Critical examination of haak123's 'beautiful essay'

Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

RDCH
Student

Critical examination of haak123's 'beautiful essay'

Post #1

Post by RDCH »

After I read an essay in the topic: “ a beautiful essay about ultimate happiness� , I boiled inside and felt compelled to answer this revolting claim (= the essay being beautiful).
I have divided my critiques in 4 main sections and a conclusion.
This is the link to the webpage with essay: http://saaid.net/Anshatah/dawah/62.htm (I vividly encourage to read it!)
This is the link to the thread on the forum: http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... hp?t=15625

1. Revolting unsubstantiated claims
“An undeniable reality is that permanent happiness cannot be achieved except by believing in God - The Creator - and following His guidance.�
There is no evidence for this claim, not one link or source is mentioned. This may well be true, but is not substantiated. Different experiments have been carried out, with different results, often contradicting each other so that one may conclude religion doesn’t play a capital role in the happiness of a human being.

“you will only arrive at one reality: that the true and correct religion is Islam and that true happiness and content lies within it.�
There is no evidence whatsoever for this revolting claim. It only reveals the pretentious mind of the author and his attitude towards other’s religions: intolerant.

“Islam is a religion of love, unity and mercy. “
A huge claim again. It is very well possible that it is true, but after reading this essay and watching news, I am convinced that it is not so. Prove me wrong.

“Since then till this day, no contradictions or mistakes have been found in the Quran, not even in a single word that he is a great personality who has been bestowed with the best of manners and most noble etiquettes. He had characteristics which were not present in anyone before him and will not be present in anyone after him. Anything that you read about him, no matter how small it is, confirms what I am saying. “
No idea whether this is true, but again it seems an enormously unlikely claim.

“Know that the Quran is from the greatest evidences that this religion is the truth revealed by Allah (God) the Most High.�
No evidence is presented at all; the book itself is dogmatically believed to contain all truth. As someone said in a previous thread somewhere, circular logic only convinces believers.

“During times when a lot of societies complain about cold heartedness, materialism, selfishness and so on, we find that Islam has proven remedies for all of these problems.�
Except, none of these remedies is mentioned in the text, once again, a claim with low credibility.

“Fasting has many health, personal, and social benefits.�
“Hajj contains many magnificent benefits�

Again, very well possible, but where does he get his information from? Sources or links not mentioned.

2. The restrictions of Islam
“[…]how a person eats, sleeps and dresses.�
“[…]how to wear and remove footwear�
“[…]Instructions regarding going to sleep and waking up�
“[…]how they should greet each other�
“Islam prohibits women from displaying themselves publicly.�
“In summary, Islam has not eliminated freedoms and desires. Rather, it regulates them for the benefit of mankind and the society at large.�

Or in other words: Islam is an all-inclusive manual for life, for people who are not able to manage themselves, from which no one may differ, with for some cases, -if not respecting the rules-, death by stoning as a consequence, or other terrible punishments. (spoiler alert; this might be a prejudice of mine)
Freedom? Freedom to choose Islam and have no freedom?

“prohibiting mankind from oppression, transgression and bad character[…]�
“Islam embeds the best of manners […] “
“Islam even prohibits two people[…]�
“Islam goes even further than that, obligating[…]�
“More specifically, Islam prohibits[…]�
“Islam strictly prohibits oppression[…]�
“It is impermissible in Islam[…]�
“It is essential to […]�

Even though what is prohibited might be bad, and so it is good to prohibit it, look at what an impression the text makes on the reader: read for yourself how many times a word like “forbidden, prohibited, obligated or restricted� figures in the essay. Even when preaching a religion of freedom, the word choice of the essay paradoxically contradicts the content. Worse, these duties and obligations are depicted as good, and so negative arguments turned into positive ones.

“It is a contract between a servant and his Lord�
In this fatalistic phrase, the author admits all our fears. You are no more than a servant.

3. Islam is a logical religion???
A. “This summarized introduction should make it clear that Islam is a logical religion that can be easily understood by all people.�
So after having read the description of restrictions of a religion, one is expected to think of it as a logical religion? Take this example: “My religion tells me I have to give and receive presents with the right hand. Therefore it is logical.�???

