Unsure
13%

Total votes: 62

canadianhorsefan
Student

Islam

Post #1

Post by canadianhorsefan »

Well, just want to see if anyone is interested why Islam is right.

canadianhorsefan

Nirvana-Eld
Apprentice

Post #181

Post by Nirvana-Eld »

Well one place to look is "The Case for Christ" by an athiest turned christian Lee Stroble. Its my anchor to reason personally and its an excellent casual read. It discusses his claims and the writings about them (including the validity of the writings). I'm not nearly the skeptic i was before and it put most of my questions to shame. Just a suggestion though.

And historians agree that Jesus existed as a human being. Thats what I was trying to say in the last post.

*edit*

just read your source.
Much of what is often interpreted as suggesting divinity comes from the fourth gospel, but this is considered to be of relatively late authorship (compared to the synoptics) and may reflect theological ideas developed in the early church or those of the author, and may thus be removed from the actual claims/sayings of Jesus
He made quite a few biased statements here such as "it is considered" and "may be". I don't see how an arguement against the existence of his claims to divinity can stand on may be's.

Against the rebuttle of "Liar Lunatic", Jesus has a quote in which he says that he would split households and that he came not to make peace but to stir things up. To my knowledge thats not in the OT.

The article often makes statements like "the mythic christ". The gospel of Mark was written about 30 years after the historical Jesus died and thats not nearly enough time for a myth to distort the truth, ask any historian.

I'm sorry for going off topic ahead of time. :roll:
Last edited by Nirvana-Eld on Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

bernee51
Site Supporter

Post #182

Post by bernee51 »

Nirvana-Eld wrote:Well one place to look is "The Case for Christ" by an athiest turned christian Lee Stroble.
I wasn't asking Lee Strobel, I was asking you. I thought perhpas you had something new to say - not the same tired old pap that Strobel and ilk wheel out.
Nirvana-Eld wrote: Its my anchor to reason personally and its an excellent casual read.
My anchor is self inquiry and whether or not Strobel is an 'excellent casual read" is a matter of opinion.
Nirvana-Eld wrote: It discusses his claims and the writings about them (including the validity of the writings). I'm not nearly the skeptic i was before and it put most of my questions to shame. Just a suggestion though.
The Case for Christ is nothing more than a creative summary the work of many leading apologists for Evangelical Christianity. It is hardly original nor does it introduce any arguments that could be considered 'new'.

Thank you for the suggestion.
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

William James quoting Dr. Hodgson

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj

Nirvana-Eld
Apprentice

Post #183

Post by Nirvana-Eld »

The Case for Christ answered and satisfied my self inquiry is all that I am saying. And yes I was giving my opinion of the book. I alos do not consider myself an Evangelical Christian just to throw away name calling.

"What I have" as you put it is the evidence that i found in the book and many other logical arguments. Thats what i have.

bernee51
Site Supporter

Post #184

Post by bernee51 »

Nirvana-Eld wrote:The Case for Christ answered and satisfied my self inquiry is all that I am saying. And yes I was giving my opinion of the book.
That is great.
Nirvana-Eld wrote: I alos do not consider myself an Evangelical Christian just to throw away name calling.
If you got the idea that I was implying you are then you are mistaken. My refernce to EC was purley in the opinion I expressed about Strobel.
Nirvana-Eld wrote: "What I have" as you put it is the evidence that i found in the book and many other logical arguments. Thats what i have.
Fine. I have found none of that evidence (and Strobel is a pretty good summary of all the evidence) at all convincing.
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

William James quoting Dr. Hodgson

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj