Is the following quote part of a faith based system or not?

Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

yes
25%
no
75%

Total votes: 8

Wootah
Savant

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

My commentary is based upon experiential knowledge. I experience my physicality as being surrounded by life. You too can experience this by the simple act of observation. My physicality interacts with the life that surrounds it in such a manner that it forms a symbiotic relationship that is life sustaining, breathing being a prime example of this, which is again something that you can experience. Thus it is recognisable that caring for that which sustains my physicality, the environment, is an obvious outgrowth of the recognition of experiential knowledge ... NOT religion.

Personally, I do not care one way or the other what anyone else thinks about it being a "faith based claim", as it obviously isn't. They are, as all are, entitled to believe what ever it is that they choose to believe, whether such a belief is delusional or not.
When I read it from another poster I just felt the statement was clearly grounded in a religious outlook on life although I don't know which one. Was I wrong to think so? What do you think?

Deadclown
Scholar

Post #11

Post by Deadclown »

Wootah wrote:
Deadclown wrote:
Wootah wrote: Just to be clear the axe to grind is that I am pretty convinced that 'we all worship something' and that 'we might not like it called religion but we all have one'. In this era it is definitely easiest to spot in the green movement.
Yeah, that is a really wrong and slightly insulting opinion to express without evidence to support it. You have to define religion into meaningless vagueness for it even to hold under the most minor of scrutiny. You're entitled to your opinion. It just isn't one I can begin to take seriously. I'd love to see any evidence supporting this statement. If it is all of the type that you've demonstrated above then you should probably revise your opinion considerably.

How do you define 'religion' anyway?
I am always on the lookout for religious statements that might help penetrate to what is really going on.
You do that. Just be aware that you are probably wrong, and it's definitely wrong to put words into people's mouths. It's especially wrong to make blanket statements about their intentions or beliefs without any real evidence or indications.
My only axe with IAIAM specifically is the blue font because it stands out too much and makes reading difficult.
Then do you have a problem with non-religious people in general? To the point that you have to assert that none of us are really what we claim?

You don't catch me saying that none of you religious people are 'really' religious or that theists don't 'really' believe in God, because the statements don't make sense.
I think we all have beliefs and an ideology, exposing it is not easy but I always try to get people to look at why they are arguing what they argue, what is the drive, what do they believe that has them act and speak as they do.
Well, now you appear to be backpedaling a good bit. You said...
Just to be clear the axe to grind is that I am pretty convinced that 'we all worship something' and that 'we might not like it called religion but we all have one'.
Which is a far cry from everyone having 'beliefs' and an 'ideology'. Is that how you define 'religion'?

I can assure you, as someone who once was extremely religious, that I no longer have anything approaching those feelings or attitudes towards anything. I do not worship anything. You are coming at it from your singular perspective, and I can recall the tendency to find it implausible that people could function in a different manner. Some of us do. Your preconceptions and perspective is distorting your understanding of other people's positions.
I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it. - Mark Twain

Wootah
Savant

Post #12

Post by Wootah »

Deadclown wrote:Well, now you appear to be backpedaling a good bit. You said...
Just to be clear the axe to grind is that I am pretty convinced that 'we all worship something' and that 'we might not like it called religion but we all have one'.
Which is a far cry from everyone having 'beliefs' and an 'ideology'. Is that how you define 'religion'?

I can assure you, as someone who once was extremely religious, that I no longer have anything approaching those feelings or attitudes towards anything. I do not worship anything. You are coming at it from your singular perspective, and I can recall the tendency to find it implausible that people could function in a different manner. Some of us do. Your preconceptions and perspective is distorting your understanding of other people's positions.
I definitely think our beliefs and ideology lead to our actions and those repeated actions can quite rightly be labelled religious. I see religion and ideology as existing in the same set.

Deadclown
Scholar

Post #13

Post by Deadclown »

Wootah wrote:
Deadclown wrote:Well, now you appear to be backpedaling a good bit. You said...

I definitely think our beliefs and ideology lead to our actions and those repeated actions can quite rightly be labelled religious. I see religion and ideology as existing in the same set.
Considering you've had to quickly backpedal your statement from 'everyone is religious and worships something' to 'people's beliefs and ideologies lead to actions, and I want to call those actions religion for no reason', I'd say I've made my point. Let's take it a step further though and show exactly you why you are still wrong.

Religion is defined as meaning a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices or a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith.

Religious is defined as relating to or manifesting faithful devotion to an acknowledged ultimate reality or deity or of, relating to, or devoted to religious beliefs or observances.

Ideology is defined as a systematic body of concepts especially about human life or culture, or a manner/content of thinking characteristic of an individual, group, or culture.

See the differences there? Religion is a type of ideology, but ideologies are not necessarily religion. Just as every square is a rhombus but not every rhombus is a square.

