Ecumenism for All - The World Communion of Religiousness

Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Post #1

Post by Aetixintro »

The widest version of Ecumenism of all whitelist/decent Religions is to be recommended.

Some premises:
1. One is generous about the social issues, some people have troubles living in poor India and so on.

2. One skip some detalis such as kosher kitchen and halal meet and stay with core ethics (of Humanism) and preserve the understanding of grandness that's nicely entailed in all these religions, God as creator of all in the Universe, poss. of Nirvana, a good nod to reincarnation, the rest that's impossible to prove and most certainly not worthy to kill for or go harms way over.

3. One is open about one's own religion and displays openness the other way to, to learn other people's religions, not necessarily to shun one's own or try to be dominating, but merely to listen in and willing to peacefully impart from one's own Holy Book, whether the Bible, Torah, Quran or the others.

Good?

My suspicion: We have now entered World Communion of Religiousness forever and with emotional awareness ("telepathy" to be cautious) this is just the best glitz EVER!

Reverend Richard
Scholar

Re: Ecumenism for All - The World Communion of Religiousness

Post #2

Post by Reverend Richard »

Aetixintro wrote: The widest version of Ecumenism of all whitelist/decent Religions is to be recommended.

Some premises:
1. One is generous about the social issues, some people have troubles living in poor India and so on.

2. One skip some detalis such as kosher kitchen and halal meet and stay with core ethics (of Humanism) and preserve the understanding of grandness that's nicely entailed in all these religions, God as creator of all in the Universe, poss. of Nirvana, a good nod to reincarnation, the rest that's impossible to prove and most certainly not worthy to kill for or go harms way over.

3. One is open about one's own religion and displays openness the other way to, to learn other people's religions, not necessarily to shun one's own or try to be dominating, but merely to listen in and willing to peacefully impart from one's own Holy Book, whether the Bible, Torah, Quran or the others.

Good?

My suspicion: We have now entered World Communion of Religiousness forever and with emotional awareness ("telepathy" to be cautious) this is just the best glitz EVER!
You are aware that something similar to this already exists?

http://www.parliamentofreligions.org/index.cfm

They have been meetings since the late 1800s.
"My spirituality is not so much about finding answers as it is about finding peace by relaxing into the unknown. Not having an answer for questions about God, about science, or about life is more like an adventure. It is not something to be feared.� – Rev. Richard

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Aetixintro »

To Reverend Richard

Good. I'm not against it. No, I hold these in addition: "public education", "marketing (voicing, to win hearts and minds)" and "leadership (giving my name to, to provide direction)"!

Thanks for reply! :)

Reverend Richard
Scholar

Re: Ecumenism for All - The World Communion of Religiousness

Post #4

Aetixintro wrote: To Reverend Richard

Good. I'm not against it. No, I hold these in addition: "public education", "marketing (voicing, to win hearts and minds)" and "leadership (giving my name to, to provide direction)"!

Thanks for reply! :)
I suspect the existing organization already has all of the functional branches you mentioned. What would you do to make such an organization more successful?

It also begs the question: given the current religious polarization in the world, and to some extent in the U.S. (visa vi the conservative right/tea party), how does one overcome the fundamentalist hold on our politics?

Liberal/inclusive views (both political and religious) are already treated with disdain. That would be a big stumbling block to any push for ecumenism. I suspect that's the reason the existing Parliament of Religion is not already well known.
"My spirituality is not so much about finding answers as it is about finding peace by relaxing into the unknown. Not having an answer for questions about God, about science, or about life is more like an adventure. It is not something to be feared.� – Rev. Richard

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Aetixintro »

To Reverend Richard

First of all, the 1st Amendment protects Ecumenism beautifully:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Amen ... ution#Text .

The rest of the discussion, I leave to you and those who find this angle, by Ecumenism, interesting.

I've written my part. I'm good.

----
(Edit:) The Whitelist Religions: Judaism, Islam, Christianity, Bahai, Hinduism, Buddhism (incl. Confucianism and Shintoism), Taoism, Sikhism, Cheondoism, Scientology, etc. [Please, add the remaining yourself and make sure they comply with the decency pattern laid down by these others.]

Reverend Richard
Scholar

Post #6

Aetixintro wrote: To Reverend Richard

First of all, the 1st Amendment protects Ecumenism beautifully:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Amen ... ution#Text .

The rest of the discussion, I leave to you and those who find this angle, by Ecumenism, interesting.

I've written my part. I'm good.

----
(Edit:) The Whitelist Religions: Judaism, Islam, Christianity, Bahai, Hinduism, Buddhism (incl. Confucianism and Shintoism), Taoism, Sikhism, Cheondoism, Scientology, etc. [Please, add the remaining yourself and make sure they comply with the decency pattern laid down by these others.]
While ecumenism is "protected", it is "protected" by those who are in a position to decide what is meant by the term protected.

While I believe the U.S. Constitution protects our "freedom of religion", I wonder if it actually protects those who want "freedom from religion". For example - how likely is it that an openly avowed atheist could be elected president of the U.S.? Do you think the religious right (i.e., primarily Republicans) would stand quietly by and let it happen. I suspect that even a large number of Democrats would raise a stink.