Misconceptions about Christianity

Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

Burninglight
Guru

Misconceptions about Christianity

Post #1

Post by Burninglight »

1. Christianity is based on blind faith. Christianity is not based on blind faith, but rather faith based on evidence. Blind faith is superstition. Christianity is overwhelmingly supported by reason, evidence, and scientific inquiry. http://www.faithfacts.org/search-for-tr ... christians.

2. We get to heaven based on how good we are here on earth. This is not true we are saved by grace through faith it is not of ourselves; it is the gift of God.

3. Once we become a Christian, being saved by God’s gift of grace, it does not matter what we do
This is not true. God is not mocked. Whatever a man sows, so shall he reap.

4. There are many ways to heaven, many paths to God. Because man is separated from God by his sin, the penalty for our sin had to be paid somehow for justice to be done. Jesus Christ paid the penalty for our sins. Thus Christ is thus the only name under heaven by which man may be saved (Acts 4:12). http://www.faithfacts.org/search-for-tr ... s-the-same.

5. It doesn’t matter what you believe as long as you are sincere. This is a nice idea, but does not hold up to logic. Christianity is so radically different from other belief systems that if Christianity is true, the others are false. One can be sincere and be sincerely wrong. Sincere belief in a cult, in a false religion, in atheism, or in the tooth fairy do not get one to heaven.
http://www.faithfacts.org/world-religio ... ristianity.

6. The New Testament was written long after the events took place and are thus subject to legends being inserted into the text. The New Testament was written entirely by eye witnesses to the life of Christ or by interviewers of eyewitnesses. Many of the books were written within 25 or so years of Christ’s death, and many scholars—both liberal and conservative—are moving toward the view that all of the books of the New Testament were written prior to the destruction of Jerusalem by the Romans in 70 AD. The one book for which some doubt remains is Revelation. But recent scholarship holds that even this book was written prior to 70 AD. This is the view that liberal scholar John A. T. Robinson presents in his book Redating the New Testament. This is also the view that conservative scholar Kenneth Gentry presents in his book Before Jerusalem Fell. So there was not enough time for the stories to have been developed into legend. Further, as professor of Medieval and Renaissance English, C. S. Lewis said, “Another point is that on that view you would have to regard the accounts of the Man [Jesus] as being legends. Now, as a literary historian, I am perfectly convinced that whatever else the Gospels are they are not legends. I have read a great deal of legend and I am quite clear that they are not the same sort of thing.� (quote from Lewis’ “God in the Dock.�)

7. The Bible has been changed or is otherwise not true to the original manuscripts. The original manuscripts—that is, the actual pieces of parchment or papyrus upon which St. Paul and others wrote the Bible—are no longer extant. But, especially as regards to the New Testament there has been an unbroken chain of manuscripts from the originals. There are thousands of ancient manuscripts extant, including ones from the first and second centuries. Scholars have been able to correlate the manuscripts to know that the Bible we have today is faithful to the originals. See http://www.faithfacts.org/search-for-truth/maps. A good book on this issue is The New Testament Documents: Are They Reliable? by F. F. Bruce. Regarding the Old Testament, the Dead Sea Scrolls, first discovered in 1947 were from the time of Christ and even to the 2nd century BC. These manuscripts predate the previously oldest known manuscripts by a thousand years. Comparisons of these texts with the others already in existence showed that they were essentially identical. This information confirms how carefully the texts were copied over the centuries and has given scholars tremendous confidence in the accuracy of the Old Testament we have today.

