Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

playhavock
Guru

We are all skeptical about something, why I am a skeptic

Post #1

Post by playhavock »

We are all skeptical about something.

If someone you did not know said "I love you" you might be skeptical of this statment.

Free car! And small print should make one very skeptical.

Thousands of scams exist that pray upon the idea that, for a moment, you will forget your skeptisem and fall for the scam.

So, then - to be skeptical meens to be unsure, to require an investagation into the claim being made, that we should expect the person making the claim to offer reasionable proof that it is true.

When people do not offer this, we should be skeptical of it.

This is why I am a skeptic, because I am not sure of claims made by people about meny things, be it the supernatural, the paranormal, aliens, conspeircy theroys, and anything that has no way to test it, to messure it, to analise it, addonaly things that have no logical augment for it, or pour logical augments for it, those things I am skeptical of, I will not just "belive" it because it sounds good, I do not want to be fooled, I do not want to belive, I want to know I hold the truth.

Some object, saying that I am not skeptical of all things, and that is not what skeptisem is - no where is it true that I must hold skeptisem for all things, I do not have skeptisem towards reality, I do not hold it for the scientific method, the rules of logic, mathamatics, the letters of the alphabet - and other ideas that I can know are true by the proofs they offer me.

I'm sure you are skeptical of something, but that something does not nessarly include what you hold as "faith" those things are keeped away from your skeptical mind set - and I must ask WHY.

SelectThis!
Apprentice

Re: We are all skeptical about something, why I am a skeptic

Post #2

Post by SelectThis! »

Haven

Post #3

Post by Haven »

I agree. Skepticism is the foundation of my epistemology: I doubt unproven claims until sufficient evidence for them is presented. Religious claims fall into that category, and since sufficient evidence for them has not been put forth, I disbelieve them.

Haven

Post #4

Post by Haven »

I agree. Skepticism is the foundation of my epistemology: I doubt unproven claims until sufficient evidence for them is presented. Religious claims fall into that category, and since sufficient evidence for them has not been put forth, I disbelieve them.