Misconceptions about Christianity

Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

Burninglight
Guru

Misconceptions about Christianity

Post #1

Post by Burninglight »

1. Christianity is based on blind faith. Christianity is not based on blind faith, but rather faith based on evidence. Blind faith is superstition. Christianity is overwhelmingly supported by reason, evidence, and scientific inquiry. http://www.faithfacts.org/search-for-tr ... christians.

2. We get to heaven based on how good we are here on earth. This is not true we are saved by grace through faith it is not of ourselves; it is the gift of God.

3. Once we become a Christian, being saved by God’s gift of grace, it does not matter what we do
This is not true. God is not mocked. Whatever a man sows, so shall he reap.

4. There are many ways to heaven, many paths to God. Because man is separated from God by his sin, the penalty for our sin had to be paid somehow for justice to be done. Jesus Christ paid the penalty for our sins. Thus Christ is thus the only name under heaven by which man may be saved (Acts 4:12). http://www.faithfacts.org/search-for-tr ... s-the-same.

5. It doesn’t matter what you believe as long as you are sincere. This is a nice idea, but does not hold up to logic. Christianity is so radically different from other belief systems that if Christianity is true, the others are false. One can be sincere and be sincerely wrong. Sincere belief in a cult, in a false religion, in atheism, or in the tooth fairy do not get one to heaven.
http://www.faithfacts.org/world-religio ... ristianity.

6. The New Testament was written long after the events took place and are thus subject to legends being inserted into the text. The New Testament was written entirely by eye witnesses to the life of Christ or by interviewers of eyewitnesses. Many of the books were written within 25 or so years of Christ’s death, and many scholars—both liberal and conservative—are moving toward the view that all of the books of the New Testament were written prior to the destruction of Jerusalem by the Romans in 70 AD. The one book for which some doubt remains is Revelation. But recent scholarship holds that even this book was written prior to 70 AD. This is the view that liberal scholar John A. T. Robinson presents in his book Redating the New Testament. This is also the view that conservative scholar Kenneth Gentry presents in his book Before Jerusalem Fell. So there was not enough time for the stories to have been developed into legend. Further, as professor of Medieval and Renaissance English, C. S. Lewis said, “Another point is that on that view you would have to regard the accounts of the Man [Jesus] as being legends. Now, as a literary historian, I am perfectly convinced that whatever else the Gospels are they are not legends. I have read a great deal of legend and I am quite clear that they are not the same sort of thing.� (quote from Lewis’ “God in the Dock.�)

7. The Bible has been changed or is otherwise not true to the original manuscripts. The original manuscripts—that is, the actual pieces of parchment or papyrus upon which St. Paul and others wrote the Bible—are no longer extant. But, especially as regards to the New Testament there has been an unbroken chain of manuscripts from the originals. There are thousands of ancient manuscripts extant, including ones from the first and second centuries. Scholars have been able to correlate the manuscripts to know that the Bible we have today is faithful to the originals. See http://www.faithfacts.org/search-for-truth/maps. A good book on this issue is The New Testament Documents: Are They Reliable? by F. F. Bruce. Regarding the Old Testament, the Dead Sea Scrolls, first discovered in 1947 were from the time of Christ and even to the 2nd century BC. These manuscripts predate the previously oldest known manuscripts by a thousand years. Comparisons of these texts with the others already in existence showed that they were essentially identical. This information confirms how carefully the texts were copied over the centuries and has given scholars tremendous confidence in the accuracy of the Old Testament we have today.

