Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Eastern mysticism

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 3 by Divine Insight]
In fact, you already have all the evidence you need to know that the Eastern Mystical God exists. If you fail to believe in this God it can only be because you don't understand the religion. Because if you did understand the religion you could not deny its God. At least not as the religion defines it.

The tables are turned in Eastern Mysticism. In other words, if you wish to argue for a purely secular materialistic existence, then the burden for that claim is on your shoulders. You'd have to explain how that can be true.
Over to Divine Insight or anyone that can explain it please.

Q1) what is the god of eastern mysticism?

Q2) why is the burden of proof on the materialist?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Vango
Student

Re: Eastern mysticism

Post #21

Post by Vango »

Divine Insight wrote:
Vango wrote: Well obviously it is far beyond what most humans know otherwise the vast majority of humans would be awakened and that is clearly not the case.
So, I have just one question to ask you. How long does a thought last - in a permanent, unchanging single thought state? It would be good to be able to measure it but suffice it to say (yes, for brevity's sake I will answer the question) it lasts but a moment. So clearly the mind itself dies off moment by moment and is regenerated moment by moment. In fact, in the first jhana, it is easy to see the mental thoughts as they arise, as they are sustained and as they cease. Then there are vast time periods between when the next thought arises and the whole process repeats itself with seemingly nothing connecting the two thoughts. So there is one example of how we arise and cease in samsara all the time. Physically the body is also doing this all the time especially on the subatomic level.
You are talking about concepts here that I have considered many times from many different angles. Actually you're asking the wrong question when you ask how long a moment last. Time is totally irrelevant. The question isn't a question about time or duration, but rather the question is to simply ask, "What is it that is having this experience?"

That is the important question. The duration which the experience lasts is irrelevant. The fact that experiences are in a constant state of change is also irrelevant. The fact is that my experience is only (and always) associated with what's going on in my brain (including any sensory input that my brain may be processing). My thoughts have "continuity" in this way.

For example, I don't experience really from the perspective of my brain one moment, and then experience reality from the perspective of your brain the next. Every single experience I have is from the perspective of my brain. So the duration of these experiences or how they change over time is not nearly as important as the fact that all of these experiences are tied directly to the perspective of a single brain.

So the question of how long these experiences last, or whether or not they change is basically irrelevant. The real question is "What is it that is actually having this experience?"

Can you answer that question? :-k

And also, why and how are my experiences apparently totally separate and disconnected from yours" (unless of course we are interacting and thus sharing common stimuli), but that still wouldn't be the same experiences, it would just be a sharing of stimuli which our brains translate into experiences.
It's all about perception. You think that this mind and body are you. You believe it so strongly that the mind is not allowed to focus on other mind states than those that you see as your own. So, now this also is not the right question.

The right question is "what is happening"? The mind thought arises, it is sustained for a short while and it ceases. This can be clearly seen when the mind is suitably focused. Then another mind thought arises and ceases in the same manner. When there is no activity, the mind is dead. In this way the mind is constantly being reborn. The same happens with the body. Cells die and are replaced all the time.

One does not even need to see this process happening between lifetimes, it is happening here and now all the time! There's your rebirth.
Vango wrote:
I confess that I have intuitively felt that I have always existed. I feel like there was never a time when I was not and there will never be a time when I will cease to exist. I've had these feelings since early childhood and I still have them today (no meditation or Buddhist philosophy even required).
Yes, the mind it funny like that. It gets itself into habits which are then what form one's "personality", "memories", "feelings", etc.
Well, ironically my mind seems to have gotten itself in a habit early in in childhood that many Buddhist seem to think should require a lifetime of mediation.
Vango wrote:
The problem remains however: How can you be sure that your intuitive "experience" is actually reflecting reality? :-k
Very tricky one! The mind is trying to trick itself all the time. Only after many years/decades/lifetimes of noticing can one start to awaken to reality.
But what is reality then?

Are you the being that is aware? If so why are you trying to trick yourself?
The mind has habits. Its main habit is being active. It is so difficult to calm it. It constantly "fights" efforts to calm it. Very tricky thing indeed! In this case I just have to give a dhamma quote:

"Though he may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, he is indeed the victor who conquers himself."

