Are ethnic Buddhists in the Far East atheists?

Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

Susma
Under Probation

Are ethnic Buddhists in the Far East atheists?

Post #1

Post by Susma »

From stock knowledge I see that converts to Buddhists from among Westerners like Europeans and Americans keep saying that Buddhism is atheistic.

Here is an internet article stating that Asian Buddhists are not atheists.

My purpose here is to find out how Asian Buddhists are not atheistic, and how Westerners-atheists who take up with Buddhism are so self-congratulatory that Buddhism is atheistic.

First, befroe anything else I want to find out what is God for Asians who are ethnic Buddhists in the Far East, and what is God for Westerners-atheists like the ones in the US.

What do you say, fellow posters in this board on Non-Christian Religions and Philosophies, should we not first find out what is God for the Asian Buddhists and what is God for Westerners-atheists who take up with Buddhism?

Susma

TheBlackPhilosophy
Apprentice

Post #11

Post by TheBlackPhilosophy »

From what I know Buddhism is not a religion, but a way in which to view the world.

It is not based upon beliefs, but knowledge. To say that Buddhists are atheists, or theists is to miss the point of Buddhism altogether.

A Buddhist viewpoint of God would be to ask, "What is God?".
In Buddhism this question is the same as, "What am I, Who am I?", or, "What is the Mind?".

To quote Jesus, "Let those who have ears hear!".
Burninglight wrote:They might has well be athiest. They believe in Budah as their idol who was and is no God !
Don't let your ego get the best of you, when you do this you block your own ability to learn.

Burninglight
Guru

Post #12

Post by Burninglight »

TheBlackPhilosophy wrote:From what I know Buddhism is not a religion, but a way in which to view the world.

It is not based upon beliefs, but knowledge. To say that Buddhists are atheists, or theists is to miss the point of Buddhism altogether.

A Buddhist viewpoint of God would be to ask, "What is God?".
In Buddhism this question is the same as, "What am I, Who am I?", or, "What is the Mind?".

To quote Jesus, "Let those who have ears hear!".
Burninglight wrote:They might has well be athiest. They believe in Budah as their idol who was and is no God !
Don't let your ego get the best of you, when you do this you block your own ability to learn.
It is not a question or case of ego. It is my not wanting to be forever learning and never coming to the knowledge of truth. Jesus said wide is the gate to destruction and many go that way but straight and narrow is the way that leads to life and few find it.