Burninglight
Guru

Re: Misconceptions about Christianity

Post #31

Post by Burninglight »

Goat wrote:
Burninglight wrote:
I will deal with your points as I can. You said, "David is not a prophet." That is incorrect: Acts 2: 29 “Brothers, I may say to you with confidence about the patriarch David that he both died and was buried, and his tomb is with us to this day. 30 Being therefore a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him that he would set one of his descendants on his throne, 31 he foresaw and spoke about the resurrection of the Christ, that he was not abandoned to Hades, nor did his flesh see corruption. 32 This Jesus God raised up, and of that we all are witnesses. 33 Being therefore exalted at the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, he has poured out this that you yourselves are seeing and hearing. 34 For David did not ascend into the heavens, but he himself says,

“‘The Lord said to my Lord,
“Sit at my right hand,
35 until I make your enemies your footstool.�’

36 Let all the house of Israel therefore know for certain that God has made him both Lord and Christ, this Jesus whom you crucified.�

Jesus is called the Lion of the tribe of Judah. If those prophecies weren't about Jesus, then who are they about? In the OT days people lived for 100s of years.

Herod kills children (Jeremiah 31:15; Matthew 2:16)

"And nobody noticed …. Not even Josephus? You’d think that if there were this massacre of Jewish male babies – future taxpayers to the Roman Empire ….. someone would have noticed and complained!

But nobody did ….. other than the disciples, writing well after the supposed fact. You says there were many massacred to have an affect on tax payers?" It could have just been 20 or 30 male children killed. No number was specified. If the disciples noticed and documented it you can't say nobody noticed it.
Eh.. it doesn't matter what acts said about David. As far as the Jewish scripture is concerned, the New Testament is not scripture and not from God. .. and what you call 'The Old Testament' IS the scriptures of the Jewish people. When you Christians read from the Jewish scriptures and interpret it.. well, you get it wrong. It's not your fault, because it's not your book.

Now, the thing is.. the books you claim were 'documented by the disciples' were not even WRITTEN by them.. but decades later, by people who wanted to relate their new Books with things that happened in the Jewish scriptures. Even if it was 2 or 3.. I think the people who were historians and hated Herod would have said something.

Your explanation rings hollow.
I used to think David wasn't a prophet until A Muslim showed me acts. I always thought of David as just a beloved king of Israel. But acts shows him to be a prophet. I guess I can accept that. He did predict how he would waste the giant he fought. You don't even believe in God so all you say rings hollow ro me

Autodidact
Prodigy

Re: The Lion of the tribe of Judah

Post #32

Post by Autodidact »

.Friend, I take it that you are Jewish, but you identify with being an atheist. Your saying Christ doesn't exist is like me saying the holocaust never happened and Hitler never existed
. No, it isn't.
Let me define Christian for you:
A true Biblical Christian is someone who is not a nominal Christian; iow, someone who has Christ living inside their heart. One who followers the teachings of Christ that taught us to love our enemies and pray for those that despitefully use us. He is someone who lays down his life for a friend. Someone who helps the needy regardless of race or nationality. Someone who visits the the sick and those in prisons. Someone who shares their food with the hungry and cloth the naked. Those who call themselves Christians and beat their fellow man into subjection are not following the will of God. On the last day they they might be the ones that say "Lord, Lord didn't we do many great works in your name?" and the Lord will say "I never knew you depart from me you workers of iniquity." Finally, A Christians is someone who loves God with all his heart, soul and mind and his neighbor as himself!
Oh, I see, a mythical creature.

Autodidact
Prodigy

Post #33

Post by Autodidact »

Secondly, it is true that non Christians do kind, loving things for others and they do reap in this life what they sow, but in the life to come, that is not something that can be earned or bought. It is a gift, and to receive it, we must meet God on His terms. Thirdly, I am not putting words in your mouth intentionally, but I wish I could say the same about you.
Please stop preaching. It is against forum rules. If you want to make an argument that this is the case, feel free. And good luck with that.
For instance, I never said Jews hate Christmas, I said they take the Christ out of it, and I wasn't meaning to post that to you. I never said they are looking to make money off of Christians either. IMO, they do not discriminate on who to make money from. I never said there is anything wrong with it either. I just pointed out that they take the name of Christ out of Christmas by saying Xmas. They don't acknowledge the reason for the season. I believe God doesn't like when people ignore His son. That goes for any person not just Jewish people.
The reason for the season is solstice. Christianity's attempt to appropriate the pagan holiday has not been entirely successful.
It looks like you are trying to demonize me. For what? Speaking the truth?
BTW, a true Christian that doesn't worship Jesus is an oxymornon! Most Catholics IMO, are nominal Christians. I used to be one so I know. But that is not all Catholics.
No one is trying to demonize you, and you haven't been speaking the truth.

btw, are there a lot of people who call themselves Christian, but who are not?
A true follower of God can be called catholic or a Muslim if you look at the true meanings of those words, but God looks at the heart.
Really? You do realize that you contradicted yourself, right?