How awesome is that???

Is the "mind" something different from you? And if so, then what exactly do you believe you are?
Stop talking of a "you" and a "me". Reminds me of the time my young daughter was angry because someone had taken something of "hers". I asked who she was. She responded this body was her. I asked her if her hair was part of her. Why of course she answered. I took a strand of hair and pulled it out of "her" head. Is this strand of hair "you"? Yes... came the tentative and somewhat defiant answer. I then threw the strand of hair in the rubbish bin. Is it still you? Only then did she give up the notion of attributing a self to that strand of hair. I do like to mentally toy with my kids but it has made them the critical thinkers they are today.

Vango wrote:
After all, it necessarily must be samsara of conscious awareness. Otherwise it's just pure secular atheism. Atheists will grant that all the energy of existence continues on after we die. But if our conscious awareness is not specifically carried on, then Buddhism is doing nothing more than agreeing with secular atheism.
Atheists will not grant that "energy" does anything of the sort. Atheists are mostly materialists and state that nothing lives on after death.
I would disagree with you are on that point. I've been a scientist my entire life and I think it's safe to say that all secular scientists believe that everything that constituted your existence will live on after your death. The only question that remain is whether or not the experience of the whole affair is itself material.
As there is no clinical evidence for this it must be a belief system that scientists have. I would have to say I am surprised.
Ironically materialists don't believe that you "mind" (or awareness) is material at all. On the contrary they see this a being some sort of feedback loop that occurs due to the function of your biological analog computer that we call a "brain".
A materialist attributes the mind to the electrochemical reactions in the brain. That's it. Otherwise they would not be materialists.
There is no reason to believe that this "configuration" lives on after it ceases. The energy can continue on, but the energy is no longer in the configuration required to have an experience.
What energy are we talking about here? Chemical energy (heat), electromagnetic radiation, kinetic energy??? I don't understand what energy would "live on".
Vango wrote: But then the Buddha also categorically states according to the suttas that nothing lives on after death. In fact in one of the suttas he rebuked one of his monks for stating otherwise.
Sounds like pure secular materialism to me.
Vango wrote: But this has nothing to do with atheism as atheism is strictly the non belief of gods. That is why any Buddhist is also an atheist. No gods, no worship, no supplication required.
I think it's pretty fair to use the terms "Pure secular atheist" and "Pure secular materialist" interchangeably. I don't think that secular materialists believe in any Gods. And I think that most pure secular atheists have not much choice left but to believe in a purely materialistic world.
Vango wrote: In fact, I often refer to myself as an atheist. Atheists do also tend to be skeptics and that is where their materialism beliefs come in. I have been sin-binned in an atheist forum for daring to declare the the mind and body and be separate. C'est la vie.
Well, to make such a claim does suggest that you should have evidence to back it up. ;)
Indeed. And even though there is anecdotal evidence of patients on the operating table, clinically dead (no heartbeat, no brain activity) being revived and being able to recount everything that was said and done in the operating theatre it hardly constitutes clinically tested evidence.
I personally don't think of the mystical views in that way. I would never claim that mind and body are separate. On the contrary I would claim that they are inseparable. And this included being separated in the way that pure secular materialism attempts to do.

My argument goes as follows:

1. Somethings exists. (that should be accepted as self-evident)
2. Something is having an experience (again this should be self-evident to anyone who experiences reading these words)
3. I conclude that whatever exists is having this experience.

I make no separation between the two partly because I see no reason to do so, and also because I can't personally understand what would be having an experience if not the something that exists. ;)

So this would hardly require a separation of mind and body. Neither can exist without the other. It's a holistic view of reality that requires no separation between anything.

I confess that it is problematic. Because even though I just said that it requires no separation between things, in a way it actually does. For example, you experience is separate from my experience. Why is that? :-k

Well, actually secular materialism explains precisely what that is. Each experience is due to individual feedback loops in individual biological computers, and this is why experiences are separate.