B. “In order to save you the time and effort, I say with full conviction and confidence that no matter how much you investigate this issue,[…], you will only arrive at one reality: that the true and correct religion is Islam and that true happiness and content lie in it.�
Wait, so the reason you should embrace Islam is because it contains happiness? Not because you really believe in it? Very seductive indeed.
Moreover, isn’t he a kind man? He saves you time and effort, thus inviting you not to doubt his personal convictions and blindly following them, as he (in the 2nd merit of Islam) condemns so strongly.

C. “Intellect, the distinguishing factor between mankind and animals, must be applied when studying the issue of religion, which is undeniably the most important and gravest of all matters.�

“[…]granted him proofs and evidences that establish the authenticity of his prophethood, thus having doubt in this fact is intellectually impossible.�
Two contradictory statements. If Islam condemns blind following, and intellect must be used to study religion, how can we possibly do that, if he denies that doubt is possible on this matter?

D. “you can embrace Islam and then gradually try to reduce such pleasures�
By which he means small pleasures of life. Now compare to the subject of the essay at the start:
“Happiness is a common goal that everyone strives to attain.�How can you possible strive to happiness if you reduce and eliminate the pleasur
es in life?

4. The Dramatical change of tone at the end of the essay
“from one who only wants good for you: save yourself before death takes you by surprise�
“One who wishes only the best for you,�
Our dear author insists on how much he only wants good for you. But beware! His best wishes are not unconditional. While through the body of the essay the tone is inviting, the conclusion forces you to take up Islam. Because if you do not turn to Islam “you would enter the Hellfire, abiding therein for eternity.�
Yes, dear readers, you read well. It is a threat, enforced by this rhetoric question of zero-subtlety: “What would you lose if you embraced Islam?�

NOTE:
These are personal information about the writer of the article, apparently a respected University doctor…
Is this how they teach writing essays in the Middle-East?
“Dr. Saleh Abdul Azeez As Sindee, Islamic University of Madeenah, Saudi Arabia Source: islaam.ca Published: Nov. 2006� http://www.islaam.ca/index.php?option=c ... Itemid=192

5. Conclusion
Assuming that this essay has a persuasive nature addressed to a non –Muslim, it completely fails to persuade one to join Islam. The author makes unrelated links and claims through the text (e.g. “Islam is a comprehensive religion => because it manages all aspects of life� …). No sources or links are posted, so it is easy to think none were used (it wouldn’t surprise me). I am now disgusted of Islam, and think this is not due the religion itself, but due to the incapability of the author to correctly propagate his religion.
Therefore, this essay is in my opinion in no way to be called “beautiful�.
Dr. Saleh Abdul Azeez As Sindee.

haak123
Student

Re: Critical examination of haak123's 'beautiful essay'

Post #2

Post by haak123 »

RDCH wrote: 1. Revolting unsubstantiated claims
You maybe true that the writer don't support some of his points with evidence, but I think that he is writing an article that should be consice and apparent, and the reader's job is to dip in the details and look for more evidences. If the writer enumerated every thing, he might write a whole book.

2. The restrictions of Islam
“[…]how a person eats, sleeps and dresses.�
“[…]how to wear and remove footwear�
“[…]Instructions regarding going to sleep and waking up�
“[…]how they should greet each other�
“Islam prohibits women from displaying themselves publicly.�
“In summary, Islam has not eliminated freedoms and desires. Rather, it regulates them for the benefit of mankind and the society at large.�
Or in other words: Islam is an all-inclusive manual for life, for people who are not able to manage themselves, from which no one may differ, with for some cases, -if not respecting the rules-, death by stoning as a consequence, or other terrible punishments. (spoiler alert; this might be a prejudice of mine)
Freedom? Freedom to choose Islam and have no freedom?
You are taking it from this side, but if you think about it deeply you will find that Islam organizes every thing for people. As what you see in these days, the revolt of human development, planning the life, and self and time management, all of these things are existing in Islam from its appearance.