Autodidact
Prodigy

Post #34

Post by Autodidact »

Here's what you don't get, burning: For centuries, Christians have been slaughtering Jews, based on lies, stereotypes, propaganda and tribal hatred. The kinds of statements you have been making are part and parcel of that history. Every Jew in this forum has ancestors who were murdered by Christians, some of us very recently. So we get a bit upset when people start spewing the same anti-semitic crap that leads to hordes of ignorant Christians riding into our towns, burning our houses, raping us and cutting us down with swords.

You think it's innocent to preach at us about Christianity? For centuries, Christians have been doing just that, then killing us for daring to disagree.

You want to proselytize to Jews? Did you know that the main tool Christians have used to do that is the sword? And various horrible instruments of torture too horrible to describe? Think we might be just a tad irritated when someone starts preaching at us?

Act like what you call a "true Christian" and respect the Jewish desire not to be preached at by Christians; it makes us very, very, nervous.

I'll tell you the definition of a Christian. A Christian is someone who may, or may not, want to kill me for not being a Christian, so it's better to stay as far away as possible from them.

Suluby
Apprentice

Post #35

Post by Suluby »

Burninglight wrote:
Suluby wrote:
Burninglight wrote: Friend, I take it that you are Jewish, but you identify with being an atheist.
You are very confused! First you thought I was a Muslim, now you are sure I'm an atheist. What will you think I am next???

I am Jewish. I have always been Jewish and I always will be Jewish. I believe in G-d, the One, the Ineffable, the Unexplainable, the indivisible One G-d. I do not believe G-d was ever a human being.

Are we clear on that, now?
Your saying Christ doesn't exist is like me saying the holocaust never happened and Hitler never existed.

I have NEVER EVER said that I do not believe that a man named Jesus ever existed. EVER.

You don't closely read what other poster actually say, do you? Or maybe you just don't understand what they say. Whatever. But you really must stop putting words in my mouth!

You need to define antisemitism since you are implyingI am but not overtly, because your explanation of what I do is not antisemitism. You are saying that everyone who doesn't believe in Judaism as God's will for Jews or the world is antisemitic. I am not against any Jews, but I am definitely not for Islam or Judaism.

Yeah, sure. Judaism is a failed religion. Jews are Christ-killers. Jews get rich making money off poor beleaguered Christians.

Those are YOUR words ..... and they are not indicative of respect, regard or love.

FYI, one can be against a religion without being against the person. Do you know the difference? Muslim don't seem to.
I know that. I also know that there is a very fine line between being against a religion and being against a person of that religion. And I noticed when that talk started coming from you ...... it was when you were faced with someone who would not back down. It's very reasonable to think that it is you who cannot separate the person and their religion, because it is you who uses that kind of denigration when others must defend their religions against your onslaughts.

I am not a Muslim. Why do you persist with that????

A true Biblical Christian is someone who is not a nominal Christian; iow, someone who has Christ living inside their heart. One who followers the teachings of Christ that taught us to love our enemies and pray for those that despitefully use you. It is someone who lays down his life for a friend. Someone who helps the needy regardless of race or nationality. Someone who visits the the sick and those in prisons. Who share their food with the hunger cloth the naked. Those who call themselves Christians and beat their fellow man into subjection are not following the will of God. On the last they they might be the ones that say "Lord, Lord didn't we do many great works in your name?" and the Lord will say I never knew you depart from me you workers of iniquity. Finally, A Christians is someone who loves God with all his heart, soul and mind and his neighbor as himself!
That's all well and good. I knew that.

