my religiophilosphic view

Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

jaysus
Student

my religiophilosphic view

Post #1

Post by jaysus »

so, i wondered recently am i agnostic, gnostic, apatheist, deist, athiest or what ?

is there a selection chart like a branch chart till you get what you are ?

okay, so there could be god or gods but i don't see any evidence, and which one to choose out of the thousands anyway ?

evolution, sure, sounds better than a narrow window, monotheistic, legend of creation

science makes sense, holy books make no sense at all.

Divine Insight
Savant

Re: my religiophilosphic view

Post #11

Post by Divine Insight »

jaysus wrote: well I don't rule out potentially a sort of god or gods whatever that is, could exist of course thats a reasonable and open approach, but I could not without evidence say no god can possibly exist

i rule out the bible based religious gods mostly of a sort of human invention, most of these types of gods seem implausible and manufactured by imagination
Instead of trying to search for a label to pin on yourself a better approach might be to simply consider all the possibilities. And also consider how you think of this.

More than one label may actually apply. ;)

For example, like you I am a hardcore atheist when it comes to jealous-god religions like the Bible or any of the Abrahamic religions. I am totally convinced that they cannot possibly be true verbatim as they are described in their myths. If they contain any mystical or spiritual truths at all it's very sketchy and basically lost among the myriad of contradictions and obviously falsehoods of those myths.

So I think it reasonable and meaningful to say that I'm a "Abrahamic Atheist".

However, I'm also agnostic (i.e. without knowledge) of the true nature of reality. There may or may not be a mystical or spiritual essence to reality.

To make matters for more interesting I'm also an intuitive mystic. In other words, in a pure intuitive level I simply feel that there is something more going on in life than meets the eye.

With this in mind I searched for religions and mystical philosophies that match my intuition. I found Buddhism which contained a lot of elements that match my intuition but not precisely enough to cause me to embrace it fully. Although I still see a lot of value in various Buddhist philosophies and traditions.

Then I learned of Taoism and found a philosophy that far better matches my innate intuition. So I tend to believe that it has the most plausibility.

From there I was introduced to "Solitary Wicca" which I enjoy very much. I don't really view Wicca as a philosophy, but rather as a psychic paradigm that can be useful in supporting other philosophies (like Taoism) in a practical and useful way.

So I have more labels to play with such as Taoist Wicca. Or Taoist Witch. ;)

I still remain intellectually agnostic. In other words, I confess that on a pure technical level I cannot prove Taoism nor disprove secularism.

Finally, I came to the profound realization that even a pure secular reality would indeed be a mystery. And thus a secular reality would be mystical. Because that's what mystical basically means, it means that life is an unsolvable mystery.

So clearly I'm a mystic no matter what. Whether secularism is true or there is some sort of spiritual essence to reality, both of these states of reality are mystical. They are also equally absurd, IMHO.

In other words, it doesn't really matter what the truth of reality is, reality is illogical and absurd no matter what.

The fact that anything exists at all is illogical. And this is true whether it is a purely physical world that popped into existence from nowhere, or the result of some eternal being that never had a beginning. Both of these are equally absurd. Neither one represents a more logical answer to the question.

Because of this, secularism and spirituality are equally mystical.

So one label you can be confident about is that you are indeed a mystic no matter where you stand. ;)
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Burninglight
Guru

Re: my religiophilosphic view

Post #12

Post by Burninglight »

Divine Insight wrote:
jaysus wrote: well I don't rule out potentially a sort of god or gods whatever that is, could exist of course thats a reasonable and open approach, but I could not without evidence say no god can possibly exist

i rule out the bible based religious gods mostly of a sort of human invention, most of these types of gods seem implausible and manufactured by imagination
Instead of trying to search for a label to pin on yourself a better approach might be to simply consider all the possibilities. And also consider how you think of this.

More than one label may actually apply. ;)

For example, like you I am a hardcore atheist when it comes to jealous-god religions like the Bible or any of the Abrahamic religions. I am totally convinced that they cannot possibly be true verbatim as they are described in their myths. If they contain any mystical or spiritual truths at all it's very sketchy and basically lost among the myriad of contradictions and obviously falsehoods of those myths.

So I think it reasonable and meaningful to say that I'm a "Abrahamic Atheist".

However, I'm also agnostic (i.e. without knowledge) of the true nature of reality. There may or may not be a mystical or spiritual essence to reality.

To make matters for more interesting I'm also an intuitive mystic. In other words, in a pure intuitive level I simply feel that there is something more going on in life than meets the eye.

With this in mind I searched for religions and mystical philosophies that match my intuition. I found Buddhism which contained a lot of elements that match my intuition but not precisely enough to cause me to embrace it fully. Although I still see a lot of value in various Buddhist philosophies and traditions.

Then I learned of Taoism and found a philosophy that far better matches my innate intuition. So I tend to believe that it has the most plausibility.

From there I was introduced to "Solitary Wicca" which I enjoy very much. I don't really view Wicca as a philosophy, but rather as a psychic paradigm that can be useful in supporting other philosophies (like Taoism) in a practical and useful way.

So I have more labels to play with such as Taoist Wicca. Or Taoist Witch. ;)

I still remain intellectually agnostic. In other words, I confess that on a pure technical level I cannot prove Taoism nor disprove secularism.

Finally, I came to the profound realization that even a pure secular reality would indeed be a mystery. And thus a secular reality would be mystical. Because that's what mystical basically means, it means that life is an unsolvable mystery.

So clearly I'm a mystic no matter what. Whether secularism is true or there is some sort of spiritual essence to reality, both of these states of reality are mystical. They are also equally absurd, IMHO.

In other words, it doesn't really matter what the truth of reality is, reality is illogical and absurd no matter what.

The fact that anything exists at all is illogical. And this is true whether it is a purely physical world that popped into existence from nowhere, or the result of some eternal being that never had a beginning. Both of these are equally absurd. Neither one represents a more logical answer to the question.

Because of this, secularism and spirituality are equally mystical.

So one label you can be confident about is that you are indeed a mystic no matter where you stand. ;)
The fact that something exists now means something or someone always existed and that there are absolutes. Whether someone finds it illogical and mystical or not is irrelevant to the absolute certainty that someone or something always existed absolutely.

Burninglight
Guru

Post #13

Post by Burninglight »

If someone always existed, then I am compelled to look at Jesus "the word of God incarnate" because He is what dominated from the beginning of the foundations of the earth to date.

Have you not heard and have you not been told? The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof. We are like grasshoppers; for heaven is His throne and the earth is His footstool.

If someone always existed as we have established, that someone has made know to us about Him through the Bible with historical evidence, eye witness accounts, and archeological proof that it is a true account. It is His story (History)

ndf8th
Sage

Post #14

Post by ndf8th »

jaysus what did you decide on then? I'm eager to know.

Dogmatic agnosticism? I did not even know such existed.
Atheists has told me that the only agnostics they know about
are agnostic theists or agnostic atheists.

so a Dogmatic Agnostic is in reality one of these two :)