To stick with the holistic picture I need to imagine a single cosmic mind that simply allows for many different facets of experience to be taking place within it simultaneously. And that's what I then try to imagine. Actually in our modern day of computers, and with my deep understanding of how computers work (not just digital computers, but analog computers too) I can understand how a cosmic mind could potentially pull this off. It also makes sense why it would want to play this game.

This leave the Eastern mystical philosophies "open" to me. In the sense that I cannot rule them out, and I can even imagine ways in which they can be plausibly implemented.

But I confess too that the pure secular materialists might be onto something as well.

The only real problem that I have with the pure secular materialistic view of reality is that not only does all the material need to exist "magically". But it also needs to coincidentally be of the form that it can actually evolved into biological computers that can self-construct feedback loops in order to somehow magically created an experience as an "emergent property" of this basically innate material. Innate in the sense that this material has no ability to experience anything.

So for me, the "emergent property" theory of pure materialism seems to be at lease as absurd and magical as the mystical picture.

So as far as I can see either reality is equally absurd, and potentially equally plausible.

~~~~

But here's the bottom line. You seem to be suggesting that if we mediate and quite our minds enough we can actually have an experience that will allow us to differentiate between these two possible realities.

I just can't see that.

What could you possibly "experience" that would convince you that you are not just a feedback loop in an analog brain?
How about stopping the whole process? How about stopping mental fermentations (thoughts) and consciousness (the knower)? I think that should be enough to prove that the "feedback loop" is irrelevant. It can be started and stopped at will by those with the mental power and capability. I can't say I am of that level but I have seen enough to believe it is possible. I can't prove it of course as the "evidence" is once again anecdotal. One can speak with Buddhist monks that so have that capability. They will not only tell you how it happens but will also teach you how to do it. It requires time, right effort, guidance and more time.
It seems to me that to actually realize that you are something more than this you would need to have a seriously profound "enlightenment" that would somehow convince you beyond a reasonable doubt that you are something more than this.
Or something less than this would be more accurate. Don't forget, nothing lives on after death so not even the mind states can traverse that barrier.
But what could such an experience be?

The only way I would be convinced of something like that is if I could mediate, see into the future and know what tomorrow's lottery number will be, then go out and play it and have it actually come up. Now that would be a convincing experience that my mind must be something more than just a feedback loop in my brain.

But I don't see any evidence that any Buddhists were ever able to mediate and come back with any information they couldn't obtain with the analog computer of their very own isolated brain.
Seeing into the future is not possible. The possibilities would increase so dramatically just seconds into the future that it becomes ridiculously impossible to do so. One can make some predictions though. Whenever I see a voodoo palm reader or other sharlatan on the streets, I turn to whoever I am with and tell them that I can tell their future with 100% accuracy. They will die with 100% certainty. When that happens I can't predict but I can confidently predict that it will happen in their future.

However, one can see the mind in operation. Seeing every single thought as it arises is sustained and then ceases is absolutely possible. You will not miss a thought and in fact you will see boredom arise as you await the next thought - it takes so long for it to arise. This can be done once the mind is calm and clear enough. When the mind is then suitable trained and exercised so that it can attain the jhanas, once coming out of jhana one can apply this newly exercised mind to past thoughts. One can follow the previous thought and the one before that and the one before that. One can take the mind back to its childhood and if the mind is strong enough (mind gym is a tough place) the mind can remember the process to before this current being emerged from the womb. Once again, this is anecdotal evidence from beings whose minds are vastly more powerful than "mine". They exercise their minds entering jhanas and training for many months on end year in year out. I don't have the time to do this but they assure me that not only is it possible but they have helped other lay people to achieve this for themselves. Having seen a little of what the mind is capable when it calms down, I have not reason to disbelieve them.

agnosticatheist
Banned
Banned

Post #22

Post by agnosticatheist »

Divine Insight wrote:They describe what they believe to be a preexisting physical world, and then ultimately need to work backwards to try to explain their own ability to experience this world in terms of objective material stuff. Stuff which is incapable of even having an experience.
Material "stuff" might be incapable of having an experience, but what about the possibility that awareness/consciousness could emerge from material processes? This is similar to the idea of swarm behavior emerging from the actions of each individual insect of a swarm.

Perhaps this could one day be discovered and explained? Or perhaps it wont?

Being the rational, skeptical thinker that you are, I am sure that you consider the Philadelphia Experiment and Montauk Project legends with a fair amount of skepticism, but one person who claims to have been involved with the project, claimed in a video (it can be viewed on YouTube) that the human brain is electromagnetic.

What if our awareness is some type of electromagnetic phenomenon?

It might be totally bogus, but I do think it is at least an interesting idea.

I think it is better to pursue this avenue first rather than resort to the second approach you described in this thread, because that approach is ultimately non-falsifiable.

With all that said, maybe I'm missing something here. :)

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #23

Post by Divine Insight »

agnosticatheist wrote: What if our awareness is some type of electromagnetic phenomenon?

It might be totally bogus, but I do think it is at least an interesting idea.

I think it is better to pursue this avenue first rather than resort to the second approach you described in this thread, because that approach is ultimately non-falsifiable.

With all that said, maybe I'm missing something here. :)
From a scientific point of view you are correct. It may ultimately be non-falsifiable in any objective way if reality is genuinely "spiritual" in nature. But should we then dismiss it as being implausible or even impossible?

I don't see why. Especially considering that science isn't explaining where anything ever came from in the first place. I mean, how can science ever be an answer for the question: "What is the true nature of reality"?

This question may simply be beyond the scope of science to answer.

