Any supporters of the Ancient Astronaut theory on this forum

Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

Nickman
Site Supporter

Any supporters of the Ancient Astronaut theory on this forum

Post #1

Post by Nickman »

I am curious if there are any Ancient Astronaut Theorists on this forum. I haven't seen any posts or threads, but I may have not searched far enough. I am intrigued by the theory mainly because of the Sumerians beliefs and the things they claim to have seen. Stories of Shems (rockets) and other flying machines (DIN.GIR). I consider this theory more plausible than the Abrahamic traditions and I see a retelling of the Sumerians stories in several books of the bible. I would definitely like to entertain this idea for a bit and see everyone's thoughts on this subject.

Some questions;

How do we explain the Sumerian's knowledge of planets outside of our view and that were not discovered until this past century?

The creation of the asteroid belt (Hammered Bracelet or Firmament from the bible) was said to be the result of our planet and some satellite planets colliding causing the water and rock from our planet to break away, freeze and pursue a new orbit. What comments do you have on this thoroughly explained and highly plausible scenario written 8 thousand years ago?

How do we explain the claims of rocketships and other spacecraft that resemble our modern equipment we use today by a supposedly primitive people?

Does anyone have any other awesome claims from them to add to the conversation?

Goat
Site Supporter

Re: Any supporters of the Ancient Astronaut theory on this f

Post #2

Post by Goat »

Nickman wrote: I am curious if there are any Ancient Astronaut Theorists on this forum. I haven't seen any posts or threads, but I may have not searched far enough. I am intrigued by the theory mainly because of the Sumerians beliefs and the things they claim to have seen. Stories of Shems (rockets) and other flying machines (DIN.GIR). I consider this theory more plausible than the Abrahamic traditions and I see a retelling of the Sumerians stories in several books of the bible. I would definitely like to entertain this idea for a bit and see everyone's thoughts on this subject.

Some questions;

How do we explain the Sumerian's knowledge of planets outside of our view and that were not discovered until this past century?

The creation of the asteroid belt (Hammered Bracelet or Firmament from the bible) was said to be the result of our planet and some satellite planets colliding causing the water and rock from our planet to break away, freeze and pursue a new orbit. What comments do you have on this thoroughly explained and highly plausible scenario written 8 thousand years ago?

How do we explain the claims of rocketships and other spacecraft that resemble our modern equipment we use today by a supposedly primitive people?

Well, the claims i have seen from that are by someone who really takes things out of context to try to promote their theories (and sell their books). The claims for rocketships and other space craft is due to selective reading/presentation , and is highly exaggerated.

I would REALLY love to something like that to be true. However, the evidence isn't there. .. it is mostly wishful thinking and exaggeration. I am not the type that will believe in something just because I want it to be true... it has to has sufficient evidence.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Ankhhape
Scholar

Post #3

Post by Ankhhape »

Goat wrote:
Nickman wrote: I am curious if there are any Ancient Astronaut Theorists on this forum. I haven't seen any posts or threads, but I may have not searched far enough. I am intrigued by the theory mainly because of the Sumerians beliefs and the things they claim to have seen. Stories of Shems (rockets) and other flying machines (DIN.GIR). I consider this theory more plausible than the Abrahamic traditions and I see a retelling of the Sumerians stories in several books of the bible. I would definitely like to entertain this idea for a bit and see everyone's thoughts on this subject.

Some questions;

Well, the claims i have seen from that are by someone who really takes things out of context to try to promote their theories (and sell their books). The claims for rocketships and other space craft is due to selective reading/presentation , and is highly exaggerated.

I would REALLY love to something like that to be true. However, the evidence isn't there. .. it is mostly wishful thinking and exaggeration. I am not the type that will believe in something just because I want it to be true... it has to has sufficient evidence.
What books were the Sumerians, Dogon, and Egypt selling?

Nickman
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Nickman »

Goat wrote:

Some questions;

How is it exaggerated? I have done alot of research on the subject and find the claims of the Sumerians to be quite impressive as well as plausible. How would they be able to describe a rocketship called a shem and the same shem is also listed in the bible. The "land of the shems" was the "land of the rockets". Not to mention that most buildings and statues were megalithic all around the world for a long time, which begs the question why and how?