So let's just be aware that you are taking a well defined term and using a incorrect personal definition of it in order to label everyone in the world as being 'religious'.
I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it. - Mark Twain

Wootah
Savant

Post #14

Post by Wootah »

Deadclown wrote:Considering you've had to quickly backpedal your statement from 'everyone is religious and worships something' to 'people's beliefs and ideologies lead to actions, and I want to call those actions religion for no reason', I'd say I've made my point. Let's take it a step further though and show exactly you why you are still wrong.
Whilst you might find comfort in the word backpedal I would suggest to you I am trying to find common ground. I do think that we all worship something.
See the differences there? Religion is a type of ideology, but ideologies are not necessarily religion. Just as every square is a rhombus but not every rhombus is a square.
I'n not seeing that as a break down in my point. I see it more as a breakthrough for you to say the above.
So let's just be aware that you are taking a well defined term and using a incorrect personal definition of it in order to label everyone in the world as being 'religious'.
Again that doesn't seem to be a deficit in my argument or thoughts at this point. You can add or subtract God from the religion and examine the ideology that remains or look at the ideology and extrapolate to what kind of God (an embodiment of that ideology in a being) a person following that ideology worships. I think the best thing to do to get people out of false religions and ideologies is to have them look at what they and their culture have become.

Deadclown
Scholar

Post #15

Post by Deadclown »

Deadclown wrote: Considering you've had to quickly backpedal your statement from 'everyone is religious and worships something' to 'people's beliefs and ideologies lead to actions, and I want to call those actions religion for no reason', I'd say I've made my point. Let's take it a step further though and show exactly you why you are still wrong.
Wootah wrote: Whilst you might find comfort in the word backpedal I would suggest to you I am trying to find common ground. I do think that we all worship something.
You made erroneous statements. I have thoroughly showed how wrong they are on several levels and you've continually conceded ground on the issue. It doesn't give me 'comfort', whatever you mean by that. Although I do find it to be a fun pastime.

You keep making false generalized statements that don't even really make sense. I don't worship anything. So how do I then worship something? See, I know what worshiping something is like because I used to do it. Do you know what not worshiping anything is like?
Deadclown wrote: See the differences there? Religion is a type of ideology, but ideologies are not necessarily religion. Just as every square is a rhombus but not every rhombus is a square.
Wootah wrote: I'n not seeing that as a break down in my point. I see it more as a breakthrough for you to say the above.
Did you have difficulty understanding my language there or do you not know what a rhombus and square are? A square has four equal sides that all meet at right angles. A rhombus has four equal sides but the sides can meet at any angle. So every square is, by definition, also a rhombus, but not every rhombus is also a square.

All religions are ideologies. Not all ideologies are religions. You using the words interchangeably is simply incorrect.

You don't have a point, only opinions that are backed by false usage of the language. If you want to hold firm to your opinion and your false definitions for no rational reason, you are more than welcome to, but please do not act like you have actually presented an argument in favor of your opinion.
Deadclown wrote: So let's just be aware that you are taking a well defined term and using a incorrect personal definition of it in order to label everyone in the world as being 'religious'.
Wootah wrote: Again that doesn't seem to be a deficit in my argument or thoughts at this point. You can add or subtract God from the religion and examine the ideology that remains or look at the ideology and extrapolate to what kind of God (an embodiment of that ideology in a being) a person following that ideology worships. I think the best thing to do to get people out of false religions and ideologies is to have them look at what they and their culture have become.
Ideology and Religion are not the same thing. Please go back and reread the definitions that I kindly provided for your use.

All religions are types of ideologies. However, there can be ideologies that have nothing to do with God, religion, worshiping, or magic.

You haven't yet made an argument. You just keep repeating your false statements and misused words. If you'd actually like to make an argument for your stance, I suggest starting with the following. At this point, consider it a challenge;

1) Please show that everyone in the world has an ideology or explain why everyone must have one logically.
2) Please show how the following ideologies can be extrapolated to a god (Webster Definition; a being or object believed to have more than natural attributes and powers and to require human worship) as an embodiment of the idea... The Scientific Method, Mercantilism, Common Sense, and Communism (to get you started on non-religious ideologies, there are many).
3) Then please show that those gods receive worship (Webster Definition; reverence offered a divine being or supernatural power) from those who follow that ideology.

Once you have done at least that much, you'll actually have made an argument in favor of your statements, instead of just offering your opinion.

Burninglight
Guru

Religion

Post #16

Post by Burninglight »

Religion is not faith based to me and it is what nailed Jesus to the cross. Religion is a drug like what Carl Marx calls the opium of the people. Religion is what people do. It is relationship with God that is faith based. If we sow a thought we reap an action; sow and action reap a habit; sow a habit reap a character; sow a character and reap a destiny

Fides et Veritas

Post #17

Post by Fides et Veritas »

I guess my contention on this would be that is that you are correct that is faith based belief. It is however, I feel not a religious belief nor a spiritual belief. In the long run it greatly depends upon what the issuer of that comment feels more than what you or I think.

I know that if I had uttered that what it would mean but am not sure as to what the actual utterer meant. So beyond conjecture and assumptions I have provided the best answer that I or anyone else could on this subject.

Sorry to be late to the party as well.

I am on a mission to scan old posts for interesting topics.

Thanks.