But I so rarely see anyone acting that way ..... online. No compassion, no friendship, no respect, no live and let live. What I do see most often is people like you. When you can't lead us down the cyber-aisle to the altar call screaming "Jeeeesssuuuusss" and diving headfirst into the cyber-baptismal font - it's "Jews are Christ-killers"!

Oh, BTW ..... lots and lots and lots of people are "True Christians" and HUGE numbers of them don't worship Jesus. They are mentschen ..... decent, caring, loving people who care about others and take care of them.

Atheists, Muslims, Jews, Catholics, pagans ..... I know many of them who do all the things you say make one a "True" Christian. Why do you seem to think that only Christians ..... only "True" Christians at that, act that way?

Such decency, such humanity, such humility is not the exclusive possession of only those who meet your standards of being a "True Christian".

I know Jesus wasn't born of December 25th, but what does that have to do with the price of rice in China?
About as much as your snide and very nasty and very untrue statement that Jews hate Christmas but get rich off of Christians.

Nobody is holding a gun to the heads of those people who put more stock in what money can buy for them than the true reason for the season. Especially not the Jews. They do it to themselves. But you need to find someone else to blame ......... and you pick the Jews. In your mind - based on your words - it is the fault of the Jews.
First of all, my apologies on not getting your religion correct. Secondly, it is true that non Christians do kind, loving things for others and they do reap in this life what they sow, but in the life to come, that is not something that can be earned or bought. It is a gift, and to receive it, we must meet God on His terms. Thirdly, I am not putting words in your mouth intentionally, but I wish I could say the same about you.

For instance, I never said Jews hate Christmas, I said they take the Christ out of it, and I wasn't meaning to post that to you. I never said they are looking to make money off of Christians either. IMO, they do not discriminate on who to make money from.
WOW!! @@ You just can't help yourself, can you??? It's like you only open your mouth to change feet!

All Jews are not rich. We are not all robber barons making fortunes on the backs of the oppressed.

I never said there is anything wrong with it either. I just pointed out that they take the name of Christ out of Christmas by saying Xmas. They don't acknowledge the reason for the season. I believe God doesn't like when people ignore His son. That goes for any person not just Jewish people.
Jews haven't taking anything out of Christmas.

If Jesus has been forgotten, he was forgotten by all the Christians who rush to the malls to spend, spend, spend in a frenzy all the money they don't have on stuff they don't need. Jews and all non-Christians have NOTHING to do with that!

You are pissed that some people refer to Christmas as Xmas? Learn something ..... instead of just picking on your favorite whipping boys - the Jews!

"Christmas," 1551, X'temmas, wherein the X is an abbreviation for Christ in Christmas, from first letter of Greek Christos "Christ" (see Christ). The earlier way to abbreviate it was Xp- or Xr-, corresponding to "Chr-," and the form Xres mæsse for "Christmas" appears in the "Anglo-Saxon Chronicle" (c.1100). http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=Xmas

But the history of the word “Xmas� is actually more respectable — and fascinating — than you might suspect.

First of all, the abbreviation predates by centuries its use in gaudy advertisements. It was first used in the mid 1500s.

X is the Greek letter “chi,� the initial letter in the word Χ�ιστός. And here’s the kicker: Χ�ιστός means “Christ.� X has been an acceptable representation of the word “Christ� for hundreds of years. This device is known as a Christogram.

The “mas� in Xmas is the Old English word for “mass.�

http://hotword.dictionary.com/xmas-chri ... q2HkBXU.99

Xmas is a common abbreviation for Christmas. Many people consider the use of Xmas as an attempt to “take Christ out of Christmas.� However, the etymology of Xmas tells a different story.

