Atheists

Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

Faithful One
Guru

Atheists

Post #1

Post by Faithful One »

Seems the online community of atheist outnumbers the Christian online community , when it comes to discussing religion . This has been my personal experience for over a decade of debating with atheists. Why do you think this is , also, do you think this is a fair statement , as far as being outnumbered online?

I do not believe this is the case as far as the U.S population as a whole goes , meaning more believe in God, or some type of creator or God , than do not believe in some type of God , but online they seem to outnumber believers in God , or a God.

What do you think sparks this curiosity, if you feel this is a curiosity , if not please state what you think the motivation is then.
Last edited by Faithful One on Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Faithful One
Guru

Re: Atheists

Post #21

Post by Faithful One »

[Replying to post 20 by OnceConvinced]

So please don't try to tell us we need a God for our moral compass. I know for a fact that's not true. Anyone who needs a God as their moral compass is obviously not a very nice person. Obviously without God and that big stick they would be truly despicable people.
Seems you should read my post all the way through before you create your straw man arguments , or tell me what I am thinking, as you see I state that I do not equate atheism to immorality .

You took that statement out of context , that was asking if that is whet he was saying , more than a statement .

Faithful One
Guru

Post #22

Post by Faithful One »

Quote .
"So please don't try to tell us we need a God for our moral compass. I know for a fact that's not true. Anyone who needs a God as their moral compass is obviously not a very nice person. Obviously without God and that big stick they would be truly despicable people."

Seems you should read my post all the way through before you create your straw man arguments , or tell me what I am thinking, as you see I state that I do not equate atheism to immorality .

You took that statement out of context , that was asking if that is whet he was saying , more than a statement . This was the premise he created , I was just making sure of whet he meant , nothing more,, nor a judgement of atheists.
[/quote]

Faithful One
Guru

Post #23

Post by Faithful One »

This is simply not true. Do you actually have any atheists that are friends? are they all immoral evil people?

My neighbor died of Lou gherigs in his forties, a few years back, he was an adamant atheist And my friend , not once did I proselytize to him , Even in his last days when they would come get us to help with emergencies , or slips or falls. I attended a funeral , that he did not want God or the after life mentioned , it was odd , the one who led the eulogy did his best not to mention God , or the after life, he seemed to have to try hard at this, he slipped once or twice ,,but honored his wishes mainly .

He was a good man . I had much respect for him ,,and would have only drew his wrath trying to save him . I knew better.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #24

Post by OnceConvinced »

Faithful One wrote:
You took that statement out of context , that was asking if that is whet he was saying , more than a statement .
If I misunderstood what you were saying, I apologize. Perhaps restructuring of your words, would have helped avoid the misunderstanding? It was a big long sentence and it looked like you were making those statements.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Faithful One
Guru

Post #25

Post by Faithful One »

[Replying to post 24 by OnceConvinced]

No worries , as long as you understand the correct context and that I am not placing judgement on atheists , as I do no judge anyone.. I could see where you could have a misunderstanding in that paragraph .

Your points have been very helpful , good for this debate .

Sammaiel

Post #26

Post by Sammaiel »

Activism is a normal reaction from minorities that feels persecuted.

When the US president is arrogant enough to publicly declare "no atheist should be considered a citizien, much less a patriot", you can call that persecution.

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #27

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

Faithful One wrote: Seems the online community of atheist outnumbers the Christian online community , when it comes to discussing religion . This has been my personal experience for over a decade of debating with atheists. Why do you think this is , also, do you think this is a fair statement , as far as being outnumbered online?

I do not believe this is the case as far as the U.S population as a whole goes , meaning more believe in God, or some type of creator or God , than do not believe in some type of God , but online they seem to outnumber believers in God , or a God.

What do you think sparks this curiosity, if you feel this is a curiosity , if not please state what you think the motivation is then.
Atheists tend to accumulate on forums such as this. Christians tend to dissipate, and sometimes rather quickly. Not all Christians certainly, but the majority. Atheists use these forums to expound on their conclusions on just why Christianity specifically, and religion in general, is nonsense. On the other hand, a forum such as this one gives Christians the perfect opportunity to not only spread the Gospel of Jesus, as well as their own deep personal conviction of just why it is all true, but to do so in front of a a built-in audience of non believers. The very individuals they should be seeking out. The trouble that Christians encounter is that their experience with preaching their beliefs invariably goes much smoother, and is vastly more satisfying and effective, when they are preaching to the choir. Preaching to a forum full of individuals who have not only reached entirely different conclusions, but who are extremely well versed and well able to voice their objections to Christian claims in great detail almost inevitably causes Christians, who have been assured their entire lives that no real alternate argument to Christianity is possible, to become frustrated, appalled, furious, and generally confused. Some seem to become slightly unhinged and end up being expelled from the forum. Many simply flee in horror at being exposed to "blasphemy" and the discovery that attempting to engage in a debate with actual atheists is an entirely different kettle of fish from dealing with the straw man atheists they debated with in their churches, or in their imaginations.
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.