Prodigy

Fate. Destiny. Real or not?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Do you believe in fate* or destiny*?
Why or why not?
Are they even possible?
Why or why not?

*FATE defined here as: you do as 'something' more powerful than you has outlined for your life at every minute; DESTINY defined here: as you eventually end up at specific increments where 'something' more powerful than you designed for you to be.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Re: Fate. Destiny. Real or not?

Post #11

Post by AgnosticBoy »

nobspeople wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:48 am Do you believe in fate* or destiny*?
Why or why not?
Are they even possible?
Why or why not?

*FATE defined here as: you do as 'something' more powerful than you has outlined for your life at every minute; DESTINY defined here: as you eventually end up at specific increments where 'something' more powerful than you designed for you to be.
This is related to the topic of free-will.

I don't accept fate nor destiny as you describe it. Perhaps if it could be scaled down to varying degrees, which would be relative to the the degree of control that we can exert in our lives, then I can see it having some merit. I believe I can choose between many different paths for life. The scientific fact that we can modify behavior (although to some extent for now given our current knowledge, although I don't discount gene modification) shows that we can choose different paths. WE can put in place rewards and punishment to encourage or discourage behavior. Under the most stringent form of determinism, I'd expect even this aspect to be fixed but it's not. Therefore I don't accept that we're living in a Universe where everything is completely determined or destined.
- Proud forum owner ∣ The Agnostic Forum

- As a non-partisan, I like to be on the side of truth. - AB

nobspeople
Prodigy

Re: Fate. Destiny. Real or not?

Post #12

Post by nobspeople »

AgnosticBoy wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:14 pm
nobspeople wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:48 am Do you believe in fate* or destiny*?
Why or why not?
Are they even possible?
Why or why not?

This is related to the topic of free-will.

I don't accept fate nor destiny as you describe it. Perhaps if it could be scaled down to varying degrees, which would be relative to the the degree of control that we can exert in our lives, then I can see it having some merit. I believe I can choose between many different paths for life. The scientific fact that we can modify behavior (although to some extent for now given our current knowledge, although I don't discount gene modification) shows that we can choose different paths. WE can put in place rewards and punishment to encourage or discourage behavior. Under the most stringent form of determinism, I'd expect even this aspect to be fixed but it's not. Therefore I don't accept that we're living in a Universe where everything is completely determined or destined.
I suspect some may say that there are specific paths available to you. By you simply picking one of them, you're still picking something that was 'planned' for you, even as a possibility. Maybe that's what you meant by saying "...I don't accept that we're living in a Universe where everything is completely determined or destined."?

It may not be totally applicable, but I find it interesting that people who are related in some way (by family, being born on same day at same hospital, etc) that haven't ever met, can be drawn to the same thing, have the same interests, etc.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!