Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Is paganism on the rise in the West?

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Hi all,

I feel paganism is on the rise in the West. This would be in line with my expectation that, without a Christian foundation, superstition is the natural recourse for creatures such as us that are made to worship. If you don't worship God you will worship something.

Do any atheists find this trend towards superstition and paganism disturbing?

http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/andr ... _bolivian/

The UN considering a rock as living. Surely that is just old school paganism.

Gunnarr

Post #51

Post by Gunnarr »

So you have no actual evidence you can present, and from what I read in your post you have not seen any evidence either.

phoenixrising
Student

Post #52

Post by phoenixrising »

Honestly, I find the rapid growth of christian reconstructionism and extreme calvinism [the two are often as connected as Siamese Twins] by far the most creepy trend on the modern religious scene!
Recons are deeply involved in government on all levels, from federal to local.

I don`t feel threatened by non-christian spiritualities and people.
In fact, I have learned much from those I had the chance to become familiar with.

phoenix

Burninglight
Guru

Re: Is paganism on the rise in the West?

Post #53

Post by Burninglight »

Goat wrote:
Wootah wrote:Hi all,

I feel paganism is on the rise in the West. This would be in line with my expectation that, without a Christian foundation, superstition is the natural recourse for creatures such as us that are made to worship. If you don't worship God you will worship something.

Do any atheists find this trend towards superstition and paganism disturbing?

http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/andr ... _bolivian/

The UN considering a rock as living. Surely that is just old school paganism.
Most of the Pagan's I know used to be Christian... and I find that comment 'without a Christian foundation, superstition is the natural recourse'.. I find much of Christianity to be superstition.

the link you provided leads to a blank page for me. I did have to track it down.

Frankly, this andrew bolt guy seems to be a loony from the rest of the things I scanned from him.

I don't find it disturbing in the U.S.... since pagans LEAVE ME ALONE, and don't try to legislate their morality onto me.

The Bolivian effort to respect 'mother earth' sounds more along the lines of using native traditions to respect the earth , rather than bow down to a religion introduced by conquerors.
I think someone is confusing Catholism with Biblical Christianity. There is no superstition in true Christianity!