Do All Religions come from a Single Creator?

Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #1

Post by McCulloch »

TheTruth101 wrote:
McCulloch wrote: God's Continuing Revelations:
  1. New Testament
  2. Qu'ran
  3. Mormon
  4. Science and Health
  5. Swedenborg
  6. Watchtower
  7. Guru Granth Sahib
  8. Kitáb-i-Aqdas
Why choose one over the others?

Indeed a true spiritualist knows of all books of all religions and have mastered them. (Since all religions come from a single creator).

The reason one sticks with one "holy book" is because its hard to even "master" a single holy book. If you can then I suggest you move on and more power to ya.
Do All Religions come from a Single Creator? How about the ones specifically referred to by this list of scriptures: Christianity, Islam, the Mormon variant of Christianity, Christian Science, Swedenborgism, the Jehovah's Witnesses' variant of Christianity, Sikhism and Bahá'í Faith. Is it logically possible that each of these could be from a Single Creator?

If all of these religions are from a Single Creator, then does it matter which one we choose to follow? Are Deism, Unitarian Universalism and the FSM also from the same God?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

olavisjo
Site Supporter

Re: Do All Religions come from a Single Creator?

Post #2

Post by olavisjo »

McCulloch wrote:
In my opinion; all seekers of truth will find the God of truth, they just sludge through a lot of error along the way.
Last edited by olavisjo on Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I believe in no religion. There is absolutely no proof for any of them, and from a philosophical standpoint Christianity is not even the best. All religions, that is, all mythologies to give them their proper name, are merely man’s own invention..."

C.S. Lewis

Choir Loft
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by Choir Loft »

McCulloch wrote:
TheTruth101 wrote:
  1. New Testament
  2. Qu'ran
  3. Mormon
  4. Science and Health
  5. Swedenborg
  6. Watchtower
  7. Guru Granth Sahib
  8. Kitáb-i-Aqdas

Indeed a true spiritualist knows of all books of all religions and have mastered them. (Since all religions come from a single creator).

The reason one sticks with one "holy book" is because its hard to even "master" a single holy book. If you can then I suggest you move on and more power to ya.
Do All Religions come from a Single Creator? How about the ones specifically referred to by this list of scriptures: Christianity, Islam, the Mormon variant of Christianity, Christian Science, Swedenborgism, the Jehovah's Witnesses' variant of Christianity, Sikhism and Bahá'í Faith. Is it logically possible that each of these could be from a Single Creator?

If all of these religions are from a Single Creator, then does it matter which one we choose to follow? Are Deism, Unitarian Universalism and the FSM also from the same God?
"Truth is that which conforms to what is."

It is an impossibility for all religions to have their source in one God.

Truth is the tool we use to discover the nature of the world. It's also the best tool we have to discover the nature of religion and God.
One of the qualities of truth is that it's exclusive. Nothing that is false can be true.

Every religion claims to be true.
In establishing this claim, each religion thus becomes exclusive.
Each religion denies every other religion is true.
Therefore all religions cannot be true.

Some, like the Bahai Faith, try to fog the issue by claiming they include all religions.
This is a logical impossiblity because if most religions claim exclusivity they cannot be included.

It therefore follows that if God is true and if God is a source of religion, there can be only one religion that is true.
The true religion would in turn exclude all the rest.

The opposite is also correct.
All religions do not have their source in God because they cannot all be true.
Only one religion can be true because all religions exclude each other.

Does it matter which religion one chooses to follow?

It matters a great deal.
If one wishes to know the truth about God by means of religion, then one must choose wisely for only one true religion can point the way.
Only the true religion can teach the truth about the true God.

But which one is the true religion? How can we discover the correct path to follow?

There are three methods, philosophies or tools which can be employed to examine religion; thinking, feeling and doing.

Thinking implies meditation, cogitation, mental discipline and prayer. Some religions state that this is the true way to enlightenment.

Feeling implies experience, physical flagellation, denial of the flesh or even the use of drugs to obtain enlightenment.

Doing implies rules, physical actions, strict moral codes defined by the group even war to obtain enlightenment and paradise.

Some religions like Hindi employ a combination of all three.

The founders of all religions are said to be teachers, great sages of wisdom, perhaps even those who are spiritually gifted with messages from beyond the natural elements.

Only one religion has a leader that was all of these and claimed to be something more.