Ankhhape
Scholar

Re: acid

Post #141

Post by Ankhhape »

Burninglight wrote:
Ankhhape wrote:
A Troubled Man wrote:
Burninglight wrote:
Ankhhape wrote:
Burninglight wrote:
Ankhhape wrote: Did it ever occur to you that god is also a mythical creature?
Did it occur to you that God is the only real entity in the universe, and we along with all creation are just a part of His created imagination? If He stops thinking about it, we will all vanish?
lol :lol:
;) Actually I have, and many other scenarios, but I like to keep my agnostic stance in that "I" don't know for sure about any of this.
Well. it's better saying you don't known than to say there's no God at all! :)
Is there any reason why you wouldn't accept your own advice? Isn't it better for you to honestly state you don't know if there's a God, but you have blind faith there is a God despite the fact there isn't anything in nature showing us that gods exist?
For me that is THE essence behind agnosticism, it is the reality that One does not know for certain yet it allows for personal Belief . . . e.g. I don't Believe there to be an Abrahamic type of god, but I wouldn't know for certain.
Since you didn't answer my question I share a part of my testimony with you. As follows: Many years back, I met with my friends in New York after they had done some acid. They we having a wonderful experience. I ask if they had anymore acid, but they said they did it all, but there might be a little on the wrapper I tasted it and waited while they were telling of the trails and experience they were seeing. I saw nothing. The next day, I bought some on my own (puple haze) and took half the amount. Not realizing it takes about 40 minutes to an hour to hit you, I impatiently took the other half because I felt nothing. Then the first half started to kick in.

I was feeling a little down that day. Acid is like an amplifier if you feel bad it amplifies it and if happy the same thus it determines a good or bad trip. Some people lose their minds. The first half hit me hard and I was having a bad isolated lonely freaked out trip. No one could tell looking at me but my legs turned to rubber it seemed and cars and buses split in half and my mind felt it was going to snap and I wasn’t peaking yet from the first half I took.

It got so bad that I ran into a church and cried out to God knowing that no one could help me. As I did I felt better and walk out of that church straight as if I had taken nothing. Now this started my relationship with God and Jesus. It didn’t stop me from doing acid, but I pondered the experience in my heart of hearts.

Now, I know that it is not possible to blow an acid head; a pot head yes. The only way to come down from acid is by going to a hospital to be pumped full of concentrated vitamin C shots. I came down as an answer to prayer. I have learned that God can meet you anywhere even if you were stoned out of your bird or straight as an arrow. He is real I could swear to that with my life! But, there are a lot of deceivers out there competing for your soul. I trust Jesus with mine.
I'm not sure what that whole story is saying, but I remain unconvinced (even more so by this experience) that there is a god.

DMT is produced in the human brain and is involved in certain psychological and neurological states. It is naturally occurring in human cerebrospinal fluid. It plays a role in mediating the visual effects of natural dreaming, and also near-death experiences, religious visions and other mystical states.

Psychoactice drugs such as "LSD, psilocybin, mescaline, DMT" all induce chemicals that contribute to Shamanic experiences. Your religious experience was chemically induced.

Burninglight
Guru

Re: acid

Post #142

Post by Burninglight »

Ankhhape wrote:
Burninglight wrote:
Ankhhape wrote:
A Troubled Man wrote:
Burninglight wrote:
Ankhhape wrote:
Burninglight wrote:
Ankhhape wrote: Did it ever occur to you that god is also a mythical creature?
Did it occur to you that God is the only real entity in the universe, and we along with all creation are just a part of His created imagination? If He stops thinking about it, we will all vanish?
;) Actually I have, and many other scenarios, but I like to keep my agnostic stance in that "I" don't know for sure about any of this.
Well. it's better saying you don't known than to say there's no God at all! :)
Is there any reason why you wouldn't accept your own advice? Isn't it better for you to honestly state you don't know if there's a God, but you have blind faith there is a God despite the fact there isn't anything in nature showing us that gods exist?
For me that is THE essence behind agnosticism, it is the reality that One does not know for certain yet it allows for personal Belief . . . e.g. I don't Believe there to be an Abrahamic type of god, but I wouldn't know for certain.
Since you didn't answer my question I share a part of my testimony with you. As follows: Many years back, I met with my friends in New York after they had done some acid. They we having a wonderful experience. I ask if they had anymore acid, but they said they did it all, but there might be a little on the wrapper I tasted it and waited while they were telling of the trails and experience they were seeing. I saw nothing. The next day, I bought some on my own (puple haze) and took half the amount. Not realizing it takes about 40 minutes to an hour to hit you, I impatiently took the other half because I felt nothing. Then the first half started to kick in.

