Moderator: Moderators

benmaarof
Student

Gender Inequality in Islam

Post #1

Post by benmaarof »

Gender Inequality in Islam

Before marriage
To get married, Muslim men must give dowry to his future wife. The bride-to-be does not have to give him anything.

Quran 4:4 And give the women (on marriage) their dower as a free gift; but if they, of their own good pleasure, remit any part of it to you, Take it and enjoy it with right good cheer.

During marriage
During marriage, the husband must support his family. If he is able but doesn't give any money for the needs of the family, he sins. It's not true on the part of the wife. She does not have to give any financial support. Even if she can but does not, she won't sin. Even though it's part of the marriage dowry.

Quran 4:34 Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because God has given the one more (strength) than the other, and because they support them from their means. Therefore the righteous women are devoutly obedient, and guard in (the husband's) absence what God would have them guard. As to those women on whose part ye fear disloyalty and ill-conduct, admonish them (first), (Next), refuse to share their beds, (And last) beat them (lightly); but if they return to obedience, seek not against them Means (of annoyance): For God is Most High, great (above you all).

Quran, 4:19 O ye who believe! Ye are forbidden to inherit women against their will. Nor should ye treat them with harshness, that ye may take away part of the dower ye have given them, except where they have been guilty of open lewdness; on the contrary live with them on a footing of kindness and equity. If ye take a dislike to them it may be that ye dislike a thing, and God brings about through it a great deal of good.

Quran, 4:20-21 But if ye decide to take One wife in place of another, Even if ye had given the latter A whole treasure from dower, Take not the least bit of it back; Would ye take it by slander And a manifest wrong? And how could ye take it When ye have gone in Unto each other, and they have Taken from you a solemn covenant?

After marriage

If they are divorced, the ex-husband would STILL have to support his ex-wife. It's still would be basically the same as they were married, except, no sex. The ex-wife does not have to give him anything. The ex-husband that does not pay alimony is going against the command of God.

Quran 2.241 For divorced women Maintenance (should be provided) on a reasonable (scale). This is a duty on the righteous.

Is this fair?

Ryoga
Student

Post #11

Post by Ryoga »

The Persnickety Platypus wrote:
Brother, can you name any 3 chapter of the Qur'an and only one book of the Hadith? Can you just NAME them?

Your women are a tilth for you (to cultivate) so go to your tilth as ye will” (2:223)

"Men have authority over women because God has made the one superior to the other... Good women are obedient. (4)

I don't need to be a Qur'anic scholar to determine the meaning of these verses.

Dr. Zakir Naik didn't ask you to be a Qur'anic scholar.
if you just toke you're time to look for the Qur'an on the internet
you could have proved him wrong.
........but you didn't
this site is nice try it: http://www.wam.umd.edu/~stwright/rel/islam/Quran.html

and this is the correct translations of the verses that you have mentioned:

221. Do not marry unbelieving women (idolaters), until they believe: A slave woman who believes is better than an unbelieving woman, even though she allures you. Nor marry (your girls) to unbelievers until they believe: A man slave who believes is better than an unbeliever, even though he allures you. Unbelievers do (but) beckon you to the Fire. But Allah beckons by His Grace to the Garden (of bliss) and forgiveness, and makes His Signs clear to mankind: That they may celebrate His praise.

222. They ask thee concerning women's courses. Say: They are a hurt and a pollution: So keep away from women in their courses, and do not approach them until they are clean. But when they have purified themselves, ye may approach them in any manner, time, or place ordained for you by Allah. For Allah loves those who turn to Him constantly and He loves those who keep themselves pure and clean.

223. Your wives are as a tilth unto you; so approach your tilth when or how ye will; but do some good act for your souls beforehand; and fear Allah. And know that ye are to meet Him (in the Hereafter), and give (these) good tidings to those who believe. (Surah2.The Cow)

34. Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allah has given the one more (strength) than the other, and because they support them from their means. Therefore the righteous women are devoutly obedient, and guard in (the husband's) absence what Allah would have them guard.(Surah4. Women)

Dr. Zakir Naik
Student

Post #12

Post by Dr. Zakir Naik »

The Persnickety Platypus wrote:
Your women are a tilth for you (to cultivate) so go to your tilth as ye will” (2:223)

"Men have authority over women because God has made the one superior to the other... Good women are obedient. (4)
With apologies to all the Christian brothers and sisters, just one quotation from the bible to reply to my respected brothers question. I’m giving one Just as a sample brother:

Birth of females a DOUBLE pollution (In the sight of those who are most active in fighting for women rights?!?)

Who says that? The bible says that, its mentioned in the bible, in the book of Leviticus, ch 12, verses 1,2,5.

Brother, without research, please don’t make an image of anything. Like I said, its really necessary to have some knowledge of something before trying to make an opinion about it.

Regarding the verse you've quoted.

The verse you are reffering to is from Surah Baqarah, Chapter No. 2, verse 228.

