Astrology

Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

OpenYourEyes
Sage

Astrology

Post #1

Post by OpenYourEyes »

I used to be an avid reader of astrology because I liked reading about the different relationship compatibility and character traits for each zodiac sign. Eventhough it could not be proven to be accurate definitively, but I thought that my zodiac sign fit me so well that there had to be some validity to it. Now I'm a bit skeptical for the following reasons:

1. Although the zodiac descriptions for my sign matches me for the most part, but there are some people with the same zodiac sign where it doesn't fit them. So it would be biased to only go by the times that the zodiac signs fits someone while ignoring all the times that it doesn't especially since the latter would go towards validity.

2. I personally know someone who was born on May 29 so he's a Gemini. Gemini are supposed to be outgoing, extraverts, unstable ("spontaneous" may be a nicer way to put it :D ). Either way, my friend is the exact opposite of this.

My theory on astrology is that the traits that are described for personality and character usually go together as a package so-to-speak(based on experience). S of course, if one of the characteristics of say a Scorpio, is to be passionate, then you from experience you can come up with other traits that would be compatible with that and fit that into a common-sense personality/character package. My collection of personality/character traits just happens to fit my zodiac sign.

For debate:
1. Is astrology accurate when it comes to personality, character, etc.?

Miles
Savant

Re: Astrology

Post #11

Post by Miles »

Thomasrive wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:32 am From my point of view, astrology is essential. We came from or GOD between the stars. So I think that the stars know what it will be like tomorrow.
Essential for what? And stars knowing stuff, how does that work?

BTW, welcome to the forum. :approve:

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #12

Post by Purple Knight »

Miles wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:23 amEssential for what? And stars knowing stuff, how does that work?
It's not a false claim; it's just determinism dressed up in a starry dress for the prom. But if you look closely, it's just the same ugly truth nobody wanted to pin a corsage on yesterday.

Yes, strictly speaking, the stars move in predetermined ways and so do we. It was already preordained that I'd stub my toe under the big dipper or find a gold nugget when Mars and Venus were in conjunction. So, it's rather unavoidable that certain stars are going to be "lucky" for me throughout my life and others generally unlucky.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #13

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to OpenYourEyes in post #11]
Is astrology accurate when it comes to personality, character, etc.?
It's pretty close for me, but if it's not right for others, it can't be said to be accurate - at least 100%.
It is an interesting concept, however.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #14

Post by Difflugia »

nobspeople wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:53 pmIt's pretty close for me, but if it's not right for others, it can't be said to be accurate - at least 100%.
Does it still work if you keep the same source, but change Zodiac signs? Like, if you were a Scorpio before, but start checking Taurus, is it less accurate than it was before?
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #15

Post by nobspeople »

Difflugia wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:53 pm
nobspeople wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:53 pmIt's pretty close for me, but if it's not right for others, it can't be said to be accurate - at least 100%.
Does it still work if you keep the same source, but change Zodiac signs? Like, if you were a Scorpio before, but start checking Taurus, is it less accurate than it was before?
Last time I checked (about 20 years ago), I did check it with a few 'adjacent' signs and I didn't fit them as well as I do mine. But even with mine, it wasn't 100% me. More like 80% I'm guessing. :?
I'd bet there's a little bit of most all the signs in each of us if we look at it honestly. 8-)

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #16

Post by Purple Knight »

nobspeople wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:04 pm
Last time I checked (about 20 years ago), I did check it with a few 'adjacent' signs and I didn't fit them as well as I do mine. But even with mine, it wasn't 100% me. More like 80% I'm guessing. :?
I'd bet there's a little bit of most all the signs in each of us if we look at it honestly. 8-)
This is testable. You could test this by taking a bunch of legit horoscopes, feeding them to people as-is, asking them to rate how well they fit, then having another group where you took all the traits and predictions and planetary alignments and scrambled them to the wrong signs, then gave them to this second group, asking them to rate how well they fit.

They did this with acupuncture I seem to recall, having one trained acupuncturist and another untrained who just stuck people full of needles randomly. The acupuncturist worked better.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #17

Post by nobspeople »

Purple Knight wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:26 pm
nobspeople wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:04 pm
This is testable. You could test this by taking a bunch of legit horoscopes, feeding them to people as-is, asking them to rate how well they fit, then having another group where you took all the traits and predictions and planetary alignments and scrambled them to the wrong signs, then gave them to this second group, asking them to rate how well they fit.

They did this with acupuncture I seem to recall, having one trained acupuncturist and another untrained who just stuck people full of needles randomly. The acupuncturist worked better.
I'd think someone, somewhere, had done this or something similar, considering all the talk about rather or not this is a legitimate thing on which people should believe.