Even though what is prohibited might be bad, and so it is good to prohibit it, look at what an impression the text makes on the reader: read for yourself how many times a word like “forbidden, prohibited, obligated or restricted� figures in the essay. Even when preaching a religion of freedom, the word choice of the essay paradoxically contradicts the content. Worse, these duties and obligations are depicted as good, and so negative arguments turned into positive ones.
Maybe the writer uses many words of prohibition, but look at what is beyond these forbiddings of welfare, interest and freedom for the person himself or those who are dealing with him/her
It is a contract between a servant and his Lord�
In this fatalistic phrase, the author admits all our fears. You are no more than a servant.
to be a servant of a one God (Allah) who knows all what we do, has the power over all things, is cannot be compared with being a servent for many gods, things or animals like what some religions do !!!
3. Islam is a logical religion???
A. “This summarized introduction should make it clear that Islam is a logical religion that can be easily understood by all people.�
So after having read the description of restrictions of a religion, one is expected to think of it as a logical religion? Take this example: “My religion tells me I have to give and receive presents with the right hand. Therefore it is logical.�???
look at Islam from a wide perspective not from one point. Islam urges on logic in many verses in the Holy Quran. I will give a few verse as an example of that, our God( Allah )- subhanahu wa ta'ala- says: " Behold! In the creation of the heavens and the earth; in the alternation of the Night and the Day; in the sailing of the ships through the Ocean for the profit of mankind; in the rain which Allah sends down from the skies, and the life which He gives therewith to an earth that is dead; in the beasts of all kinds that He scatters through the earth; in the change of the winds and the clouds which they trail like their slaves between the sky and the earth, (here) indeed are Signs for a people that are wise.". Also, our God (Allah) says: "Do they not travel through the land, so that their hearts (and minds) may thus learn wisdom and their ears may thus learn to hear? Truly it is not their eyes that are blind, but their hearts which are in their breasts."

and another many verses that enourage logic.
Wait, so the reason you should embrace Islam is because it contains happiness? Not because you really believe in it? Very seductive indeed.
Moreover, isn’t he a kind man? He saves you time and effort, thus inviting you not to doubt his personal convictions and blindly following them, as he (in the 2nd merit of Islam) condemns so strongly.
I think that the writer tries to attract those who are not muslims and do not believe in Islam thats why he talks about happiness bacause happiness is a damand for every person, so he tries to charm them by the thing that they desire.

C. “Intellect, the distinguishing factor between mankind and animals, must be applied when studying the issue of religion, which is undeniably the most important and gravest of all matters.�

“[…]granted him proofs and evidences that establish the authenticity of his prophethood, thus having doubt in this fact is intellectually impossible.�
Two contradictory statements. If Islam condemns blind following, and intellect must be used to study religion, how can we possibly do that, if he denies that doubt is possible on this matter?
The writer said " thus having doubt in this fact is intellectually impossible."
as what you read, he said "intellectually impossible" he didn't say " compulsively impossible" which means that one will be contented by these evidences by logic.
D. “you can embrace Islam and then gradually try to reduce such pleasures�
By which he means small pleasures of life. Now compare to the subject of the essay at the start:
“Happiness is a common goal that everyone strives to attain.�How can you possible strive to happiness if you reduce and eliminate the pleasur
es in life?
I think that "Small pleasures of life" are these practices and performances that not allowed in Islam, which one might think that they bring him happiness but in fact they are not. Further, the happiness he meant is the permanent happiness espacially the spiritually one.
4. The Dramatical change of tone at the end of the essay
the change of tone is for variety. Not all the tone should be appealing, it has to varies between appealing, convince, intensity and many kinds of tones.
These are personal information about the writer of the article, apparently a respected University doctor…
Is this how they teach writing essays in the Middle-East?
the one cann't judge on something without having a background about it. First, the writer is not writing a formal article that should be given to a critic to correct his style, but he just writes an article for general readers of non-muslim catgory to give them some aspects of Islam. Second, writing essays in Arabic is somewhat different from English, and maybe he writes according to the arabic rules. But generally, no one can be freed from mistakes whether they are many or few. And I think that you are mostly a good analyzer in essays in general in which you are dividing your points, starting with introdiction, concloding, regardless of being contenting with your conent or not ..

