What is god?

Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

laxdaela

What is god?

Post #1

Post by laxdaela »

What is god?

This is a question too broad to be addressed directly. If you're speaking of God as found in the Christian, Muslim or various other monotheistic faiths then you are generally speaking of the singular omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent being responsible for the creation and continued existence of the universe and its inhabitants. For us to understand this question we must seek to understand these concepts and how they relate. The first two are seemingly straightforward and can be defined rather briefly. Omniscience, the knowledge of all things. Omnipotence, the ability to do all things. Omnipresence, however, is often under sold. To be everywhere is not merely one's ability to be at any and all points in the physical universe for our universe consists of not three but four perceivable dimensions. An omnipresent being is everywhere and everywhen. With these three definitions in mind we can only begin to grasp what may be possible. With these separate definitions some would assume that we have answered our original question, however, there is further data to add to the equation. We have our history, our world and ourselves. We cannot define God without men. Color may be known to exist but to a world of blind men would it have meaning much less the beauty inherent in a sunset? For a meaningful definition of God to be built it must convey not merely the sum of the parts but also intent, purpose, motivation. The waitress who served your dinner at your last outing may have been attentive or sloppy, cheerful or melancholy but almost certainly just your waitress. It is likely that this is all you will ever know of her. She could have been a mother working that particular shift to earn extra money for a child she dearly loves or a sadistic woman with no family or loved ones other than herself and, by the way, spat in your coffee or mashed potatoes before leaving the kitchen. Intent, purpose and motivation are as much defining characteristics as ability. How can we know God's motives? We know what goes on here, in our lives and around us. There are many beautiful things in this world. Things that are beautiful to us anyway. A flower is one of nature's wonders... but only to us. A flower is also dinner, a source of nectar or fodder for a nest. There are many horrible things, acts so terrible that they defy comprehension. And yet these are as much a part of creation as those flowers or sunsets. I recently saw a news story retelling the rape and murder of a seven-year-old girl by five of her older sister's friends. Now, there are among us those who say ' God has a plan for everyone.' or 'God works in mysterious ways.' but these are cop-outs. For an honest depiction we must include everything, even acts as sickening as this, because while God's motives may be unfathomable we do know that, since he is omnipotent and omniscient, everything happens as God intended. God knows everything, not just things that are happening now but those that will happen and this was true before he chose to create and being all powerful it is not possible but to create things so that they happen as he intends them to. There can be no benevolent or righteous motive in such an act and the disparity between such villainous acts as this, the wonders of nature and the selflessness shown by many people every day is too great to reconcile. At this point many of you are citing the bible's assertions of man's free will. Can free will have meaning when God knew when he brought about existence and every choice we would make and created the situations in which we would make them? We must each set about to satisfy ourselves of God's intent and motivation based on what we see of the world around us. Since it is true that no two people perceive the world the same way, can it be true that no two people perceive the same God?

heavensgate
Apprentice

Post #21

Post by heavensgate »

Overcomer wrote: jpalmaer wrote:
I would prefer to say that "God is All", which implies that he's both personal and impersonal.
The Law of Non-Contradiction states that something cannot be one thing and its exact opposite at the same time. Therefore, to say that God is both personal and impersonal at the same time is to break the Law of Non-Contradiction. That makes the statement illogical and invalid.

I'd like to know where everyone's various ideas about God come from and what evidence do they have to support their "understanding" of God?
I am thinking it is us who are both personal and impersonal at the same time. I am thinking that God is constant. We view God and measure God by our own standard, as we do the universe. (Who says that 12 inches equal one foot, what does that mean to an eternal being not constrained by space or time).
I am thinking also that there is no contradiction between being Transcendent and Immanent at the same time. That may be contrary to our sensibilities, but it is only us constrained by space and time.
I think if God is Transcendent, then He must necessarily be immanent also. Intricately involved in the whole shebang.
Like a potter, chooses the clay, slaps it in a wheel, whirls it around a bit, then gets His hands dirty. Immanence and transcendence in one hit.
What do you reckon?

mms20102
Scholar

Post #22

Post by mms20102 »

[Replying to post 10 by Goat]

