religions talk about Big Bang, Dark Matter, Dark Energy, Quantum Mechanics, General Theory of Relativity, Special Theory of Relativity, Abiogenesis, Evolution, etc. The various creation stories all contradict each other and what we have discovered through science.
Contradicting each other simply means they are not all correct, not that not of them are correct. I know plenty of Christians who talk about those things, as part of their religion. Christianity's Scriptures don't talk about those things, but they aren't meant to be a science book. They don't talk about those theories for or against. That's not contradiction. The Genesis account of creation does not contradict what we have discovered through science. Certainly some interpretations of the Genesis account do, but that's not the same thing.
Compassionist wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:36 pmScience is about discovering the truth through the examination of evidence. Religion is about believing lies to be truths. That's why I prefer science to religion.
There are questions that science cannot answer. Not that science has tried and fail, but that are non-scientific questions. Science is very important, but it's not the only source of knowledge about reality. Religion also is about discovering truth through the examination of evidence, just different kinds of questions) oftentimes working off of scientific truths.

Compassionist
Sage
Posts: 607
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:56 pm
Has thanked: 311 times
Been thanked: 32 times

Re: What is the truth about reality, and how can I know the whole truth about reality?

Post #10

Post by Compassionist »

Athetotheist wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:18 pm
Compassionist wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:36 pm
The Tanager wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:16 am
Compassionist wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:25 pmAll the religions on Earth offer a different view of what is real but they contradict each other and they contradict what we know from science.
Why do you think they contradict science? I agree they contradict certain worldview's interpretations of scientific data, but I think that is different than contradicting science itself.
None of the religions talk about Big Bang, Dark Matter, Dark Energy, Quantum Mechanics, General Theory of Relativity, Special Theory of Relativity, Abiogenesis, Evolution, etc. The various creation stories all contradict each other and what we have discovered through science. Science is about discovering the truth through the examination of evidence. Religion is about believing lies to be truths. That's why I prefer science to religion.
Science is about discovering facts. Good science doesn't try to define ultimate truth by the facts it discovers.
Facts are truths. Once we know all the facts, we will become all-knowing. What do you mean by 'ultimate truth'? How is that different from facts?

Post Reply