Questions for a Muslim (1)

Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

hmallen
Student

Questions for a Muslim (1)

Post #1

Post by hmallen »

I am a Christian with little understanding of the Muslim faith. Therefore i have set up this forum, to ask some questions (and allow others to do the same) of which i would like an answer too. With no agenda other than to understand some of the complexities the faith entails, i am hoping to learn more about Islam, its strengths and weakness.POSTS NO MORE THAN 1000 WORDS PLEASE. If you feel like you still need to elaborate, refer me to another source to explain the issue further. (like a website)If they are longer, they will be deleted.

hmallen
Student

How is the typical Muslim to view and interpret the bible?

Post #2

Post by hmallen »

How is the typical Muslim to view and interpret the bible?

Especially in regards to who the person of Jesus was?
Do you consider the Qur'an to be more reliable in its understanding of the identity of Jesus, despite being written hundreds of years after his ministry? Especially given that it contradicts the accounts of those who knew him personally?
On an historical opinion of Jesus, if you were to approach the Qur'an historically, and not spiritually (i accept this is difficult), would it be fair to conclude that the gospels surely would be more historical than the Qur'an, as they were written closer to the time of Jesus' life by people who interacted with him, or knew those who interacted with him?

Burninglight
Guru

Re: How is the typical Muslim to view and interpret the bibl

Post #3

Post by Burninglight »

hmallen wrote: How is the typical Muslim to view and interpret the bible?

Especially in regards to who the person of Jesus was?
Do you consider the Qur'an to be more reliable in its understanding of the identity of Jesus, despite being written hundreds of years after his ministry? Especially given that it contradicts the accounts of those who knew him personally?
On an historical opinion of Jesus, if you were to approach the Qur'an historically, and not spiritually (i accept this is difficult), would it be fair to conclude that the gospels surely would be more historical than the Qur'an, as they were written closer to the time of Jesus' life by people who interacted with him, or knew those who interacted with him?
Muslims see Jesus as a prophet. They don't believe he is the son of God although the Bible states He is. they view the Bible as corrupted and see the Koran as perfectly flawless. They believe Muhammad is the last prophet. They see Christians as ascribing partners unto God. They consider that to be shirk a grave sin. They will not admit to the fact that the second part of the shahada is an association. The shahada is one of five pillars of faith they must do to be a Muslim. It is where the confess that God/ Allah is one and Muhammad is his prophet. IMO, the association is that they must confess the name of Muhammad with Allah. They don't believe any prophet should be worshipped including Jesus. They believe Mary was a virgin that conceived Jesus through the Holy Spirit, but the Holy Spirit to Muslims is Gabriel. What else would you like to know?

hmallen
Student

Post #4

Post by hmallen »

Thank you 'Burning light' for reminding me of the muslim view of Jesus.
I would like to know some things...i would like you to answer the question i posted in my first comment. Would you accept that the bible contains more accurate historical claims about the life of Jesus than the qur'an? And when i say historical, i mean that it has better evidence to be approached as a historically accurate text which far exceeds that of the qu'ran.
My question is, if you accept the question above, how do you reconcile believing in something, that is less historically accurate or convincing, than the alternative which is more historical (being the bible)?

I am reiterating my points:
would it be fair to conclude that the gospels surely would be more historical than the Qur'an, as they were written closer to the time of Jesus' life by people who interacted with him, or knew those who interacted with him?
My question really is...how

HaLi8993
Guru

Post #5

Post by HaLi8993 »

@ hmallen

As Muslims we believe that the original unaltered Gospel was from God and the current day bibles have been changed and corrupted by man. God Himself describes exactly who Jesus (peace be upon him) is in the Quran which is the religion in which God chose for all of mankind revealed to the seal of the Prophets, Muhammad (may the peace and blessings of God be upon him). Furthermore the Quran was a revelation from God, hence revelation from God is the ultimate truth, to suggest that the Quran is not reliable as it was revealed after the original Gospel does not suggest it's inaccuracy, moreover to suggest such a thing would mean that you would be questioning God's All-Knowing ability. Looking at the facts and comparing the current day bibles to that of the Quran in order to see the contradictions that are found in the bible which claim to know who Jesus (peace be upon him) really was will ideally give you the answers to your questions. The Bible contains many historical errors, which cannot be explained or answered but in the voice of mythology. The New Testament is filled with events that never actually took place. Hence I suggest a critical analysis of the current day bibles, with the question "who are the real authors of the bible".