And what you've written is a mis-trasnlation, your chrsitian missionaries are very good at playing with the translation, just like they did with the bible. As translated by Abdullah Yusuf Ali, whose work is supposed to be the most standard work, reads as under:

The verse, Surah Baqarah, Ch 2, Verses 228 says: ‘And Women shall have rights, similar to the rights against them, according to what is equitable, but men have a degree of advantage over them’.

Now, now tell me what's wrong with this verse?

I would like you to bear in mind, every word of this Verse - It has unequivocally being declared, that men and women have similar rights against each other.

These words… this part of the verse has no where been diluted anywhere in the Qur’an, however the verse further says that men have a degree of advantage over women.

It is really these words which we have to be… we have to be sure about, because it is here that most of the people have faltered, and even some of the commentators have misconceived these words.

But at the outset I would like to tell you, that these words have nothing to do with the rights between the parties…

In order to fully appreciate this Verse, these words namely that… ‘Men have a degree of advantage over women’, we will have to refer also to another Verse - Verse No. 34, Chapter 4, Surah Nisa.

It reads… its translation reads as under… ‘Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allah has given the one (more) into bracket (strength) bracket close than the other, and because they support them for their means’.

This Verse again lays down that… ‘Men are the protectors and maintainers of women’.

It further says that… ‘God has given one more than the other’.

Admittedly, a woman is a weaker sex and she has got to be given special protection in certain matters.
Anthropologically, man is stronger and also different, which is also a biological truth.
No doubt nature has given him this advantage, for which no credit goes to man, and no discredit to women on that account - But I would like to tell you that this advantage, is also being given to men in order, so that he is.. he is able to effectively discharge his functions.
Honorees task has been cast on him, that of a protector and maintainer and therefore this advantage which has been given to him, has nothing to do with the rights, as I have already said earlier.
In fact this advantage, in no way reduces the rights of women … nor it, her importance.

Therefore the real question that would arise, would be… I would request you to ponder over, and think about the state of affair, in the social set up today.
According to me, this is one of the most important and delicate function of the men… to give protection to women.
It is in a very… you see, in a very deep sense, which has to be understood - It is not wholly an ordinary protection, in the sense of saving one’s life - Please try to understand and appreciate.
I would request you to… to think over, whether men are discharging their functions… and if you closely examine, I have no doubt, you will come to this conclusion, that men have abdicated their most important function… that of giving protection to women, and therefore have neglected their… their elementary duty.
I do not want to enter into a dialogue or a debate at this time, because there is no time at my at my disposal, as to who is responsible for bringing about this tragic situation.
May be that women may… may have also been responsible for this… bringing about this situation.
But the fact remains, that this has exposed women to forces of crime and oppression, leading to widespread cases of violation of her honour and dignity.

I can give a whole talk just on this verse.

And regarding the first question, that women (wife) are tilth for you. But for the exact answer, you have to refer to the previous verse, Surah Baqarah, Ch 2, Verse 222, and then come to 223. Verse number 222 quotes, that 'when they ask thee concerning menstural periods, ‘When they ask thee concerning menstrual periods’, I’m quoting the Qur’an you can check it out. Surah Baqarah Ch 2, Verse 222, ‘When they ask thee concerning menstrual periods, tell them, it’s a hurt and pollution, so do not approach your wife during the period, approach them after they are clean.’

And any doctor will tell you, that if you have intercourse during menstrual period, it will hurt the wife and besides that, it will cause certain diseases, it will be harmful for the wife, as well as for the husband. So Qur'an is very scientifically based telling ‘Don’t approach your wife, when during the menstrual courses’, and then the verse continues, the next verse, Surah Baqarah, Ch 2, Verse 223, that ‘You wife are like the tilth, approach your tilth, when you like, and approach them in the way Allah has ordered you.’ So Qur'an is saying, don’t approach them during the menstrual period, other wise, you have to be good to them, when ever you like, you can approach them, when ever they like, they can approach you. So what’s the harm in that? It’s just a misquote, as though women are like property. This verse is like with the earlier verse talking about should wife be approached during the menstrual periods. So the Qur'an says no, it’s a hurt and pollution for both, hope I answered the question brother.

Women in my country have (almost) equal working opportunities. They are free to work, do, and act in whatever manner suits them best. In the western world, many females have surpassed their male contemporaries in both politics and industry, proving the "women are ill-suited for jobs outside the kitchen" mentality that Islam has adoped to be complete bunk.
Do you know brother, that Islam is ‘the’ fastest growing religion on the face of the earth. And among those who are accepting Islam, 67% are women.

Western society falsely claims to have uplifted women. Western talk of women’s liberalization is nothing but a disguised form of exploitation of her body, degradation of her soul, and deprivation of her honor. Western society claims to have ‘uplifted’ women. On the contrary it has actually degraded them to the status of concubines, mistresses and society butterflies who are mere tools in the hands of pleasure seekers and sex marketers, hidden behind the colorful screen of ‘art’ and ‘culture’.

