Christmas for Non-Christians

Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

czyz
Scholar

Christmas for Non-Christians

Post #1

Post by czyz »

This thread's purpose is to share how non-Christians celebrate Christmas or the Christmas season. Christmas as we know it was founded as a pagan celebration at the winter solstice that looked forward to the end of winter.

Christianity has influenced the celebration and what we have today is an amalgamation of traditions. Christmas for me now, as a former Christian, is a time of goodwill toward others, spending time with family, building family traditions, good food, and decorations. I've begun to appreciate especially the decorations, color, and pageantry of all of it.

How do you celebrate Christmas and are there traditions you can share?
My mind is my own church--Thomas Paine

Science adjusts its view based on what is observed but faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #2

Post by Divine Insight »

I celebrate a pagan Yule which is both the secular new year beginning with the Winter Solstice. But I also celebrate the cycle of the God and Goddess. The Goddess gives birth to the new God at the winter solstice. So it's a birthday party for the newly born God too. But psychologically it really just means a new year is born. The winter solstice is actually my "New Year". It's the official astronomical new year. The New Year celebrated on January first is just a social New Year.

I enjoy the glitter of lights and stuff too. Why not? It's an artistic thing to do. ;)
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Darias
Guru

Re: Christmas for Non-Christians

Post #3

Post by Darias »

[Replying to post 1 by czyz]

I still call it Christmas, although I understand it to be a commercialized version of what was originally a pagan tradition. I usually leave my mom and sister to decorate the tree, but that's due to laziness, not atheism. I still exchange presents with family. It's a fun holiday... why not celebrate it?

I have however stopped engaging in a family tradition of communion, out of respect for them and for me. I also don't sit around and listen to the story of the birth of Jesus anymore. This usually takes place on Christmas Eve. Sometimes communion happens on New Years Eve, but usually it's just snacks and sparkling grape juice or wine.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #4

Post by OnceConvinced »

For me personally it's a time to spend with family, give gifts and eat turkey and other awesome things. No longer is Jesus part of my celebrations, although if my parents are involved (which is generally the case) they like to have their little religious ritual of a prayer before the meal - as they do before every meal. I just go along with their wishes and let them conduct their little religous ritual, then it's time to indulge!

Mmmmmm Turrrrrrkeeeeeee.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

cnorman18

Post #5

Post by cnorman18 »

My wife and I enjoy a traditional Jewish Christmas; we go out for Chinese food and then go to the movies....