~~~~

Getting back to your point about conscious awareness possibly being nothing more than a configuration of electromagnetic patterns. I would agree that this is the most likely physical avenue to investigate for sure. And specifically in terms of "feed-back loops".

Having worked on servo systems and electronic guidance systems for "smart bombs", I'm fully aware of the power of electronic feedback systems. They are amazing to be sure. When a feedback servo is working properly it does appear to take on a "life" of its own.

In fact, I have always held that if we ever build a "sentient brain", it will necessarily need to be analog computer, and not a digital computer. An analogy computer is the only computer capable of actually creating the kind of dynamic and instantaneous feedback loops that have any potential of ever becoming "sentient" in the truest sense of the concept.

When I was a young boy I played with an analog computer similar to the one shown in the photo below.

I was actually more excited about analog computers than digital computers. But of course, digital computers are far more handy form a programming point of view. It's much easier to write lines of code than trying to wire up an analog computer to make it do what you want. But that's actually from a programmer's point of view. The analog computer actually shows more promise from a computing point of view.

Our brains are actually analog computers, not digital computers.

I can't see how a digital computer could even become sentient because it's nothing but lines of code being processed through a processor. There is nothing there to become sentient.

In the case of an analog computer the whole configuration is one. The whole computer is processing everything all at once. It's all interconnected and feeds back on its own outputs. So I actually have a window into how this could be done.

But there still remains the question of "What is actually having the experience?"

Is this mass of wires and electronic OP-AMPS feeding back on each other having an experience?

Or perhaps, as you suggest, maybe it the electromagnetic activity that is somehow having an experience?

But that still bring the question to my mind, "How in the world can electromagnetic fields have an experience?"

To me this suggesting that perhaps electromagnetism itself can somehow innately have an experience.

Also, we need to ask the question, "What is electromagnetism anyway?"

Well, thanks to James Clerk Maxwell we do know that electromagnetism is a single phenomenon, and thanks to the Standard Model of Particle physics we believe that we know that it's basically a "field" of energy that seems to transmit and receive feedback via the exchange of "bosons" we call photons.

So far so good. We have a "macro physical description" of what's going on.

But wait a minute? Did I just say "macro"?

Yes I did, even though I was also referring to things like electrons and photons which are quantum phenomena. This field of electromagnetic is not only interacting on a macro level via the exchange of photons, but these photons and electrons are themselves quantum phenomena capable of doing all those weird and strange quantum things as well.

