em200727
Student

Jehovah's Witnesses

Post #1

Post by em200727 »

looking for a good hearty debate in Christianity v. Jehovah's Witnesses

Ill start off with some things that they ask Christians

on the deity of Jesus
1.Why did Jesus pray to the Father? (John 17)
2.Why did He say the Father was greater than He (John 14:28)?
3.Why did He say, "Why call me good, only God is good?" (Luke 18:19)?

there is only a few, ive got tons more

i would appreciate for someone to debate with me :D

foshizzle
Apprentice

Post #2

Post by foshizzle »

1.Why did Jesus pray to the Father? (John 17)
This really is a difficult question to answer without writing a book, but i'll write the basics. The concept of a Trinity is: Jesus, God and the Holy Spirit are one, but three seperate entities. Think of it as time. There's a past, present and future. While all three are different, they share the same features.

As God -
He is worshiped (Matt. 2:2,11; 14:33; 28:9)
He is prayed to (Acts 7:59; 1 Cor. 1:2)
He was called God (John 20:28; Heb. 1:8 )
He was called Son of God (Mark 1:1)
He is sinless (1 Pet. 2:22; Heb. 4:15)
He knew all things (John 21:17)
He gives eternal life (John 20:28 )
The fullness of deity dwells in Him (Col. 2:9)

As Man -
He worshiped the Father (John 17)
He prayed to the Father (John 17:1)
He was called man (Mark 15:39; John 19:5).
He was called Son of Man (John 19:35-37)
He was tempted (Matt. 4:1)
He grew in wisdom (Luke 2:52)
He died (Rom. 5:8 )
He has a body of flesh and bones (Luke 24:39)

(From "If Jesus was God, who did he Pray To?")
2.Why did He say the Father was greater than He (John 14:2Cool?
He said that because, while being God, he was also Man, and lower than God. He was "...made for a little while lower than the angels..." (Hebrews 2:9). Also in Phillipians 2:5-8, it says that Jesus "emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men..."
Jesus has two natures. Jesus was not denying that He was God. He was merely acknowledging the fact that He was also a man. Jesus is both God and man. As a man, he was in a lesser position than the Father. He became a man to die for people.

The last question has the same answer as the second.

em200727
Student

good

Post #3

Post by em200727 »

that was impressive there are alot of Christian reply's to that but im hoping for a debate :? srry
Defying Gravity

unprofitable servant
Apprentice

jehovahs witnesses

Post #4

Post by unprofitable servant »

The witnesses are correct on only a few basic things, but they are not more correct than any other group of Christians.

They only believe this because they carry the name of Jehovah but they do not know the truth as they like to think.

The questions that they ask are because they know that God is the creator of all things including the Lord Jesus Christ.

There are too many things wrong with that group and all I would be able to debate about them would be against their doctrines.

But I'll keep my eyes open to this thread to see what you get.

AlAyeti
Guru

Post #5

Post by AlAyeti »

Remember JW's "Big Bang" origination was from a "Prophet" named Charles Taze Russell. And after Charles went the way of all flesh Judge Rutherford kept the fire burning.

But alas, there Revelations are nothing new. Arianism (exactly the same as JWism) was bantered about almost 2000 years ago and the Jews followed Christians around all over the Roman Empire denouncing Jesus as God and His followers as blasphemers, well before Arian. The Gospels do not hide the fact that many people had a hard time with Jesus equating Himself with God.

But God being a man is nothing new either. The Jews that harrasssed the "Christians" were called Israelites after a man called Jacob had his named changed to "Israel" by a man who was called "God" in the Old Testament or, rather, the Tanakh, as Jewish people call their Bible. Sans New Testament.

Abraham spoke and had lunch with God.

Moses spoke to God face to face like a man speaks to his friend. But strangely couldn't see "God" and live (?).

Until Moses Maimonaides the great sage of Judaism, brought a bizaare twist on any anthropomorphic image of God as not meaning what the Bible clearly reports it to mean, Jews believed God walked around on Earth.

JW's had to write their own version of the Bible to wipe away the Deity of Jesus.

At least the Jewish publication society chose not to do that to their very Jewish translation of their Tanakh.

And, an unbelieveably graphic presentation of God walking around in a body, the Jews were instructed to bring a spade out when they relieved themselves, as the Lord walks among His people.

There is no arguing about God having a body in that advice.

Nirvana-Eld
Apprentice

Post #6

Post by Nirvana-Eld »

This is why we can't take the Bible literally. Jesus says many different things and does many different things. If we were to take everything literally then we would all be emptying our pockets of money trying not to be the camel squeezing through the eye of the needle.

"I and the Father are one." John 10:30

"In the Begining was the Word and the Word was with God and the word was God" John 1:1

These are pretty big claims for someone whos "just a man".

But then again all of this depends on the validity of the Gospels right?