witchcraft

Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

Telora
Apprentice

witchcraft

Post #1

Post by Telora »

Is there any middle ground between the actions that can be considered supernatural witchcraft and the faiths that directly forbid it, what exactly is forbidden and why?

Laško
Student

Re: witchcraft

Post #2

Post by LaÅ¡ko »

Telora wrote:Is there any middle ground between the actions that can be considered supernatural witchcraft and the faiths that directly forbid it, what exactly is forbidden and why?
Witchcraft is the art of magic where matter and energy are manipulated.

When Moses turned the staff into a serpent, isn't that magic?

When Jesus turned the water into wine, isn't that magic?

When Christians pray to God for protection, isn't that requesting for the manipulation of matter and energy.

Witchcraft, magic, prayer and miracles sound like the same things to me.

Laško

Kuan
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Kuan »

Laško wrote:
Telora wrote:Is there any middle ground between the actions that can be considered supernatural witchcraft and the faiths that directly forbid it, what exactly is forbidden and why?

When Christians pray to God for protection, isn't that requesting for the manipulation of matter and energy.

Agreed
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
- Voltaire

Kung may ayaw, may dahilan. Kung may gusto, may paraan.

4thinking
Student

Post #4

Post by 4thinking »

Laško wrote:

Could the thought of manipulation be debated. If we believe that God made the Earth from nothing, what was he manipulating. I would have to say the difference is similar to that of getting to a destination by different roads. God intervening in the form of a miracle may choose to "manipulate" matter but I don't think he is confined to just that method, after all if we believe Moses doing what he did, then we must, to some degree, believe that God was involved, due to the source of the account in writing. Please consider that maybe Satan, as God's enemy, tries to mimic with manipulation, that which God does with pure control over anything. In this same account of Moses and the rods, the water turning to blood, etc, the powers of the magicians were limited, compared to Mose's source of power.

Food for thought....

Adstar
Under Probation

Post #5

Post by Adstar »

Witchcraft and all forms of the occult are under the control of demons. Anyone who seeks to use them opens themselves up to being used in the most evil ways.

So followers of God are warned not to take part in any occult or witchcraft. For our one Good. We give warning to others who may think that these entities have their good at heart or even more deluded ones who think they can have power and control over these entities. Of course taking part in the occult or witchcraft my obtain for a person some advantages in this life, because this world is ruled by satan and his followers. But Christians know this life and lucifers future is limited. What ever advantage they receive will only be for a portion of their physical lives. For followers of God we shall have the ultimate advantage in eternity, far superior to the scraps that are on offer to the servants of satan in this world.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Adstar
Under Probation

Post #6

Post by Adstar »

Laško wrote:

Well the power came from God. Moses had no power.

Well the protection we ask for my have nothing to do with physical protection. Protection from deception is an example.

Prayer is not part of that list. It is simply someone making a request. Praying forces nothing to happen. Of course the others may look similar but they have different sources and that’s what is crucial.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Slopeshoulder
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by Slopeshoulder »

Demons don't exist.

And witchraft is obviously a crock.

But speaking metaphorically, we can see the proscription against witchcraft as an extension of the fobidden fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. It says that creation is God's and we are not step in and try to take god's work from him to our own needs.

On the other hand, in more pantheistic or pagan traditions, we do participate in that creation and are part of it, so our agency (good withcraft) is considered a good thing.

Christian notions of co-creation are the middle ground, but they rarely involve magic, usually just discernment and work.

It's all interesting ain't it?

Woland
Sage

Post #8

Post by Woland »

Slopeshoulder wrote: And witchraft is obviously a crock.
Just out of curiosity... is there anyone here who seriously doubts the statement above?

Adstar, do you believe that some people on Earth right now are witches?
Does anyone else believe this?

-Woland

Adstar
Under Probation

Post #9

Post by Adstar »

Woland wrote:
Just out of curiosity... is there anyone here who seriously doubts the statement above?

-Woland
Yes i believe there are witches. Have talked to a few during my time. There are a variety of different beliefs you might even say witchcraft denominations. But yes witches do exists.

All Praise The Ancient of Days

lastcallhall
Sage

Post #10

Post by lastcallhall »

-Woland
I believe it as well. Our church pastor has been involved in the deliverance ministry as well as a few other pastors I know. He wants me to get involved because of the huge need that people for that. Demonic possession is a real thing and if you have ever seen a deliverance service it is spine chilling.
All the powers of darkness can't drown out a single word