Now would it be more plausible for the god's we know of today to have originated as people from a different planet? The Sumerians think so. They also called earth the seventh planet. When you count the planets from the furthest out toward the sun, earth is the seventh one. How would they have known this if we just recently figured these things out within the last century?

Nickman
Site Supporter

DIN.GIR

Post #5

Post by Nickman »

The hieroglyph for DIN.GIR, two words together that mean deity, sky or heaven, is a rocket ship shape. The Sumerian's gods were travelers from another planet.

LiamOS
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by LiamOS »

[color=olive]Nickman[/color] wrote:The Sumerians think so. They also called earth the seventh planet. When you count the planets from the furthest out toward the sun, earth is the seventh one. How would they have known this if we just recently figured these things out within the last century?
That's true only if one counts Pluto. Why would they only count Pluto, and not Eris, Makemake, Haumea or even Ceres and Vesta? I'd be extremely impressed if anybody could find some criterion for 'a planet' which places the Earth as the 7th from either direction, and consequently I dismiss this argument as an ad-hoc attempt to make some evidence fit.
[color=orange]Nickman[/color] wrote: The hieroglyph for DIN.GIR, two words together that mean deity, sky or heaven, is a rocket ship shape. The Sumerian's gods were travelers from another planet.

This kind of argument is known as a non-sequitur, meaning that it the conclusion does not follow.

[color=violet]Nickman[/color] wrote:How do we explain the claims of rocketships and other spacecraft that resemble our modern equipment we use today by a supposedly primitive people?
Random drawings that vaguely resemble spaceships isn't massively surprising. Many of them also resemble giant squid or even phallic symbols, but that doesn't mean that squid or genitals are aliens or gods or anything similar.
[color=green]Nickman[/color] wrote:The creation of the asteroid belt (Hammered Bracelet or Firmament from the bible) was said to be the result of our planet and some satellite planets colliding causing the water and rock from our planet to break away, freeze and pursue a new orbit. What comments do you have on this thoroughly explained and highly plausible scenario written 8 thousand years ago?
I'd first like to ask for a source for that, and then I'd like to add that it's almost certainly wrong. Given the minimal eccentricity of the belt and its orbital stability, Earth is almost certainly irrelevant in its formation. Mars would be an influence, but only gravitationally.
The asteroid belt, off the top of my head, is merely remnant debris that was incapable of undergoing significant condensation due to Jupiter's gravitation influence. There are several reasons why the asteroid belt is unlikely to be the result of a planetary collision which you can probably find on wikipedia.

Ankhhape
Scholar

Post #7

Post by Ankhhape »

AkiThePirate wrote:
[color=olive]Nickman[/color] wrote:The Sumerians think so. They also called earth the seventh planet. When you count the planets from the furthest out toward the sun, earth is the seventh one. How would they have known this if we just recently figured these things out within the last century?
That's true only if one counts Pluto. Why would they only count Pluto, and not Eris, Makemake, Haumea or even Ceres and Vesta? I'd be extremely impressed if anybody could find some criterion for 'a planet' which places the Earth as the 7th from either direction, and consequently I dismiss this argument as an ad-hoc attempt to make some evidence fit
AkiThePirate, Sumerian mythology is thousands of years before anyone every even set foot on Greece :whistle:

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by Goat »

Ankhhape wrote:
Goat wrote:

Some questions;

What books were the Sumerians, Dogon, and Egypt selling?

When it comes to the ancient writings , it is an extreme stretch , and quite the fantasy to think they are referring to ancient astronauts. I don't see it personally, I think it is confirmation bias and fantasy.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Nickman
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by Nickman »

AkiThePirate wrote: That's true only if one counts Pluto. Why would they only count Pluto, and not Eris, Makemake, Haumea or even Ceres and Vesta? I'd be extremely impressed if anybody could find some criterion for 'a planet' which places the Earth as the 7th from either direction, and consequently I dismiss this argument as an ad-hoc attempt to make some evidence fit.
Just to put this out there, I am not a supporter of the AAT I am just inquiring and playing a bit of a DA to this thread. I do find the Sumerian texts very plausible though in their mentality.

