Christianity in Jewish clothing

Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

flitzerbiest
Sage

Christianity in Jewish clothing

Post #1

Post by flitzerbiest »

Many of you have heard of Jews for Jesus, but probably fewer of you realize that its constituency is loaded with fundamentalist Christians who "discover" a remote family connection to Judaism as they engage in a campaign to aggressively target Jews for proselytization. IOW, "Christians claiming to be Jewish to Convert Jews" might be a more honest title.

Against that backdrop, my brother in law is bringing his family to our home for Thanksgiving weekend. He is a fundamentalist involved in a church that increasingly is practicing Jewish ritual. I do not think that he is a member of J4J, but his family now keeps shabbat, celebrates Bar/Bat Mitzvahs. Last summer, he had my family over to his home (I was not along on the trip) for a shabbat dinner. At any rate, he has now announced (through my wife) that he intends to hold another shabbat dinner this weekend--in MY home. My wife (who is a more open minded and doubting Christian than when we met/married, but still a Christian) is supportive. She also has said that I need not participate, but questions why I wouldn't want to--those of you who are married recognize the trap.

Questions for debate:

1. Are Christians who adopt Jewish ritual without embracing Judaism or while actively attempting to win converts from it desecrating those rituals?

2. Any reason why I shouldn't run like hell Friday at sundown?

Burninglight
Guru

Post #21

Post by Burninglight »

bluethread wrote:It appears to me that what is being refered to on this thread is the evangelical or pentecostal forms of messianics. I must admit that these are the most common and many hold to replacement theology, ie "the church" has replaced Israel. I and those I meet with recognize that it is a sin to call oneself a jew if one can not verify that one is a hereditary jew. In fact, we generally do not refer to ourselves a smessianic because of these misunderstandings. Regarding how we treat jews who do not recognize Yeshua as HaMeshiach, we merely discuss the Scriptures with them, respecting their viewpoint, and encourage them to be as biblically orthodox as possible. We are much more concerned about countering the rise of reform and now reconstructionist judaism than "converting" anybody.
Yeshua HaMeshiach, I like that! Do you love Yeshua?