Do you think it's wrong for people to create a religion?

Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

HansKecht

Do you think it's wrong for people to create a religion?

Post #1

Post by HansKecht »

I can't find a religion that makes sense to me, or that has enough proof to get me into it. Would it be wrong of me to make my own?

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #2

Post by Divine Insight »

I personally feel that creating you own religion is the only way to go. ;)
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #3

Post by OnceConvinced »

Why do you need to have a religion? Many of us live quite happy and comfortable lives without the need for religious nonsense.

Of course if you want to make a fortune out of people less fortunate than you...

Seriously though, I think it's wrong to create religion. Religions are just a way to gain power, money and control.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

chevron1
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by chevron1 »

OnceConvinced wrote: Why do you need to have a religion? Many of us live quite happy and comfortable lives without the need for religious nonsense.

Of course if you want to make a fortune out of people less fortunate than you...

Seriously though, I think it's wrong to create religion. Religions are just a way to gain power, money and control.
you need to have a religion because without one people will hurt you. And they hurt in the most indirect way. they play on your insecurity about afterlife. even buddhists who have no afterlife (in most versions) are deep down insecure about afterlife. they can then be blackmailed in their deepest concern to do evil because they want to believe in something other than no reality.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #5

Post by OnceConvinced »

chevron1 wrote:
you need to have a religion because without one people will hurt you.
People can hurt you anyway even if you DO have a religion.

I live in a country that is becoming more and more atheist all the time. I have little problems with people hurting me. In fact my country is one of the safest in the world. We have no wars, no terrorism, no psycho killers, no hurricanes or destructive tornadoes, no tsunamis, no deadly animals, . Why should I be afraid?

chevron1 wrote: And they hurt in the most indirect way. they play on your insecurity about afterlife.
What insecurities about the after life? Sure is sucks to know I'm 47 years old and most likely over the half way mark of my life, but I have no insecurities. Once I'm dead I believe that will be the end.

Anyway how does having a religion help with that? I could be a Christian and I could have Muslims wanting to hurt me and telling me I'm going to Hell because I don't worship Allah! In fact if I were a Christian and went to a Muslim country I'd probably find myself in a lot of danger.
chevron1 wrote:
even buddhists who have no afterlife (in most versions) are deep down insecure about afterlife.
So what good is having a religion then if you are still insecure? I know of many Chrisitans who are insecure about the afterlife too.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

chevron1
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by chevron1 »

OnceConvinced wrote:
chevron1 wrote:

I live in a country that is becoming more and more atheist all the time. I have little problems with people hurting me. In fact my country is one of the safest in the world. We have no wars, no terrorism, no psycho killers, no hurricanes or destructive tornadoes, no tsunamis, no deadly animals, . Why should I be afraid?
but if your country has no wars or tornadoes or tsunamis or deadly animals, then (pardon the way i say this) what good is it? without some deadly animals, you are saying that your paradise has no life.

chevron1 wrote: And they hurt in the most indirect way. they play on your insecurity about afterlife.
Once I'm dead I believe that will be the end.

Anyway how does having a religion help with that? I could be a Christian and I could have Muslims wanting to hurt me and telling me I'm going to Hell because I don't worship Allah! In fact if I were a Christian and went to a Muslim country I'd probably find myself in a lot of danger.

you might find yourself in danger from muslims, but then you'd be ready to die for your time of your life. a religion helps you to be yourself when you are attacked for not being the best man in this life. then you might without religion become someone else, but with religion you'd be your best self.

chevron1 wrote:
even buddhists who have no afterlife (in most versions) are deep down insecure about afterlife.
So what good is having a religion then if you are still insecure? I know of many Chrisitans who are insecure about the afterlife too.

even without afterlife, the buddhists have some life to live.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #7

Post by OnceConvinced »

chevron1 wrote:
OnceConvinced wrote:
chevron1 wrote:

but if your country has no wars or tornadoes or tsunamis or deadly animals, then (pardon the way i say this) what good is it?
If you knew anything about New Zealand you'd know just how good it is. There is no god trying to punish us for allowing gay marriages or for becoming more and more atheist. Why would you want any of those horrible things in that list (I notice you've conveniently removed some of ones I listed)
Elijah John wrote: without some deadly animals, you are saying that your paradise has no life.
No, why would you think I was saying that?
chevron1 wrote: you might find yourself in danger from muslims, but then you'd be ready to die for your time of your life.
No, I would be ready to fight for my life.
chevron1 wrote: a religion helps you to be yourself when you are attacked for not being the best man in this life. then you might without religion become someone else, but with religion you'd be your best self.
I have no clue what you're trying to say here. I can be the best self I can be without religion. I do not need a god with a big stick to get me to be my best self. It's far more moral to be moral without having a god with a big stick over you.

sorry but I see no benefits in being religious except for perhaps comfortable delusions.

chevron1 wrote:
even without afterlife, the buddhists have some life to live.
Without religion I have a great life. I am making more use of the life that i have as an atheist than as I did as a Christian and life is so much better. I have purpose and I don't need religion for that.

chevron1
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by chevron1 »

OnceConvinced wrote: Without religion I have a great life. I am making more use of the life that i have as an atheist than as I did as a Christian and life is so much better. I have purpose and I don't need religion for that.

the buddhists have no life of the two lives in the one life.

Wootah
Savant

Post #9

Post by Wootah »

OnceConvinced wrote: Why do you need to have a religion? Many of us live quite happy and comfortable lives without the need for religious nonsense.

But isn't that the point: power, money and control?

If you aren't following those objectives is it because you can't?

How can I discern your rejection of that question as true as opposed to the fact that those goals are too hard for you?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Dropship
Under Probation

Re: Do you think it's wrong for people to create a religion?

Post #10

Post by Dropship »

HansKecht wrote: I can't find a religion that makes sense to me, or that has enough proof to get me into it. Would it be wrong of me to make my own?
Go for it, just do some of that miracle stuff and we'll all buy your books and videos..:)