Classic vs. Modern Deism

Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

ThePainefulTruth
Sage

Classic vs. Modern Deism

Post #1

Post by ThePainefulTruth »

The agents of modern deism are spreading as deism becomes a more accepted philosophy. Nihilists and anarchists attack the lexicon because that's what they do. Thus we're loaded up with all kinds of hyphenated deism, from ceremonial-deism to (I swear to God) Christian-deism. This watering down of deism has also resulted from merely trying to appeal to a wider audience. You can only bend something so far before it breaks.

If you take the only real core tenet of deism, God being not interactive, and undermine or discard it, the word becomes worthless--as I fear some people want.

Classic Deism accepts most any philosophical possibility as long as it maintains that tenet, which I call the Prime Directive, and which narrows things down immensely. Speculating on WHY God would do that (to maintain our free will, IMNTBHO) is fine, but probably meet for another thread. There are also extensions of deism such as pandeism and panendeism, which are well and good, but they're really just speculations on top of speculations with God still being an unknown.
Truth=God

ThePainefulTruth
Sage

Post #11

Post by ThePainefulTruth »

[Replying to post 10 by Thomas123]

If there are differences between our philosophies, the belief that God does or doesn't interact is the only one that matters. That's the difference between theism and deism.

You put words in my mouth saying I advocate avoiding challenging realities. And I don't really know what it is
you're trying to defend.

Thomas123
Sage

Post #12

Post by Thomas123 »

ThePainefulTruth
"The burden we must learn to shoulder is to live with the doubt--and that burden is lightened enormously if we don't continually make up things to have doubts about."

I just thought that this statement of yours lacked a strong conviction. Is there a difference between deism and theism? Is deism a God without doctrine? I am defending nothing in particular and I feel that your approach to God is as valid as the next. You probably know that already. I have asked you enough questions.