Do you think it's wrong for people to create a religion?

Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

HansKecht

Do you think it's wrong for people to create a religion?

Post #1

Post by HansKecht »

I can't find a religion that makes sense to me, or that has enough proof to get me into it. Would it be wrong of me to make my own?

improbulos

Re: Do you think it's wrong for people to create a religion?

Post #11

Post by improbulos »

[Replying to post 1 by HansKecht]

I got one for you.

Probulism
A religions for the rest of us.

It's more deism.
and you do not worship Probulos, you respect Probulos, the god of probability.

It could be the end of atheism!

Wootah
Savant

Post #12

Post by Wootah »

From an evolutionary standpoint you should be trying to create or takeover any religions you can. If religion is simply about controlling others then how isn't that a benefit.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Neatras
Guru

Post #13

Post by Neatras »

[Replying to post 11 by Wootah]

There are advantages to creating an empathetic bond with others that does not immediately degrade into manipulation and mental gymnastics. Understanding others and attempting to create an equal, mutually accountable society or system can potentially raise your ability to survive and produce offspring. You're fine with the Machiavellian tactics to a point, but there are advantages to being a good person that being a tyrannical control freak won't offer.

Wootah
Savant

Post #14

Post by Wootah »

Neatras wrote: [Replying to post 11 by Wootah]

There are advantages to creating an empathetic bond with others that does not immediately degrade into manipulation and mental gymnastics. Understanding others and attempting to create an equal, mutually accountable society or system can potentially raise your ability to survive and produce offspring. You're fine with the Machiavellian tactics to a point, but there are advantages to being a good person that being a tyrannical control freak won't offer.
It just sounds too religious to me. Phrases like 'equal, mutually accountable society' aren't really science.

Realistically we are good because we aren't powerful enough to get away with being bad. And to the extent there is enough for everyone.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Wootah
Savant

Post #15

Post by Wootah »

Neatras wrote: [Replying to post 11 by Wootah]

It just sounds too religious to me. Phrases like 'equal, mutually accountable society' aren't really science.

Realistically we are good because we aren't powerful enough to get away with being bad. And to the extent there is enough for everyone.

Neatras
Guru

Post #16

Post by Neatras »

I don't appreciate that claim, nor do I agree with it. I don't lament my lack of power and decide that I may as well be a good person because of it. I lament my lack of ability to support and interact with others. I lament my inability to convey ideas that I believe will give others a stronger understanding of my views or character.

"Realistically" I can only submit this as a personal truth claim: I act in a way I see as "good" because that is within the ideals I set for myself. I want to be this way, and I want to do what I can to present myself as a reliable, charismatic individual. This is due to my own will, not Machiavellian tactics and subversive attempts at power schemes. If you want to make such a general claim as to why goodness exists, I implore you to opt me out of it, because I have no respect for that idea.

jerrygg38
Apprentice

Re: Do you think it's wrong for people to create a religion?

Post #17

Post by jerrygg38 »

HansKecht wrote: I can't find a religion that makes sense to me, or that has enough proof to get me into it. Would it be wrong of me to make my own?
The best religion is just man and God. There are no rules and regulations. Go to a quiet place and speak to God. Dear God....................., This is the religion of the prophets themselves. there is no priest or rabbi between you and God.That is my religion. I speak to God and some times God responds to me. I ask questions and sometimes God gives me the answer.

psychoslice
Student

Post #18

Post by psychoslice »

Divine Insight wrote: I personally feel that creating you own religion is the only way to go. ;)
Yes I agree, I myself have created my own religion, I think if we all did this and kept it to ourselves the world would be a better place.

Peppered Moth
Student

Post #19

Post by Peppered Moth »

That depends on what you mean by "religion".

People aren't necessarily the 1s to create religion.

This question is only applicable to folks who think. They can't respond as in reply, if they do not have the ability to "think".

And I don't care to discuss what is involved with "creating" a religion. Not when I'm directly addressing the OP. As in the title of the thread.

Short answer : No

Now I can't be unjustly accused of ever veering off topic.

If folks at this site don't want to be unjustly accused of veering off-topic, then they should directly answer thread OPs like me.

Donray
Guru

Post #20

Post by Donray »

People have crested EVERY religion. ALL religions are man made. Ignorant people feared death and made up an afterlife that would be better then the life they now live.

The only reason for religion now is provide the better afterlife because weak people need to believe their is something better.

This is why there are more and more atheists among the better off. It is why third world countries have more believers in an afterlife. Look at all the Muslim countries as an example.

So, go ahead an make whatever religion you want. It is the same as all religions. Made by mankind.