If our conscious awareness is indeed a property of electromagnetic patterns, then our consciousness not only resides in the physical macro world, but it equally belongs to the mysterious quantum world as well. All electromagnetic phenomena is quantum phenomena.

Many secular atheists object to the brain being "in communication" with anything physically removed from the brain. They claim that if such a communication was talking place they should be able to measure it in the form of some sort of radiation propagating through spacetime. But why should that need to be the case?

We know that in the quantum domain quantum particles such as electrons and photons can be anywhere in space, including being in two places simultaneously. Or traversing great distances without having passed through any intermediate space.

If we are patterns of electromagnetic radiation, then our "ground of being" may be the electromagnetic field. (whatever that might be) For science it's just a theoretical concept. But one that seems to have some essence of reality to it.

But my thinking is that if we are an electromagnetic field having an experience then we may simply be a facet of some much greater electromagnetic field that is in essence a holistic phenomenon. Connected through the quantum domain from which it arises.

~~~~

I mean, hey this may seem like I'm going off the deep end of philosophical speculation here, but surely you can see that this also has potential physics behind it as well.

It's an idea that is totally compatible with both "Modern Physics" and with ideas related to at least some "Mystical Philosophies".

This of course doesn't mean that these mystical philosophies must then be true. But it seems to me that it at least means that they can't be ruled out, and may very well have some valid points to make that don't conflict with our modern understanding of physics at all.

So all I'm "arguing for" is plausibility, and the idea that it's far too early to rule these mystical ideas out entirely based on what we know about science.

It could be that we can rule these mystical ideas out at some point in the future. But I think it's far too early to rule them out at this point.

That's really all I'm saying.

~~~~

So yes, I suppose it's possible that we could just be "pockets" of awareness that arise from electromagnetic patterns. And when those patterns cease the awareness ceases and that's the end of it.

This seems to be what secular atheists are almost "rooting" for. Like they actually prefer this explanation. Perhaps it appears to them to be the epitome of Occam's Razor. A short and sweet explanation that doesn't require anything beyond these pockets of patterns.

I'm just not sold on the idea of why a pattern should be able to have an experience? It just seems more intuitive to me (and I realize that doesn't mean diddly squat), but it just seems more reasonable to me that it's not the pattern that is having an experience, but rather it's the field that's having the experience of being in that pattern.

And so in my mind, it's easy for me to imagine this 'field' of electromagnetism (or energy) as being a larger holistic entity.

Of course, I wouldn't stop there. I would also imagine that all vibrating quantum fields are this same larger holistic entity. Or at least properties thereof.

For lack of a better term, we call this larger holistic entity "God". And as the mystics then point out "Tat t'vam asi" meaning "Your are that". You are this mind of reality. Or at least a "facet of it" (i.e. a pocket of patterns).

But the core of your underlying being (the actually entity that you are), is not the pattern, but rather it's the stuff that has become the pattern.

It's a strange philosophy to be sure. And it has its own problems as well. Like how does this holistic entity divide its awareness up into these separate pockets of patterns that we experience as our brains?

Also many Christians don't like this philosophy at all because they see it as meaning that in the end, when all is said and done, then all that truly exists is one mind and we are it. And that doesn't appeal to the ego at all. It also implies than in the end we are all nothing more than a very lonely God who is just dreaming of being a bunch of different people.

The mystic try to avoid dwelling on these types of questions. They are content with just tossing their hands up in the air on that one and confessing that they have no clue how this might be done by the mind that is "God". They are content with accepting that it's all a mystery and this is why they call it "Mysticism". ;)

The mystics aren't concerned with having logical and scientific explanations for how "God" achieves this illusion of reality. Clearly something exists as opposed to there simply never having ever been anything. The mere fact that we exist at all seems sufficient to conclude that something "mystical" is going on.

Even if pure secular materialism is true, that's still pretty darn "Mystical".

The fact that some stuff just happens to exist that can evolved into complex patters of electromagnetic behaviors that can actually have a lucid experience is surely 'mystical' even if we could find the mathematical description of how it all evolved.