RDCH
Student

Post #3

Post by RDCH »

First of all, I thank you kindly for having read my whole post! (and for the compliments) :)

I have only a couple more things to say:
You maybe true that the writer don't support some of his points with evidence, but I think that he is writing an article that should be consice and apparent, and the reader's job is to dip in the details and look for more evidences. If the writer enumerated every thing, he might write a whole book.

I agree.
You are taking it from this side, but if you think about it deeply you will find that Islam organizes every thing for people. As what you see in these days, the revolt of human development, planning the life, and self and time management, all of these things are existing in Islam from its appearance.
Hmm yes exactly. I am unable to imagine myself "at the other side".
I would never want a religion to dictate me every rule of life I should follow. I prefer to be free. As for time management, I prefer to set up a tabel myself, so that I can choose myself. But that again, is a matter of personal taste.
to be a servant of a one God (Allah) who knows all what we do, has the power over all things, is cannot be compared with being a servent for many gods, things or animals like what some religions do !!!
Agreed, but that is not the question. I don't like to be a servant of anyone. Not one God, not many gods. But I guess, then all muslims are servants to Allah for their entire life. Wouldn't you once just want to decide yourself instead of lettin Him control you?
look at Islam from a wide perspective not from one point. Islam urges on logic in many verses in the Holy Quran
Attention for what I'm saying here, I am not saying that Islam is illogical (although I think it is, as any other religion), but I'm saying that the author draws an illogical conclusion. It is not by sayin: this and this and this is restricted; that you prove a religion to be logical. This circular reasoning only works for (in this case muslim) believers.I think any rational human being would agree with me here.
I think that "Small pleasures of life" are these practices and performances that not allowed in Islam, which one might think that they bring him happiness but in fact they are not. Further, the happiness he meant is the permanent happiness espacially the spiritually one.
Makes perfect sense. Could you just name 1, that is not allowed in Islam, but is allowed in christianity for example? (this is purely out of curiosity)
the change of tone is for variety. Not all the tone should be appealing, it has to varies between appealing, convince, intensity and many kinds of tones.
True, only this one is really exaggerated.
but he just writes an article for general readers of non-muslim catgory to give them some aspects of Islam.
I still think it would not persuade anyone I know. The essay is soooo ideal, that it seems too good to be true. It is good to focus on the good aspects, but it is bad to leave out the bad ones totally.
But generally, no one can be freed from mistakes whether they are many or few.
True.

Darias
Guru

Post #4

Post by Darias »

As an Agnostic Theist and a Christian, I would like to comment on the essay as well, if I may.

[font=Impact]1[/font]
Dr. Saleh Abdul Azeez As Sindee wrote:Happiness is a common goal that everyone strives to attain. Philosophers, intellectuals, doctors and artists alike have all strived [sic.] in search of the causes of happiness and ways to escape anxiety.
_____

SOURCE
Yes, I agree with this. The "pursuit of happiness," one of the human rights mentioned in the U.S. Declaration of Independence, seems to reflect the natural tendency of homosapiens.

This escape from anxiety is also seen in many religious traditions, which encourage us to pray, meditate, trust in God, etc. -- rather than worry. For example, the words attributed to Jesus:
Matthew 6:34, [b](ESV)[/b] wrote:Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.
_____

SOURCE

[font=Impact]2[/font]
Dr. Saleh Abdul Azeez As Sindee wrote:The reality is, however, that the proposed solutions achieve only partial or superficial happiness. They are more or less like drugs which only provide temporary relief; when their effect wares off, anxieties return two fold.
_____

SOURCE
Unfortunately, every human endeavor under the sun can lead to this, including the adherence of and belief in religion -- Islam and Christianity included.