The mas of Xmas comes from the Old English mass, meaning a celebration of the Eucharist. The X is derived from the Greek letter Chi, the first letter in the Greek word for Christ and part of the labarum, or Chi-Rho, which looks like a combined P and X, and is an Eastern Orthodox symbol for Christ often used on religious icons. Institutions, individuals, and even churches have used various forms of Xmas, with religious meaning, since the 12th century.

Although the abbreviation is common—and free of secular intentions—in modern casual writing, it has been depreciated by most style guides and is not appropriate for formal writing.

Conclusion: For a quick email or text message, feel free to use Xmas, but for your printed Christmas party invitations, spell out the entire word.
http://www.farrelldoc.com/blog/the-history-of-xmas/

Why do you - instead of exploring and learning something - take the lazy way out and just blame the Jews for something we had nothing to do with???

And *I* think that G-d doesn't like it just as much when people say "His/Her instructions - the Law - is a wonderful thing. But we don't actually have to DO anything ..... especially anything like actually obeying the Law!!" And we should sternly criticize and try to stop the people who do actually live by G-d's Laws! After all, who do they think they are ...... actually doing what G-d told them to do!!!

BTW, a true Christian that doesn't worship Jesus is an oxymornon! Most Catholics IMO, are nominal Christians. I used to be one so I know. But that is not all Catholics.

A true follower of God can be called catholic or a Muslim if you look at the true meanings of those words, but God looks at the heart.
And the heart ..... "the organ of emotion, not reason" - tells you to say nasty things to people who don't believe and worship as you do? And the heart tells you to say false things about those others because you're too lazy to even bother exploring and learning the truth? And the heart tells you to be smugly self-righteous and haughty because you know that your beliefs are the ONLY correct beliefs and anyone who disagrees with you in any way about any thing must be wrong because you can never be wrong?

G-d sees your behavior, not just your intentions. After all, the road to hell is paved with good intentions! And that is a Christian saying, thought to have originated with Saint Bernard of Clairvaux (1091-1153) who wrote, "L'enfer est plein de bonnes volontés et désirs" (hell is full of good wishes and desires.) He wasn't Jewish, BTW, so please don't blame the Jews for this, too!

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #36

Post by Goat »

Burninglight wrote: I used to think David wasn't a prophet until A Muslim showed me acts. I always thought of David as just a beloved king of Israel. But acts shows him to be a prophet. I guess I can accept that. He did predict how he would waste the giant he fought. You don't even believe in God so all you say rings hollow ro me
The book of Acts is not a Jewish book.. .. So, what Muslims say, or what Christians say do not mean anything to how the Jewish people view someone in their own scriptures.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Burninglight
Guru

Post #37

Post by Burninglight »

Suluby wrote:
Burninglight wrote:
Suluby wrote:
Burninglight wrote: Friend, I take it that you are Jewish, but you identify with being an atheist.
You are very confused! First you thought I was a Muslim, now you are sure I'm an atheist. What will you think I am next???

I am Jewish. I have always been Jewish and I always will be Jewish. I believe in G-d, the One, the Ineffable, the Unexplainable, the indivisible One G-d. I do not believe G-d was ever a human being.

Are we clear on that, now?
Your saying Christ doesn't exist is like me saying the holocaust never happened and Hitler never existed.

I have NEVER EVER said that I do not believe that a man named Jesus ever existed. EVER.

You don't closely read what other poster actually say, do you? Or maybe you just don't understand what they say. Whatever. But you really must stop putting words in my mouth!

You need to define antisemitism since you are implyingI am but not overtly, because your explanation of what I do is not antisemitism. You are saying that everyone who doesn't believe in Judaism as God's will for Jews or the world is antisemitic. I am not against any Jews, but I am definitely not for Islam or Judaism.

Yeah, sure. Judaism is a failed religion. Jews are Christ-killers. Jews get rich making money off poor beleaguered Christians.

Those are YOUR words ..... and they are not indicative of respect, regard or love.

