If you read the Quran, why didn't you believe in it?

Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

happy forever
Apprentice

If you read the Quran, why didn't you believe in it?

Post #1

Post by happy forever »

The Quran is the book of Allah for all humanity, it's Ayats are mercy and guidance.
If you really read it, how didn't you believe in it?

mms20102
Scholar

Post #61

Post by mms20102 »

[Replying to Divine Insight]

To make the long story short.
1- In case you believe there is a god then you get to debate if Quran is a god sent Text.

2- Quran was sent in Arabic because when god sends a messenger he sends him with revelation in his language and assuming god don't know our language then how he spoke to Adam and Abraham and Moses and Jesus and Mohammed.

3- Quran can be translated to other languages but it needs some more explanation and will not match the original text and the same thing happened to the bible when translated and people were misled by bad translations so in general if you want to study Quran you need to study the language

4- Some words can't be translated accurately for example ( الرحمن و الرحيم) both can have the same meaning in English but it has close meaning in Arabic

mms20102
Scholar

Re: If you read the Quran, why didn't you believe in it?

Post #62

Post by mms20102 »

[Replying to post 2 by McCulloch]

And what is supposed to impress you in any text ?

Dimmesdale
Sage

Re: If you read the Quran, why didn't you believe in it?

Post #63

Post by Dimmesdale »

[Replying to post 1 by happy forever]

I have tried to read the Qu'ran, but honestly, I could not make any sense of it. I could not derive anything really meaningful from it.

Perhaps I could try again but, a lot of much more educated people have come to similar conclusions.....

Arthur Schopenhauer:

"Consider the Koran, for example; this wretched book was sufficient to start a world-religion, to satisfy the metaphysical need for countless millions for twelve hundred years, to become the basis of their morality and of a remarkable contempt for death, and also to inspire them to bloody wars and the most extensive conquests. In this book we find the saddest and poorest form of theism. Much may be lost in translation, but I have not been able to discover in it one single idea of value. Such things show that the capacity for metaphysics does not go hand in hand with the need for it . . . ."

Pretty harsh, but I have to concur with this assessment from the few things I've gathered....

elphidium55
Student

Unbelievable Book

Post #64

Post by elphidium55 »

The Quran is the book of Allah for all humanity, it's Ayats are mercy and guidance.
If you really read it, how didn't you believe in it?

I don't believe it (ie. the Quran) because it's not believable. Why not. For the same reason that Christianity and Judaism's holy books are not believable: these books posit a supernatural order which doesn't exist ruled over by gods who, if they did exist, would be unworthy of worship.