witchcraft

Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

Telora
Apprentice

witchcraft

Post #1

Post by Telora »

Is there any middle ground between the actions that can be considered supernatural witchcraft and the faiths that directly forbid it, what exactly is forbidden and why?

JohnPaul
Banned
Banned

Post #121

Post by JohnPaul »

Divine Insight wrote:
Witchcraft itself is NOT a religion.

In fact, it's actually Wicca that has proclaimed specifically to be a "religion", and it is Wicca that claims to worship a "Goddess and God" specifically.

Although I confess that these terms have become extremely ambiguous themselves in modern times. I've been on many "Wiccan" forums and trust me all those people do is sit around arguing with each other "What is Wicca?". And they almost never agree.

I personally have accepted the term very abstractly.
As I have said in other posts, my wife was a Wiccan Witch in her younger days. Although she maintained some contact with her "coven" after our marriage, she didn't reveal many of their secrets to me. I do know that "no harm to others" was a basic doctrine and any worship of "the Goddess" was symbolic and metaphorical at most. They occasionally rented a remote cabin in the woods and spent a weekend together "communing with nature." It was certainly not an organized religion, although their "priestess" was legally authorized to perform marriages and officiated at our wedding.

When we first got together, she warned me that I better watch my step because she had both a coven of witches and a motorcycle gang to protect her. I knew about the motorcycle gang, but I didn't meet the witches until later. I liked them all very much, and even the motorcycle gang were all good people, certainly not Hell's Angels.

She did cast a spell on me and persuaded me to buy a motorcycle and ride with her. I was never really convinced the beast was practical transportation, but our honeymoon was a motorcycle trip across Washington state.

Ankhhape
Scholar

Post #122

Post by Ankhhape »

Serpent Oracle wrote:
Ankhhape wrote: What makes Traditional Witchcraft what it is, is a whole other thread topic.

I look forward to viewing that thread.
How much of the Old Craft is in fact recorded?

I would like to know for one....if like Druidism an oral tradition lost in time as it was not recorded then I would hesitantly assert that all modern witch craft is effectively Wicca, especially in Britain.
Unfortunately, I don't think there is a forum on this site that will accommodate a discussion on Traditional vs. Wiccan Craft.

Serpent Oracle
Scholar

Post #123

Post by Serpent Oracle »

Divine Insight wrote: I've been on many "Wiccan" forums and trust me all those people do is sit around arguing with each other "What is Wicca?". And they almost never agree.
Sounds like perfectly normal witch behavior.

The average size of a group of witches is 1.0 individuals ;)

Ankhhape
Scholar

Post #124

Post by Ankhhape »

Serpent Oracle wrote:
Divine Insight wrote: I've been on many "Wiccan" forums and trust me all those people do is sit around arguing with each other "What is Wicca?". And they almost never agree.

Most of the Traditional Witches I know are in covens or groves of 13 and are very focused and disciplined. That is another difference between it and Wicca

Serpent Oracle
Scholar

Post #125

Post by Serpent Oracle »

Ankhhape wrote:
Serpent Oracle wrote:
Ankhhape wrote: What makes Traditional Witchcraft what it is, is a whole other thread topic.

I would like to know for one....if like Druidism an oral tradition lost in time as it was not recorded then I would hesitantly assert that all modern witch craft is effectively Wicca, especially in Britain.
Unfortunately, I don't think there is a forum on this site that will accommodate a discussion on Traditional vs. Wiccan Craft.
Shame.

For me, a witch is type of human being, different from others, at which level I do not know maybe biologic maybe spiritual but no more different than deep thinkers or empaths or athletes are...not a religion or otherwise.

Ankhhape
Scholar

Post #126

Post by Ankhhape »

Serpent Oracle wrote:
Ankhhape wrote:
Serpent Oracle wrote:

Shame.

For me, a witch is type of human being, different from others, at which level I do not know maybe biologic maybe spiritual but no more different than deep thinkers or empaths or athletes are...not a religion or otherwise.
I can agree with that for the most part, in other words a Magi

Serpent Oracle
Scholar

Post #127

Post by Serpent Oracle »

Ankhhape wrote:
Serpent Oracle wrote:

Most of the Traditional Witches I know are in covens or groves of 13 and are very focused and disciplined. That is another difference between it and Wicca
Interesting...Grove is a Druid word.

I am not part of a coven, but I do not count a coven, a focal meeting group, because witches in my experience do their day to day witchery on their own.
Of course I do take part in annual group expeditions to the hills of Wales at Samhain, but normally I work or use my eye in solitary.
Last edited by Serpent Oracle on Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Serpent Oracle
Scholar

Post #128

Post by Serpent Oracle »

Ankhhape wrote:
Serpent Oracle wrote:
Ankhhape wrote:
Serpent Oracle wrote:

Shame.

I can agree with that for the most part, in other words a Magi
A good word.

Ankhhape
Scholar

Post #129

Post by Ankhhape »

Ok, I have started a thread on discussing/debating Trad. vs Wicca . . . look forward to hearing from you all.

Divine Insight
Savant

Re: witchcraft

Post #130

Post by Divine Insight »

Serpent Oracle wrote:
Divine Insight wrote: But yeah, on your main point I agree. Many things that are considered to be "evil" by one person may not be considered to be "evil" by another. So in general there can be no such thing as absolute evil.
Certainly there are detrimental things and beneficial things to a society, we must legislate accordingly and determine what is or isnt acceptable, using reason.
We cannot be bound by laws created for bronze age Levant nomads.
That is not acceptable.

I agree. The ancient Hebrews were nothing but male-chauvinistic homophobic bigots who were also highly religiously bigoted toward anyone who refuse to accept their bigotries as the "Word of God".

They were about the same as the modern day Taliban.

It's truly ironic that almost any "Christian" would renounce the Taliban as being disgusting whilst simultaneously worshiping the ancient Hebrews as being "The Voice of God".