FYI, one can be against a religion without being against the person. Do you know the difference? Muslim don't seem to.
I know that. I also know that there is a very fine line between being against a religion and being against a person of that religion. And I noticed when that talk started coming from you ...... it was when you were faced with someone who would not back down. It's very reasonable to think that it is you who cannot separate the person and their religion, because it is you who uses that kind of denigration when others must defend their religions against your onslaughts.

I am not a Muslim. Why do you persist with that????

A true Biblical Christian is someone who is not a nominal Christian; iow, someone who has Christ living inside their heart. One who followers the teachings of Christ that taught us to love our enemies and pray for those that despitefully use you. It is someone who lays down his life for a friend. Someone who helps the needy regardless of race or nationality. Someone who visits the the sick and those in prisons. Who share their food with the hunger cloth the naked. Those who call themselves Christians and beat their fellow man into subjection are not following the will of God. On the last they they might be the ones that say "Lord, Lord didn't we do many great works in your name?" and the Lord will say I never knew you depart from me you workers of iniquity. Finally, A Christians is someone who loves God with all his heart, soul and mind and his neighbor as himself!
That's all well and good. I knew that.

But I so rarely see anyone acting that way ..... online. No compassion, no friendship, no respect, no live and let live. What I do see most often is people like you. When you can't lead us down the cyber-aisle to the altar call screaming "Jeeeesssuuuusss" and diving headfirst into the cyber-baptismal font - it's "Jews are Christ-killers"!

Oh, BTW ..... lots and lots and lots of people are "True Christians" and HUGE numbers of them don't worship Jesus. They are mentschen ..... decent, caring, loving people who care about others and take care of them.

Atheists, Muslims, Jews, Catholics, pagans ..... I know many of them who do all the things you say make one a "True" Christian. Why do you seem to think that only Christians ..... only "True" Christians at that, act that way?

Such decency, such humanity, such humility is not the exclusive possession of only those who meet your standards of being a "True Christian".

I know Jesus wasn't born of December 25th, but what does that have to do with the price of rice in China?
About as much as your snide and very nasty and very untrue statement that Jews hate Christmas but get rich off of Christians.

Nobody is holding a gun to the heads of those people who put more stock in what money can buy for them than the true reason for the season. Especially not the Jews. They do it to themselves. But you need to find someone else to blame ......... and you pick the Jews. In your mind - based on your words - it is the fault of the Jews.
First of all, my apologies on not getting your religion correct. Secondly, it is true that non Christians do kind, loving things for others and they do reap in this life what they sow, but in the life to come, that is not something that can be earned or bought. It is a gift, and to receive it, we must meet God on His terms. Thirdly, I am not putting words in your mouth intentionally, but I wish I could say the same about you.

For instance, I never said Jews hate Christmas, I said they take the Christ out of it, and I wasn't meaning to post that to you. I never said they are looking to make money off of Christians either. IMO, they do not discriminate on who to make money from.
WOW!! @@ You just can't help yourself, can you??? It's like you only open your mouth to change feet!

All Jews are not rich. We are not all robber barons making fortunes on the backs of the oppressed.

I never said there is anything wrong with it either. I just pointed out that they take the name of Christ out of Christmas by saying Xmas. They don't acknowledge the reason for the season. I believe God doesn't like when people ignore His son. That goes for any person not just Jewish people.
Jews haven't taking anything out of Christmas.

If Jesus has been forgotten, he was forgotten by all the Christians who rush to the malls to spend, spend, spend in a frenzy all the money they don't have on stuff they don't need. Jews and all non-Christians have NOTHING to do with that!

You are pissed that some people refer to Christmas as Xmas? Learn something ..... instead of just picking on your favorite whipping boys - the Jews!

"Christmas," 1551, X'temmas, wherein the X is an abbreviation for Christ in Christmas, from first letter of Greek Christos "Christ" (see Christ). The earlier way to abbreviate it was Xp- or Xr-, corresponding to "Chr-," and the form Xres mæsse for "Christmas" appears in the "Anglo-Saxon Chronicle" (c.1100). http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=Xmas

But the history of the word “Xmas� is actually more respectable — and fascinating — than you might suspect.