[font=Impact]3[/font]
Dr. Saleh Abdul Azeez As Sindee wrote:The following words invite you to ultimate happiness and will lead you to true success.
_____

SOURCE
Despite whatever follows after this statement, the wording used here is at best naively idealistic, and at worst deceptive. My criticism here has nothing to do with Islam, or even Dr. Sindee's beliefs at this point -- but is simply based upon two things:

1.) What is ultimate happiness? I contend that such a thing does not exist. Happiness is caused by dopamine in our brains. A sustained high level of dopamine would be hazardous to one's health.

If this is referring to contentment; well, this is very different. To be satisfied with a situation is not exactly the same thing as being overwhelmed with joy, being happy, etc.

The New Testament also speaks of an inexpressible joy:
1 Peter 1:8 wrote:Though you have not seen him, you love him. Though you do not now see him, you believe in him and rejoice with joy that is inexpressible and filled with glory. . .
_____
SOURCE

And while I personally at times have experienced similar joy from my own beliefs, I do not believe that I have experienced anything close to "ultimate joy."

This is because ultimate joy is not the object of the Christian faith -- or my own life for that matter.

2.) As for "true success," I strongly disagree with this. So far, "true success," and "ultimate happiness" sound eerily familiar to me.

In Christianity, there is something called a "Health, Wealth, and Prosperity" doctrine which is very popular. Some Christians go around witnessing to other people, promising that their lives will be wonderful and that they will be happy and blessed if they just believe.

And as far as I am concerned, such man-made doctrines are very deceptive. They promise personal joy and wealth to try to get people to believe.

The unfortunate aspect of this doctrine, as my Baptist pastor has noted many times, is that it creates a sense of false superiority and religious "holiness." For example, "God must love you more than me because look at all the stuff you have -- your life seems to be going your way and you have everything under control; but my life is falling apart and I'm depressed. God must not really love me. Maybe I'm not a true believer after all :( "

Real life shows us that sincere believers and non-believers alike have suffered extreme poverty and personal tragedy alike. The rich are not favored by God. If you read the Bible, Old or New Testament, it says bad things happen to the just or unjust, and that the poor give more than the rich because they give everything they have. In fact Jesus said that it's harder for the rich man to enter heaven because he cares so much about his wealth instead of God and his fellow man.

In any case, I take pause at such wild promises. True faith shouldn't be about personal pleasure -- it should be about loving others and loving God via doing good things for people, etc.

[font=Impact]4[/font]
Dr. Saleh Abdul Azeez As Sindee wrote: . . . But before you begin reading, I hope that you to take a moment to try to open your heart and mind - as the intelligent one is he who searches for the truth no matter where it lies.
_____

SOURCE
An open heart and mind, combined with a curiosity for knowledge and understanding are good; I agree. But these things are distinct from gullibility, which should be avoided in any case.

[font=Impact]5[/font]
Dr. Saleh Abdul Azeez As Sindee wrote:
An undeniable reality is that permanent happiness cannot be achieved except by believing in God - The Creator - and following His guidance. Since it is He who created mankind, He is the one who knows what pleases and benefits them, just as he knows what saddens and harms them. A number of psychologists have affirmed that only a religious person lives with true content and serenity. So if believing in God leads to ultimate happiness, then how can this be achieved?
_____

SOURCE
1.) There are many non-theists in the world who are happy and have good lives and are perfectly content without the need to believe in God. The first claim here is subjective at best, and deceptive at worst.

2.) Assuming God is omniscient (all-knowing) which seems to be a belief of all Abrahamic faiths, it is a logical next step to believe that God would know what makes each and every one of us happy. And assuming omniscience, God would also know what hurts us and makes us sad. Ironically, sometimes these can be the same things, including: a loved-one, a drug addition, or a belief in God.

3.) Science has not confirmed that only the religious can be happy. This is at best a biased illusion, and at worst an outright lie. He cites no sources to confirm this false assumption because there are none that can support such erroneous statements.

4.) Belief in God can lead to 'happiness, contentment, and serenity' but it is not a guarantee that the believer will experience these things on a regular basis, if at all -- or even more or less than a non-believer.

