Does consciousness exist?

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Does consciousness exist?

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Re: Does consciousness exist?

Post #51

Post by Inquirer »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:35 pm
Inquirer wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:23 pm Says the person who began this one-liner exchange with "Some have no trouble seeing Santa, Mother Goose, and all manner of things that can't be shown to exist beyond the imagination.".
Santa can be seen in malls across the land, that don't mean there's a magic man with magic reindeer. Mother Goose can be seen illustrated in countless books, that don't mean there's a talking goose. Visual (and audible) hallucinations're well documented.

We're being told a god exists, and that you can see him (or effects thereof). And I say we, us humans, have been known to see a bunch of stuff that doesn't exist.
True, as its also true people have failed to see things that do exist.
JoeyKnothead wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:35 pm I don't imply folks refuse to see that which can't be shown.

I don't imply folks have blinders (blinkers) on.

I don't imply folks don't have eyes.
True, but you did imply that people who believe in God are analogous to people who believe in Santa and fairy tales.
JoeyKnothead wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:35 pm I merely pointed out then, as I do now - folks're known, and documented, to report seeing things that can only be shown to be a product of their imagination.
Yes, but it's a pointless thing to point out, you are just confusing things that you know to be false with things to believe to be false - huge difference Joey.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #52

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Inquirer wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:51 pm True, as its also true people have failed to see things that do exist.
I never said otherwise.
JK wrote: I don't imply folks refuse to see that which can't be shown.

True, but you did imply that people who believe in God are analogous to people who believe in Santa and fairy tales.
I feel no discomfort for pointing out the similarities.

Nor do I accuse such folks of being blind.
JK wrote: I merely pointed out then, as I do now - folks're known, and documented, to report seeing things that can only be shown to be a product of their imagination.
Yes, but it's a pointless thing to point out, you are just confusing things that you know to be false with things to believe to be false - huge difference Joey.
I don't think it's pointless at all - considering how some Christians seek to impose their beliefs through force of law or violence, or both.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Post #53

Post by Inquirer »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:01 pm
Inquirer wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:51 pm True, as its also true people have failed to see things that do exist.
I never said otherwise.
JK wrote: I don't imply folks refuse to see that which can't be shown.

I feel no discomfort for pointing out the similarities.

Nor do I accuse such folks of being blind.
JK wrote: I merely pointed out then, as I do now - folks're known, and documented, to report seeing things that can only be shown to be a product of their imagination.
I don't think it's pointless at all - considering how some Christians seek to impose their beliefs through force of law or violence, or both.
A true Christian would never impose their will, whatever you experienced it wasn't Christianity.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #54

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Inquirer wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:10 pm A true Christian would never impose their will, whatever you experienced it wasn't Christianity.
Would a Scotsman?
-Punkinhead Martin

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Post #55

Post by Inquirer »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:33 pm
Inquirer wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:10 pm A true Christian would never impose their will, whatever you experienced it wasn't Christianity.
Would a Scotsman?
Impose his will? perhaps, I know this Scotsman would if he felt the need to:

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #56

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Inquirer wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:44 pm
Would a Scotsman?
I reckon I shoulda been more clear... You're using the no true Scotsman fallacy.
-Punkinhead Martin

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Post #57

Post by Inquirer »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:08 pm
Inquirer wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:44 pm
Would a Scotsman?
I reckon I shoulda been more clear... You're using the no true Scotsman fallacy.
I see, and you are doing what Joey? You are using the "No true debater" fallacy, which is to say no true debater would argue that a true Christian does not impose their will.

You made the claim that a person imposing their will can also be a Christian, yet these two are - in my mind - mutually exclusive.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #58

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Inquirer wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:05 am
JoeyKnothead wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:08 pm I reckon I shoulda been more clear... You're using the no true Scotsman fallacy.
I see, and you are doing what Joey? You are using the "No true debater" fallacy, which is to say no true debater would argue that a true Christian does not impose their will.
"I know you are, but what am I"
You made the claim that a person imposing their will can also be a Christian, yet these two are - in my mind - mutually exclusive.
In your mind, there's a magic man up in the sky.
-Punkinhead Martin

William
Savant

Post #59

Post by William »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:16 am
Kylie wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:17 pm
Wootah wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:39 pm Does consciousness exist?

Research links

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conscious ... sciousness.

https://www.google.com/search?q=does+co ... nt=gws-wiz

What do you think?
I think the first step in discussing whether something exists is to define specifically what we are talking about.

So let's define "consciousness" to begin with, and once we are all sure we are talking about the same thing, we can continue.
Consciousness is that thing that has us making sure we're all talking about the same thing.
Are you sure about that? The evidence suggests we are not conscious that we are all talking about the same thing...

William
Savant

Post #60

Post by William »