In every religion except one, the leader or founder can theoretically be removed from the equation and the religion will remain intact. A completely different person could have arisen to advance the cause. The religions philosophy will not suffer for lack of that specific leader.
Only one religion has a leader that is the central core of its belief system. If this person were removed the religion would not stand. If that person had not come on the scene the religion would never have begun.

The one religion I speak of is Christianity.

If Jesus were removed from the faith, the religion would not stand. This is unique. It's the only religion like it.
Every religion has great teachers. Some have great spiritual prophets but only one has a leader that claims to be the Son of God. Again unique.
All religions claim to be the way to spiritual enlightenment, the way to God. Jesus said that He was the way. Unique among the faiths of the world.
All religions claim to know something of God. Jesus said He is God. No other religious leader ever made such a claim.

Jesus performed miraculous hearings, raised the dead including Himself, and His followers claim He is with them to this day.
No other religion makes these claims. No other leader in human history has ever said or done the things Jesus did.
Christianity is unique because Jesus is unique. Whatever else one may say about the man, He was one of a kind.

One is therefore forced into a conclusion about this Jesus called Christ.
Either He was a lunatic or He was a liar or He is exactly who He says He is - the only Son of the living God.

Bear in mind that the truth is exclusive. If indeed Christianity is the one true faith, then it must of necessity be exclusive of all others.

It matters a great deal which religion one follows or adopts.
Not all religions come from God and only one of them can be true.

The problem with the truth is that once discovered it requires an honest man to follow it.

This is why many would rather play at religion than be devoted to it.

And this is the nature of what the Bible calls sin. Man would rather be a god unto Himself than follow the true God.

You have one choice to make.
Seek the light of truth and follow it to its logical end,
or go your own way and hide in the shadows of your mind until the ultimate darkness takes you.

"You take the blue pill -- the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill -- you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes."

- Morpheus
THE MATRIX

Choose wisely pilgrim.

It's just me, hollering from the choir loft...
R.I.P. AMERICAN REPUBLIC
[June 21, 1788 - October 26, 2001]

- Here lies Liberty -
Born in the spring,
died in the fall.
Stabbed in the back,
forsaken by all.

YahDough
Under Probation

Post #4

Post by YahDough »

[Replying to post 1 by McCulloch]

Yes- I do believe so.

It's just a matter of getting the facts (aka- truth) about the Creator straight.

ReligionSlayer
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by ReligionSlayer »

olavisjo wrote: .
McCulloch wrote:
In my opinion; all seekers of truth will find the God of truth, they just sludge through a lot of error along the way.

How do you know this?

still_learning

Post #6

Post by still_learning »

richardP wrote:
McCulloch wrote:
TheTruth101 wrote:
  1. New Testament
  2. Qu'ran
  3. Mormon
  4. Science and Health
  5. Swedenborg
  6. Watchtower
  7. Guru Granth Sahib
  8. Kitáb-i-Aqdas

"Truth is that which conforms to what is."

It is an impossibility for all religions to have their source in one God.

Truth is the tool we use to discover the nature of the world. It's also the best tool we have to discover the nature of religion and God.
One of the qualities of truth is that it's exclusive. Nothing that is false can be true.

Every religion claims to be true.
In establishing this claim, each religion thus becomes exclusive.
Each religion denies every other religion is true.
Therefore all religions cannot be true.

Some, like the Bahai Faith, try to fog the issue by claiming they include all religions.
This is a logical impossiblity because if most religions claim exclusivity they cannot be included.

It therefore follows that if God is true and if God is a source of religion, there can be only one religion that is true.
The true religion would in turn exclude all the rest.

The opposite is also correct.
All religions do not have their source in God because they cannot all be true.
Only one religion can be true because all religions exclude each other.

Does it matter which religion one chooses to follow?

It matters a great deal.
If one wishes to know the truth about God by means of religion, then one must choose wisely for only one true religion can point the way.
Only the true religion can teach the truth about the true God.

But which one is the true religion? How can we discover the correct path to follow?

There are three methods, philosophies or tools which can be employed to examine religion; thinking, feeling and doing.

Thinking implies meditation, cogitation, mental discipline and prayer. Some religions state that this is the true way to enlightenment.

Feeling implies experience, physical flagellation, denial of the flesh or even the use of drugs to obtain enlightenment.