Like Stephen Hawking once said, "Even if we find a theory of everything, it will just be a mathematical equation, but what is it that breathes life into the equation and causes a universe for it to describe?"

So even if we had a complete full mathematical description of precisely how the universe came into being and has evolved, we'd still having nothing but an equation sitting on a piece of paper that truly doesn't tell us anything at all about why there exists a universe for this equation to describe.

So even pure secular materialism ends up being total "Mysticism".

We can't seem to avoid that fate no matter what we do.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

chevron1
Banned
Banned

Post #24

Post by chevron1 »

Divine Insight wrote:
Wootah wrote: Q1) what is the god of eastern mysticism?
In fact, there exists eastern religions that have indeed missed the point. And because of this they have actually created external godheads to worship.

This is why I point to Taoism as one of the few eastern religions that has retained the mystical nature of god. They abstractly refer to god as "The Tao", although the "The Tao" actually means the "The Way". And even this is grossly misunderstood in western cultures. Because in the west "The Way" is see as a code of behavior or a path that must be taken in order to get to god. But that's not the original meaning. "The Way" simply means "they way things are". And of course if a person wants to be in harmony with the way things are, then they must be in harmony with "The Tao". Because the Tao is the way things are.

This is actually a very productive philosophy. This is a philosophy in which science is 100% compatible. Why? Because in mysticism life is seen to be a dream in the mind of god (the great "I AM") and science is nothing other than an attempt to explain how the dream is manifest in what we perceive to be a physical world. So science is a perfectly compatible field of study in mysticism. However, while it may be able to determine the rules of the dream it will never determine the true nature of the dreamer (i.e. of god). Especially if it thinks that god is "out there" like all the rest of the physical world.

The burden of proof therefore is on the materialist. What they need to prove is how it can be that material (energy and matter) can have an experience. When they do not allow that (energy and matter) innately has this ability.
So Taoism is the most self-evident philosophy of them all. There is nothing to prove. The proof is in "I AM". We already have the proof of Taoism in our very own experience. This is from whence Taoism begins. It doesn't end here as a conclusion, but instead it begins with this innate truth. It begins with the only truth we can ever know for certain....

in metaphysical taoism, tao is not god because it is not a deity and does not heed prayer. metaphysical taoism based on classical taoism follows a panentheistic model. the cosmic mother (wu-ji) is made of mystical non-being. the universe (tai-ji) is a fetus in its womb. reality is the universe. things in the universe (including the universe itself) have cosmic DNA. that's how they can grow without any instruction from the mother. cosmic DNA actually has support in the world of physics. taoism does need proof. it is not a world of imagination like the sunyata of the buddhists. metaphysical taoism is compatible with science because its precepts are compatible with science, not because the proof is in "I AM". the proof is from scientific experimentation and discovery. metaphysical taoism is one religion that combines with science to become a scientific religion.

Vango
Student

Post #25

Post by Vango »

[Replying to chevron1]

Pity there's no "I".

chevron1
Banned
Banned

Post #26

Post by chevron1 »

Vango wrote: [Replying to chevron1]

Pity there's no "I".
if there is no "I" (anatta) then there is no you and no world (sunyata). then there is no suffering, no real crime and no need for compassion. there is no need to make money and there is no need to eat.

Vango
Student

Post #27

Post by Vango »

chevron1 wrote:

Pity there's no "I".
if there is no "I" (anatta) then there is no you and no world (sunyata). then there is no suffering, no real crime and no need for compassion. there is no need to make money and there is no need to eat.
Now you're getting it...

chevron1
Banned
Banned

Post #28

Post by chevron1 »

Now you're getting it...
if there is no "I" then what happens if someone hurts your family?

Vango
Student

Post #29

Post by Vango »

chevron1 wrote:
Now you're getting it...
Someone hurts my family is what happens.

chevron1
Banned
Banned

Post #30

Post by chevron1 »

Vango wrote:
chevron1 wrote:
Now you're getting it...
Someone hurts my family is what happens.
then am i correct to say: if your family suffers, you feel compassion but no obligation to help them because they are an illusion?