If I asked who is the creator of the iPhone facebook or even your car u will be to answer easily sense u already witnessed the creation process ? no but people already being producing those things now

now if I ask you who created ur body and who gave your birth stages and how is it possible to address those stages in detail almost 1500 years ago u will say I don't know

Same thing how this world was created did we witness its creation
no !
then how we came into existence ?
the big bang
but who created this
I don't know
but its god
how u know that its him
then who else would create it
its natural thing it existed the whole time
but how can two big mass create that mass of beauty and detailed creation
nature did
then should we worship a virus
no
he has power he can make u ill and can make you good
but I can kill him
then we worship sun
why
it gives life and without it we all will die
but its only an asteroid
then what we should be doing
there must be some one who has power then there must be a god who made all this mess
why u can't give life to a young healthy man when he dies suddenly !!
its a reaction and chemical ,,,,,, etc
not its called spirit
there is nothing such as spirit
give life to a man more than his intended life span
or maybe make the sun rise from the west
impossible
then god exist
the holy books have a lot of contradictions
excuse me do u by this question certify the existence of god ?
no
then why u soeak about the holy books
if yes
then let's discuss the problems u have with the holy books

As I can see u had a problem in the past and u didn't find the way in god's words so you developed an idea there is no god
now u ask about the girl god gave his instructions to punish the people who did so
if we are to apply the laws god gave to us those animals won't do what they did
but if we are all atheist no rule will be passed except the law of animals just like the ancient tribes
people are strange they think laws of god is cruel but when they get to have their right by their own hand they become more cruel
I can say for sure this girl would kill the boys if she had the chance with no hesitation
although they didn't kill her
but u didn't read about the judge day from Islamic view point ?
in fact we muslims believe every sin not related human being could be forgiven except disbelieving and sins against human being shall only be forgiven after the later one forgive the sinner
and in judge day every one will take his either punishment or reward

Freethinker43
Student

Post #23

Post by Freethinker43 »

God is One, the uncreated Creator who existed as a Singularity before exploding in all directions in an event also known as the Big Bang. The nature of the Creator is to create. Even when things die, the elements that comprised their bodies are recycled and reused to contribute to further life. Life evolved from bacteria on earth during its Hadean Age http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/history_of_the_earth.

By the way, as humans are humans, their values and beliefs tend to evolve as well. What is seen as genocidal and evil today could have been regarded as God's will millenia ago https://www.jstor.org/stable/2178232?se ... b_contents, http://religionnews.com/2015/01/12/god- ... ide-bible/.

paarsurrey1
Sage

Re: What is god?

Post #24

Post by paarsurrey1 »

[Replying to post 1 by laxdaela]

What is god?

This is a question too broad to be addressed directly. If you're speaking of God as found in the Christian, Muslim or various other monotheistic faiths then you are generally speaking of the singular omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent being responsible for the creation and continued existence of the universe and its inhabitants. For us to understand this question we must seek to understand these concepts and how they relate. The first two are seemingly straightforward and can be defined rather briefly. Omniscience, the knowledge of all things. Omnipotence, the ability to do all things. Omnipresence, however, is often under sold. To be everywhere is not merely one's ability to be at any and all points in the physical universe for our universe consists of not three but four perceivable dimensions. An omnipresent being is everywhere and everywhen.
The question does not pertain to science, science has never taken it, it pertains to Religion, and that makes it out of the domain of science. The source of knowledge in religion is certainty by Word of Revelation. The One-True-God is attributive and He is everywhere by His attributes. Right, please?
Regards

Tcg
Savant

Post #25

Post by Tcg »

paarsurrey1 wrote: The question does not pertain to science, science has never taken it...
The reason for this is quite simple. Science deals with the physical world, you know, that which actually exists. Religion deals with the imaginary, you know, that which doesn't actually exist.

steveb1
Scholar

Post #26

Post by steveb1 »

My own God-definition excludes the conception of God as a creator, an intervener, and judge. Therefore, as to that type of deity, I am an atheist.

Otherwise, however, from the Western/philosophical view, I am a panentheist (not pantheist); from an Eastern/personal faith view, I am a Jodo Shinshu Buddhist.

For me, "God" connotes a very living Presence, manifest in the soul, which spiritually transforms a person "from within". Because God did not create the world, and, as spirit, is not part of the material universe, the subjective, private, personal soul is where God manifests and "does God's work".