I was feeling a little down that day. Acid is like an amplifier if you feel bad it amplifies it and if happy the same thus it determines a good or bad trip. Some people lose their minds. The first half hit me hard and I was having a bad isolated lonely freaked out trip. No one could tell looking at me but my legs turned to rubber it seemed and cars and buses split in half and my mind felt it was going to snap and I wasn’t peaking yet from the first half I took.

It got so bad that I ran into a church and cried out to God knowing that no one could help me. As I did I felt better and walk out of that church straight as if I had taken nothing. Now this started my relationship with God and Jesus. It didn’t stop me from doing acid, but I pondered the experience in my heart of hearts.

Now, I know that it is not possible to blow an acid head; a pot head yes. The only way to come down from acid is by going to a hospital to be pumped full of concentrated vitamin C shots. I came down as an answer to prayer. I have learned that God can meet you anywhere even if you were stoned out of your bird or straight as an arrow. He is real I could swear to that with my life! But, there are a lot of deceivers out there competing for your soul. I trust Jesus with mine.
I'm not sure what that whole story is saying, but I remain unconvinced (even more so by this experience) that there is a god.

DMT is produced in the human brain and is involved in certain psychological and neurological states. It is naturally occurring in human cerebrospinal fluid. It plays a role in mediating the visual effects of natural dreaming, and also near-death experiences, religious visions and other mystical states.

Psychoactice drugs such as "LSD, psilocybin, mescaline, DMT" all induce chemicals that contribute to Shamanic experiences. Your religious experience was chemically induced.
You cannot produce a chemical to blow an LSD head, but a pot head yes. I didn't experience anything with God. It is just that I prayed and walked out in peace and I had come down before peaking on the drug. Call it what you want, but this is not my only experience with what I call spiritual intervention. I don't deny that it has something to do with our faith. Our faith is what moves the hand of God!

Burninglight
Guru

Post #143

Post by Burninglight »

Autodidact wrote:

Did it ever occur to you that god is also a mythical creature?
It occurred to me. Then I came down from the acid.[/quote]
This testimony was meant for you: Since you didn't answer my question I share a part of my testimony with you. As follows: Many years back, I met with my friends in New York after they had done some acid. They we having a wonderful experience. I ask if they had anymore acid, but they said they did it all, but there might be a little on the wrapper. I tasted it and waited while they were telling of the trails and experience they were seeing. I saw nothing. The next day, I bought some on my own (puple haze) and took half the amount. Not realizing it takes about 40 minutes to an hour to hit you, I impatiently took the other half because I felt nothing. Then the first half started to kick in.

kayky
Prodigy

Post #144

Post by kayky »

Ankhhape wrote: You're entitled to believe whatever you wish. I am not an atheist, I find it to have the same faith based principles as theism, and I don't know what you mean by "Magick guy?" . . . most Belief Systems have Magickal aspects to them, most people are Magickal, or at least have the potential to be.
I just remember you talking about it on another thread, and it led to this big discussion on martial arts. I left because I had no idea what you guys were talking about.

What do you believe about God? What do you mean by magick?

kayky
Prodigy

Post #145

Post by kayky »

Burninglight wrote:
Do all Espiscopalins belief that Satan is a myth? I didn't know that.
Most do. Some don't.
I am interested in truth and meeting God on His terms. Dogmatism?
Do you mean like when Jesus turned the tables upside down in the temple and whipped people out of the temple. Define dogmatic and what verse do you have to back up that Jesus wasn't resolved about certain things in religion!
Dogmatism is rigid adherence to rules. Without looking up specific verses, I'll just remind you of Jesus breaking the Sabbath as an example.
]I happy for you. I am glad to hear that. I don't disagree with the church loving and accepting gays. But I don't condone them acting out or teaching their life style to me or mine
What would you do if your teenage son or daughter came to you someday and told you that he or she was gay?