To answer your question these other planets were probably not mentioned because they are hella far, much farther than our immediate solar system.
The fact that from Pluto inward the seven major planets would be the most visible to an outsider coming into our solar system. The Sumerians believed in a twelfth planet known as Nibiru or Marduk in Akkadian. Many of the god's we see later are actual planet names or are derivatives from them. I think this has some plausibilty that originally deities may have been either planets or possible visitors. Do you find it plausible that there could be a race of extra-terrestrials more advanced than us?
[color=orange]Nickman[/color] wrote: The hieroglyph for DIN.GIR, two words together that mean deity, sky or heaven, is a rocket ship shape. The Sumerian's gods were travelers from another planet.

This kind of argument is known as a non-sequitur, meaning that it the conclusion does not follow.
How could a civilization make drawings or sculptures or have in their own writing the mention of aircraft or aircraft shaped flying objects? With the Sumerians we have the original texts on clay tablets which have not been tampered with or interpreted from generation to generation.
Random drawings that vaguely resemble spaceships isn't massively surprising. Many of them also resemble giant squid or even phallic symbols, but that doesn't mean that squid or genitals are aliens or gods or anything similar.
Almost all cultures not just the Sumerians have tales of aircraft objects in the air and sculptures and drawings of said objects. How would you explain that?

Giant Squid are real so these sculptures/drawings were correct, right? I mean, I have seen a giant squid at a museum. Before we went deeper into the oceans science said that giant squid didn't exist, but now we have seen they are real.
I'd first like to ask for a source for that, and then I'd like to add that it's almost certainly wrong. Given the minimal eccentricity of the belt and its orbital stability, Earth is almost certainly irrelevant in its formation. Mars would be an influence, but only gravitationally.
I am using Zechariah Sitchin as the source who is the founder of this theory. I know he is not peer-approved but I am stating his thoughts and exegesis on the Sumerian texts. Such theories he has put into the community are the Twelfth Planet with a large eliptical orbit. This planet has not been found but mathematically it should be there. Thats how we found the gas giants in our solars system through mathematics. Then we were able to actually view them later.
The asteroid belt, off the top of my head, is merely remnant debris that was incapable of undergoing significant condensation due to Jupiter's gravitation influence. There are several reasons why the asteroid belt is unlikely to be the result of a planetary collision which you can probably find on wikipedia.
Thats one theory, yes.

LiamOS
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by LiamOS »

[color=orange]Ankhhape[/color] wrote:AkiThePirate, Sumerian mythology is thousands of years before anyone every even set foot on Greece :whistle:
I'm not sure if this is some level of humour I don't get, but this is lost on me.
[color=olive]Nickman[/color] wrote:To answer your question these other planets were probably not mentioned because they are hella far, much farther than our immediate solar system.
This still seems very arbitrary, and makes it look like an attempt to make it fit in hindsight.
[color=indigo]Nickman[/color] wrote:Do you find it plausible that there could be a race of extra-terrestrials more advanced than us?
Yes.
[color=green]Nickman[/color] wrote:How could a civilization make drawings or sculptures or have in their own writing the mention of aircraft or aircraft shaped flying objects?
Perhaps, in the same way that a civilisation makes drawings and writings about Harry Potter and Hobbits in Middle Earth.
Nickman wrote:Almost all cultures not just the Sumerians have tales of aircraft objects in the air and sculptures and drawings of said objects. How would you explain that?
Since there actually are things in the air from time to time(Birds and the like), it's not much of a stretch for people to write of aircraft.
[color=blue]Nickman[/color] wrote:I am using Zechariah Sitchin as the source who is the founder of this theory. I know he is not peer-approved but I am stating his thoughts and exegesis on the Sumerian texts. Such theories he has put into the community are the Twelfth Planet with a large eliptical orbit. This planet has not been found but mathematically it should be there. Thats how we found the gas giants in our solars system through mathematics. Then we were able to actually view them later.
I've not heard of this gravitational anomaly consistent with an extra planet, which would surprise me if it actually existed, since I spend most days in a room with two astrophysicists researching trans-Neptunian objects. Without the evidence, this is just assertion.
Also, orbits that eliptical are known to be very unstable.
[color=orange]Nickman[/color] wrote:Thats one theory, yes.
It's also the consistent and evidenced one.