Of course, there is no central personal creator God in Buddhism. So my Buddhist view is more accurately called "Panendharmism" than "Panentheism", yet both ideas agree that the Spiritual Ultimate is both "here" (immanent) and "more than here" (transcendent). Amida Buddha and his Dharma permeate the universe - a universe not created by any deity, but nonetheless immersed in the spiritual Absolute.

Buddhism and mysticism East and West agree on certain factors which are universally attributed to "the Godhead", such as its being Unborn, Unconditioned, Uncaused, Uncreated, compassionate, an unimpeded "Light", and infinite wisdom. That, for me, constitutes "God".

DPMartin
Banned
Banned

Post #27

Post by DPMartin »

it seems you should look at what is a god first. in something such as the "Creator and Judge" in Christianity for instance is God to the Christian. but anything idolized and worshiped by man kind could be a god.

2FollowHim

Post #28

Post by 2FollowHim »

In Christian parlance, Creator, all that entails. Jesus is Creator.
A /\, triangle is one triangle, 3 sides. The GODHEAD has...at least 3 known aspects.
A /\ is very stable.

Menotu
Sage

Post #29

Post by Menotu »

What is god?
Whatever someone wants it to be for them. It could be money, power, sex, influence, a gold statue, invisible friend, visible friend....
It doesn't have to be (and isn't) the same for everyone.

emilynghiem
Student

Re:

Post #30

Post by emilynghiem »

heavensgate wrote: Sat May 10, 2014 8:17 am
Overcomer wrote: jpalmaer wrote:
I would prefer to say that "God is All", which implies that he's both personal and impersonal.
The Law of Non-Contradiction states that something cannot be one thing and its exact opposite at the same time. Therefore, to say that God is both personal and impersonal at the same time is to break the Law of Non-Contradiction. That makes the statement illogical and invalid.

I'd like to know where everyone's various ideas about God come from and what evidence do they have to support their "understanding" of God?
I am thinking it is us who are both personal and impersonal at the same time. I am thinking that God is constant. We view God and measure God by our own standard, as we do the universe. (Who says that 12 inches equal one foot, what does that mean to an eternal being not constrained by space or time).
I am thinking also that there is no contradiction between being Transcendent and Immanent at the same time. That may be contrary to our sensibilities, but it is only us constrained by space and time.
I think if God is Transcendent, then He must necessarily be immanent also. Intricately involved in the whole shebang.
Like a potter, chooses the clay, slaps it in a wheel, whirls it around a bit, then gets His hands dirty. Immanence and transcendence in one hit.
What do you reckon?
Dear @heavensgate and @Overcomer
RE: God being both personal and impersonal breaking the Law of Non-Contradiction

I think you are confusing the REPRESENTATION of God (which is relative to each different person or group)
with GOD independent of representation. That is why there are differences, but this doesn't negate God's nature.

People can relate to the SAME GOD as either
impersonal, as Buddhists who see GOD as WISDOM or perhaps the UNIVERSE or LIFE or NATURE,
or personal, as Christians who talk to GOD as the Heavenly Father.

That does not mean GOD cannot manifest in these
two totally different ways!

Another example is JESUS representing JUSTICE.

There are as many people who might PERSONIFY JUSTICE
as "Lady Justice" or FEMALE, while others PERSONIFY JUSTICE
as "Lord Jesus" or MALE Authority of Law.

Does this mean JUSTICE is contradictory?
Just because SOME people represent Justice as MALE
and others FEMALE?

Equal Justice Under Law is ultimately one and the same.
Either Justice is truly UNIVERSAL FOR ALL PEOPLE
or it is "manmade" local justice only serving SOME but not Others.

As long as we agree to the same higher justice that serves
and protects ALL PEOPLE EQUALLY, then it doesn't matter
how we represent Justice. However, if we impose a "manmade"
bias on Justice, THAT becomes "contradictory" -- if one person's
interpretation of what is justice becomes SELF SERVING and
poses a "conflict of interest" with another person's justice.
That type of contradiction is MANMADE imposition.

Thus, it isn't UNIVERSAL JUSTICE that is independent of man's biases.