Doing implies rules, physical actions, strict moral codes defined by the group even war to obtain enlightenment and paradise.

Some religions like Hindi employ a combination of all three.

The founders of all religions are said to be teachers, great sages of wisdom, perhaps even those who are spiritually gifted with messages from beyond the natural elements.

Only one religion has a leader that was all of these and claimed to be something more.

In every religion except one, the leader or founder can theoretically be removed from the equation and the religion will remain intact. A completely different person could have arisen to advance the cause. The religions philosophy will not suffer for lack of that specific leader.
Only one religion has a leader that is the central core of its belief system. If this person were removed the religion would not stand. If that person had not come on the scene the religion would never have begun.

The one religion I speak of is Christianity.

If Jesus were removed from the faith, the religion would not stand. This is unique. It's the only religion like it.
Every religion has great teachers. Some have great spiritual prophets but only one has a leader that claims to be the Son of God. Again unique.
All religions claim to be the way to spiritual enlightenment, the way to God. Jesus said that He was the way. Unique among the faiths of the world.
All religions claim to know something of God. Jesus said He is God. No other religious leader ever made such a claim.

Jesus performed miraculous hearings, raised the dead including Himself, and His followers claim He is with them to this day.
No other religion makes these claims. No other leader in human history has ever said or done the things Jesus did.
Christianity is unique because Jesus is unique. Whatever else one may say about the man, He was one of a kind.
The Baha'i Faith doesn't exactly "include" all religions -- I think that is the Unitarians. Baha'u'llah said that all the religions were sent by God. Each was sent at the time and place it was most needed, and, like a prescription from your doctor, was the exact medicine needed. This is one reason why there are discrepancies. Another is that every time God sends a Messenger, we (humans in general) decide we have to interpret and modify the message -- often into a form that is hard to recognize as the original message. This is why there are so many (approximately 34,000) sects of Christianity -- disagreements over interpretation and practice. That doesn't mean Christianity was wrong.

Most religions make a claim of exclusivity. I think this is because at the time and place they appeared, they were the only way. It's a way of saying, "This is the medicine to fix the illness you have now."

CHRISTIANITY, John 14:6
1. I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the
Father except through Me.

BUDDHISM, Dhammapada 20:274
2. This is the path. There is no other that leads to vision.

ISLAM, Imam'Ali, Hadith
3. Whoso seeks guidence elsewhere, God will lead him astray.

BAHA'I, Tablets of Baha'u'llah, P.169
4. He that hath Me not is bereft of all things. Turn ye away from
all that is on earth and seek none else but Me.

HINDUISM, Bhagavad Gita 18:66
5. Abandoning all duties, come to Me alone for shelter.

ZOROASTRIANISM, The Teachings of the Magi, P.22
6. There is only one religious way. This one way is that of good thoughts, good words, and good deeds, the way of heaven, of light and of purity, of the infinite Creator.

Oh, BTW -- Hindi is a language. The religion is Hinduism.

bluethread
Savant

Post #7

Post by bluethread »

McCulloch wrote:

You appear to be framing the question, as if man did not exist. If Eli Whitney established the principle of interchangable parts, why is it so hard to get a part for a 1945 Holden Roadster or more to the point why are there so many makes and models of cars anyway? Henry Ford originally said, "Any customer can have a car painted any color that he wants so long as it is black". However, the customer demanded variety. Some followed the Ford/Fisher model, others went with radically different designs. So, it is with the philosophies of men. Man is very good at adapting things fit his own comfort and convenience.

kayky
Prodigy

Post #8

Post by kayky »

No religion comes from God. All religions are human attempts to understand God.

still_learning

Post #9

Post by still_learning »

kayky wrote: No religion comes from God. All religions are human attempts to understand God.
If God exists (and I believe He does), then wouldn't He want us to know Him? If He wants us to know Him, would He not provide ways for us to learn more of Him? For this reason, I believe religions come from God -- they are God's attempts to communicate with us, to provide us with guidance. Otherwise, we are handicapped by our own limitations in our attempts to understand One who is infinitely greater than we are. If God loves us, why wouldn't He help us?

kayky
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by kayky »

[Replying to post 9 by still_learning]

At the core of who we really are we already know God. God is in constant communication with us and does not need to devise special means to do so. We are the ones who have raised the barriers. At our core, we know this. That's why we invent religions and other means to bring that knowledge back to the surface.