First of all, the abbreviation predates by centuries its use in gaudy advertisements. It was first used in the mid 1500s.

X is the Greek letter “chi,� the initial letter in the word Χ�ιστός. And here’s the kicker: Χ�ιστός means “Christ.� X has been an acceptable representation of the word “Christ� for hundreds of years. This device is known as a Christogram.

The “mas� in Xmas is the Old English word for “mass.�

http://hotword.dictionary.com/xmas-chri ... q2HkBXU.99

Xmas is a common abbreviation for Christmas. Many people consider the use of Xmas as an attempt to “take Christ out of Christmas.� However, the etymology of Xmas tells a different story.

The mas of Xmas comes from the Old English mass, meaning a celebration of the Eucharist. The X is derived from the Greek letter Chi, the first letter in the Greek word for Christ and part of the labarum, or Chi-Rho, which looks like a combined P and X, and is an Eastern Orthodox symbol for Christ often used on religious icons. Institutions, individuals, and even churches have used various forms of Xmas, with religious meaning, since the 12th century.

Although the abbreviation is common—and free of secular intentions—in modern casual writing, it has been depreciated by most style guides and is not appropriate for formal writing.

Conclusion: For a quick email or text message, feel free to use Xmas, but for your printed Christmas party invitations, spell out the entire word.
http://www.farrelldoc.com/blog/the-history-of-xmas/

Why do you - instead of exploring and learning something - take the lazy way out and just blame the Jews for something we had nothing to do with???

And *I* think that G-d doesn't like it just as much when people say "His/Her instructions - the Law - is a wonderful thing. But we don't actually have to DO anything ..... especially anything like actually obeying the Law!!" And we should sternly criticize and try to stop the people who do actually live by G-d's Laws! After all, who do they think they are ...... actually doing what G-d told them to do!!!

And the heart ..... "the organ of emotion, not reason" - tells you to say nasty things to people who don't believe and worship as you do? And the heart tells you to say false things about those others because you're too lazy to even bother exploring and learning the truth? And the heart tells you to be smugly self-righteous and haughty because you know that your beliefs are the ONLY correct beliefs and anyone who disagrees with you in any way about any thing must be wrong because you can never be wrong?

G-d sees your behavior, not just your intentions. After all, the road to hell is paved with good intentions! And that is a Christian saying, thought to have originated with Saint Bernard of Clairvaux (1091-1153) who wrote, "L'enfer est plein de bonnes volontés et désirs" (hell is full of good wishes and desires.) He wasn't Jewish, BTW, so please don't blame the Jews for this, too!

My brother told me that yesterday about the road to hell is paved with good intentions. It didn't bother me until you said it. :shock: Look, I am going to bow out of this debate with you about Christmas. Personally, I don't even like the date of Christmas. I do not want to argue with you and sorry, if I offended you. I was just calling things the way I see them regarding Christmas, but I could be wrong about the way the Jews see this holiday.

You are very knowledgable, and I am sure you are a very nice person. When I said God looks at the heart and that one can be called catholic or a Muslim and looking at the true meanings of those words, I meant catholic means universal. That means God only has only one church or people that are His in all the world. If someone is truly a Muslim that means "one that submits to God" then of course that person would be part of God's fold.

It doesn't matter what denominational tag someone wears. If they go to hell, it burns off. and in heaven it falls off. Jesus said, "You will all die in your sins if you do not believe I am He" I am sure that those that follow Islam are on the wrong path. Knowing Christ is eternal life. You can judge me all you want, but I must speak what I know to be true or I am not living up to my convictions. Your argument is not with me if you don't like the Scripture I am quoting. Christianity identifies more with Judaism than any other religion. That is why it is called Judo- Christianity.

You are loved
Peace
:)

BTW, I too believe in God, "The One, The Ineffable, the Unexplainable, the Indivisible One God," but I do believe the word of God became a human being. God can do "Unexplainable" things and most certainly did.
Last edited by Burninglight on Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:34 am, edited 4 times in total.