Such belief in God or gods or any religion can be achieved multiple ways, including: being born into a faith, converting to a faith out of religious conviction, or studying and exploring various faiths until one decides to convert to a faith of their own preference.

[font=Impact]6[/font]
Dr. Saleh Abdul Azeez As Sindee wrote:There are numerous religions and a variety of creeds. However, their critical differences in core issues make it impossible for all of them to be correct. So which is the correct religion? What is the correct creed that God requires us to believe in and in the end pleases Him? And which one of these creeds guarantees us happiness in this life and in the hereafter?
_____

SOURCE
The simple answer is that there is no religion or belief that is objectively true or factual. None can be evidenced as "The Correct Path." Apart from holy books and religious commentary, logic, or conjecture, we have no idea what God wants -- nor can we prove or know with 100% certainty that God even exists.

All religions have discrepancies that cannot be reconciled, but many have things in common. For instance, the law of altruism -- empathy, love and caring -- doing good. These things seem to be not just moral or religious constructs, but biological tendencies of human beings themselves. If there is a God (and I believe that there is), and if we are beings that reflect his nature/likeness/image (and I believe that we are) than it is clear that God wants us to do good. At least, this is how such things are determined from a natural point-of-view. But I cannot know any of this for certain, nor am I claiming such to be true -- only that this is what I believe personally.

[font=Impact]7[/font]
Dr. Saleh Abdul Azeez As Sindee wrote:Before answering these questions, a criterion must first be established to be used as a basis for correctly determining the true religion. I firmly believe that all sensible people will agree that a religion is not deemed correct simply due to the fact that one was raised in that religion, had parents that adhered to it, or lived in a society that practiced it. Rather a religion's accuracy and authenticity are based upon substantial evidence and firm intellectual proofs. Intellect, the distinguishing factor between mankind and animals, must be applied when studying the issue of religion, which is undeniably the most important and gravest of all matters.
_____

SOURCE
A true religion cannot be determined factually. But a sincere faith, no matter what it is, is one which the believer does good. I like the way that the New Testament puts it; here is a quote attributed to James.
James 1:27 wrote:Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world.
_____
SOURCE
Here is an even better definition, to which I base my own faith:
Luke 10:27 wrote:"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself."
_____
SOURCE

[font=Impact]8[/font]
Dr. Saleh Abdul Azeez As Sindee wrote:A short journey into the world of religions and sifting through various creeds could prove to be a good method in arriving at the desired conclusion. In order to save you the time and effort, I say with full conviction and confidence that no matter how much you investigate this issue, you will only arrive at one reality: that the true and correct religion is Islam and that true happiness and content lies within it.
_____

SOURCE
In all respect to Dr. Sindee, while I believe his conviction and belief has led him to conclude that "Islam is the best," the statement above comes across as:

"Islam is the only path -- [font=Georgia]trust me[/font]."

And if I may, I must conclude that his investigation of other faiths, no matter how brief it may have been, was probably not going to be very influential anyways - since the Dr. was most likely born into the religion himself -- an upbringing not easily shaken (regardless of which religion it may be).

I would suggest that if you are interested in religion and are seeking a faith that you can know in your heart is true, search for yourself; never take someone's word for it.

In fact, using Dr. Sindee's own advise, read [font=Impact]point 4[/font] again.

[font=Impact]9[/font]
Dr. Saleh Abdul Azeez As Sindee wrote:Before you hastily rebut this statement and stop reading, please realize that completing the rest would not harm you at all, and it may in fact benefit you. Also, remember that you have an intellect by which you can distinguish things and determine truth from falsehood.
_____

SOURCE
Don't worry Dr. Sindee, I will keep reading, but also commenting on and critically thinking about everything you say.

And yes, I'd like to think that I have discernment in detecting what's factual and what is not. So far, much of what you have said is not.

[font=Impact]10[/font]
Dr. Saleh Abdul Azeez As Sindee wrote: Why Islam?

This is an important question, indicating that the questioner is mature and enlightened. In response I say:

Islam is a religion that includes a number of merits and characteristics that are absent from other religions. These characteristics, alone, serve as convincing evidence that Islam is the true religion of God. You can determine the authenticity of this statement by contemplating them.