Burninglight
Guru

Post #146

Post by Burninglight »

kayky wrote:
Burninglight wrote:
Do all Espiscopalins belief that Satan is a myth? I didn't know that.
Most do. Some don't.
I am interested in truth and meeting God on His terms. Dogmatism?
Do you mean like when Jesus turned the tables upside down in the temple and whipped people out of the temple. Define dogmatic and what verse do you have to back up that Jesus wasn't resolved about certain things in religion!
Dogmatism is rigid adherence to rules. Without looking up specific verses, I'll just remind you of Jesus breaking the Sabbath as an example.
]I happy for you. I am glad to hear that. I don't disagree with the church loving and accepting gays. But I don't condone them acting out or teaching their life style to me or mine
What would you do if your teenage son or daughter came to you someday and told you that he or she was gay?
I know what dogmatism is, but I have no problem with Jesus breaking the Sabbath. Jesus is our Sabbath or rest. I have a problem understanding how or why you would imply I am dogmatic. What could I do if my kids told me they were gay? I could suggest that they repent from a gay live style, because I don't believe God meant for a man to have sex with a man. God created Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve. If you want to call me dogmatic because of this, go ahead. I wouldn't think dogmatism is any worse than justifying sin using progressive religion as an excuse.

Autodidact
Prodigy

Post #147

Post by Autodidact »

It occurred to me. Then I came down from the acid.
I was joking.
This testimony was meant for you: Since you didn't answer my question I share a part of my testimony with you. As follows: Many years back, I met with my friends in New York after they had done some acid. They we having a wonderful experience. I ask if they had anymore acid, but they said they did it all, but there might be a little on the wrapper. I tasted it and waited while they were telling of the trails and experience they were seeing. I saw nothing. The next day, I bought some on my own (puple haze) and took half the amount. Not realizing it takes about 40 minutes to an hour to hit you, I impatiently took the other half because I felt nothing. Then the first half started to kick in.

Your religious experience was the result of an acid trip?! Wow.

kayky
Prodigy

Post #148

Post by kayky »

Burninglight wrote: What could I do if my kids told me they were gay? I could suggest that they repent from a gay live style, because I don't believe God meant for a man to have sex with a man. God created Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve. If you want to call me dogmatic because of this, go ahead. I wouldn't think dogmatism is any worse than justifying sin using progressive religion as an excuse.
Please tell me you didn't just use the "Adam and Steve" cliche.

You do know that people are born gay, right? It isn't a lifestyle choice. Therefore, it cannot possibly be a sin. Progressive Christianity does not excuse sin (urban myth). It does recognize, however, that we know more about human sexuality than people in the first century. We believe it is a sin to ask people to repent for being born gay. It would be the same as asking someone to repent for being born with red hair.

Ankhhape
Scholar

Post #149

Post by Ankhhape »

kayky wrote:
Ankhhape wrote: You're entitled to believe whatever you wish. I am not an atheist, I find it to have the same faith based principles as theism, and I don't know what you mean by "Magick guy?" . . . most Belief Systems have Magickal aspects to them, most people are Magickal, or at least have the potential to be.
I just remember you talking about it on another thread, and it led to this big discussion on martial arts. I left because I had no idea what you guys were talking about.

What do you believe about God? What do you mean by magick?
Well why didn't you say so in the first place? LOL!! #-o

to me all gods, devils, angels, demons, etc. are archetypal images buried deep within our unconsciousness, they are brought to the consciousness by way of Symbolism. These archetypes can and do become powerful Thought-Forms and are survival oriented memes.

Magick is the Art of creating change through the focused projection of the Will.

kayky
Prodigy

Post #150

Post by kayky »

Are you influenced by Jung? I do admire his work.