Burninglight
Guru

Post #38

Post by Burninglight »

Goat wrote:
Burninglight wrote: I used to think David wasn't a prophet until A Muslim showed me acts. I always thought of David as just a beloved king of Israel. But acts shows him to be a prophet. I guess I can accept that. He did predict how he would waste the giant he fought. You don't even believe in God so all you say rings hollow ro me
The book of Acts is not a Jewish book.. .. So, what Muslims say, or what Christians say do not mean anything to how the Jewish people view someone in their own scriptures.
I understand. I was just sharing what I had understood about David. I for most of my life thought of him as not a prophet. I also understand that you don't honor the book of Acts, but you don't honor God period so why do you care?

Suluby
Apprentice

Post #39

Post by Suluby »

Burninglight wrote: My brother told me that yesterday about the road to hell is paved with good intentions. It didn't bother me until you said it. :shock: Look, I am going to bow out of this debate with you about Christmas. I don't even like the date of Christiamas personally. I do not want to argue with you and sorry, if I offended you. I was just calling things the way I see them regarding Christmas, but I could be wrong about the way the Jews see this holiday.
You could have asked ..... we'd tell you.

To me? I think it's kind of sad that so many Christians forget all about Jesus and focus on the almighty dollar.

I live in northern NJ ..... and the Christmas shopping season starts before mid-October. So Christmas means that we must avoid 2 major highways ..... and go miles out of our way to get where we need to be - like work. One town, that straddles those 2 highways, has more retail space per square mile than any other place in the world. Around here, Christmas is faced with dread ..... at the thought of the traffic!

And none of that has anything to do with Jesus, IMO.

You are very knowledgable, and I am sure you are a very nice person. When I said God looks at the heart and that one can be called catholic or a Muslim and looking at the true meanings of those words, I meant catholic means universal. That means God only has only one church or people that are His in all the world. If someone is truly a Muslim that means "one that submits to God" then of course that person would be part of God's fold.

It doesn't matter what denominational tag someone wears. If they go to hell, it burns off. and in heaven it falls off. Jesus said, "You will all die in your sins if you do not believe I am He" I am sure that those that follow Islam are on the wrong path. Knowing Christ is eternal life. You can judge me all you want, but I must speak what I know to be true or I am not living up to my convictions. Your argument is not with me if you don't like the Scripture I am quoting. Christianity identifies more with Judaism than any other religion. That is why it is called Judo- Christianity.

You are loved
Peace
It isn't the scripture I don't particularly like .... it's how it is used against me.

I'm sorry you feel you cannot continue.

Go in peace.

Burninglight
Guru

Post #40

Post by Burninglight »

Suluby wrote:
Burninglight wrote: My brother told me that yesterday about the road to hell is paved with good intentions. It didn't bother me until you said it. :shock: Look, I am going to bow out of this debate with you about Christmas. I don't even like the date of Christiamas personally. I do not want to argue with you and sorry, if I offended you. I was just calling things the way I see them regarding Christmas, but I could be wrong about the way the Jews see this holiday.
You could have asked ..... we'd tell you.

To me? I think it's kind of sad that so many Christians forget all about Jesus and focus on the almighty dollar.

I live in northern NJ ..... and the Christmas shopping season starts before mid-October. So Christmas means that we must avoid 2 major highways ..... and go miles out of our way to get where we need to be - like work. One town, that straddles those 2 highways, has more retail space per square mile than any other place in the world. Around here, Christmas is faced with dread ..... at the thought of the traffic!

And none of that has anything to do with Jesus, IMO.

You are loved
Peace
It isn't the scripture I don't particularly like .... it's how it is used against me.

I'm sorry you feel you cannot continue.

Go in peace.

I can continue, but I cannot argue about it with you. I just think there has been a communication break down between us and I don't know how to fix it. I'm agreeing 100% that Christmas is commercialized by Christians as well prephaps even mor than any other religion unfortunately, but I don't want any part of that.