Islam's many merits and characteristics make it impossible to elaborate on all of them. However, some of the most important can be summarized as follows:
_____

SOURCE
I already disagree that Islam presents anything superior or radically different from other religions which would even remotely objectively prove that it is the only true religion. I predict that the following will include similarities with other faiths.

I would just like to comment on the first point he raises before I resume with a follow-up post at a later time. (it's 4 AM and I'm sleepy)

[font=Impact]11[/font]
Dr. Saleh Abdul Azeez As Sindee wrote:1. Amongst the greatest merits of Islam is that it fulfills the spiritual aspects of the human being and enables those who embrace it to have an ongoing connection with God. This makes it possible for them to be at ease spiritually. It shields them from chaos, being lost or feeling (spiritually) empty, and protects from mental instability.
_____

SOURCE
1.) While I make no claim to say that Islam cannot satisfy a persons spiritual/emotional needs, I do argue that Islam is not the only belief system that can allow for such experiences. Personally, I, as a Christian, have experienced many times when I felt at peace with God - times when I sensed Him and felt nothing but Love for him. While it is hard to differentiate what is spiritual from what is emotional (I contend that they are connected, if not one and the same -- perceptions of a chemically active mind) I do know that my experiences are real and genuine and as far as my brain is concerned, physically natural. I believe that similar human experiences attributed to spirituality are very much real all over the world, regardless of faith. I further argue that similar experiences can be felt by non-theists, only via different means. For instance, instead of experiencing love and peace with God, they may experience it with their spouse - or music, or something else. These experiences in any case are no less real or genuine than others.

2.) While religion, including Islam, may help one's emotional state -- keeping them occupied as to avoid depression, helping them to experience joy and peace etc. -- there is no proof to show that Islam prevents or cures mental disorders. The same is true for all religions.

Mental disorders are diseases of the mind which can only be cured or helped primarily with medication, secondly with counseling, thirdly with loving and supportive family and friends, and lastly - a belief may (and I stress may; this is no claim whatsoever) also provide a sense of comfort and thus help ease the severe effects of debilitating, reoccurring chemical imbalances in the brain. But there is no guarantee any of these things can effectively cure all mental disorders in all cases. Some, unfortunately, suffer on a daily basis.

[center]=====

To Be Continued . . .

=====
[/center]

haak123
Student

Post #5

Post by haak123 »

Hmm yes exactly. I am unable to imagine myself "at the other side".
I would never want a religion to dictate me every rule of life I should follow. I prefer to be free. As for time management, I prefer to set up a tabel myself, so that I can choose myself. But that again, is a matter of personal taste.
May I ask you something ??
do you read any book about managing life ? don't you want any helper for that ?
If you don't want, I will be surprised because anyone's life will not be organized without planning and managing it, and then he/she will not be able to achieve or succeed in anything. Islam give the freedom fro people to manage and organize their life, but with a kind of supporting.
Wouldn't you once just want to decide yourself instead of lettin Him control you?
For me, I like to be under the control of my God (Allah) because he is the only one who knows everything about me and about everything. Nevertheless, I can decide many things for me such as tabulating my daily schedual for everything I want, eating whatever I want, wearing, sleeping, working .... everything under the borders of Islam.

Makes perfect sense. Could you just name 1, that is not allowed in Islam, but is allowed in christianity for example? (this is purely out of curiosity)
I don't have knowledge of the prohibitions in Cristianity. but I can give you examples from my religion only. For instance, addicting drugs, eating pork meat, stealing, adultery.
I still think it would not persuade anyone I know. The essay is soooo ideal, that it seems too good to be true. It is good to focus on the good aspects, but it is bad to leave out the bad ones totally.
from your perspective, I know that you might think that it is " soooo ideal " beacuse you don't have much knowledge about Islam and you don't see it from inside, I advise you to read the biography of Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) and his companions. For me, I don't see the overstated idealism that you see , because I know that what he (the writer) said about Islam is true.

thanks, and sorry for prolongation. : )