USA has one of the highest rates of rape United States of America is supposed to be one of the most advanced countries of the world. It also has one of the highest rates of rape in any country in the world. According to a FBI report, in the year 1990, every day on an average 1756 cases of rape were committed in U.S.A alone. Later another report said that on an average everyday 1900 cases of rapes are committed in USA. The year was not mentioned. May be it was 1992 or 1993. May be the Americans got ‘bolder’ in the following years.

Consider a scenario where the Islamic hijaab is followed in America. Whenever a man looks at a woman and any brazen or unashamed thought comes to his mind, he lowers his gaze. Every woman wears the Islamic hijaab, that is the complete body is covered except the face and the hands upto the wrist. After this if any man commits rape he is given capital punishment. I ask you, in such a scenario, will the rate of rape in America increase, will it remain the same, or will it decrease?

Implementation of Islamic Shariah will reduce the rate of rapes. Naturally as soon as Islamic Shariah is implemented positive results will be inevitable. If Islamic Shariah is implemented in any part of the world, whether it is America or Europe, society will breathe easier. Hijaab does not degrade a woman but uplifts a woman and protects her modesty and chastity.

The Persnickety Platypus
Guru

Post #13

Post by The Persnickety Platypus »

Birth of females a DOUBLE pollution (In the sight of those who are most active in fighting for women rights?!?)

Who says that? The bible says that, its mentioned in the bible, in the book of Leviticus, ch 12, verses 1,2,5.
Yes. But guess what? The Bible is just as wrong.

What you are forgetting however, is that the New Testament (which went a lot lighter on minority groups) soon proceeded the formentioned verses. Christians started abandoning their oppressive dogmas hundreds of years ago. It seems Muslims are a bit slower on the uptake.

Your religion has a lot of catching up to do in the field of equal rights.
Brother, without research, please don’t make an image of anything. Like I said, its really necessary to have some knowledge of something before trying to make an opinion about it.
Does the statement "Islam is sexist" really qualify as an opinion?

It is a well accepted and widely proclaimed FACT amoung most conservative Muslims.

Muslims have been decrying equal rights for thousands of years. Since when did the Quran suddenly decide that discrimination is wrong? Since liberal translators started to change the meanings of oppressive verses. You two seem to be moving along that line of thought. I commend you. Please continue in the movement to free society from this harmful bigotry.
The verse, Surah Baqarah, Ch 2, Verses 228 says: ‘And Women shall have rights, similar to the rights against them, according to what is equitable, but men have a degree of advantage over them’.

Now, now tell me what's wrong with this verse?
Men have a degree of advantage over them.

This line is not referring to a physical advantage. The entire verse lies under the context of personal rights. Men have an advantage over women concerning personal rights.

A definition from dictionary.com that might interest you;

Sexism-
(1) Discrimination based on gender, especially discrimination against women.
(2) Attitudes, conditions, or behaviors that promote stereotyping of social roles based on gender.
(3) discriminatory or abusive behavior towards members of the opposite sex.

All three of these definitions apply to Muslim society and the Quran. Men have an advantage over women=sexism.

Men are in charge of women, because Allah hath made the one of them to excel the other. ... (Sura 4:34)

This makes Allah sexist. By definition.
Do you know brother, that Islam is ‘the’ fastest growing religion on the face of the earth. And among those who are accepting Islam, 67% are women.
Liberal Islam, thankfully. If you have noticed, not many Hispanic Islamics are wearing viels or murdering heathens.

Traditional Islam is slowly dying, as demonstrated by the newest generation of Muslim-born youth who are rapidly adopting the standards of western culture.
Western society falsely claims to have uplifted women. Western talk of women’s liberalization is nothing but a disguised form of exploitation of her body, degradation of her soul, and deprivation of her honor. Western society claims to have ‘uplifted’ women. On the contrary it has actually degraded them to the status of concubines, mistresses and society butterflies who are mere tools in the hands of pleasure seekers and sex marketers, hidden behind the colorful screen of ‘art’ and ‘culture’.
Oh, so Middle East culture is this generation's epitomy of equal rights?

Our women can:

- Vote
- Recieve equal pay
- Run for political office
- Attend any public school
- Dress however their hearts desire
- Have equal legal representation
- Prosecute when they are raped

Tell me, what can Middle Eastern women do (besides cook and make babies)?

Do you know the last time I saw one of these? Halloween.

When women's rights groups in the west complain, it's because some girl is not allowed in a private boy's school.

When women's rights groups in hard-core Islam nations complain (that is, when they are actually allowed to complain), it is because rape is a state sanctioned right.
USA has one of the highest rates of rape
Because we actually keep track of incidents.

Have you ever tried to find rape statistics for the middle east? You can't. They don't exist.

I dare you to find more than a couple examples of Islamic rape prosecutions. Most Muslim nations do not even have clearly defined laws against rape.

At least we actually care when a woman is raped.

Aside from that, I think you will find that the US has the worst crime rates in EVERY regard. It's not a case of sexism, it's a desiese called political conservatism- the idea that being "tough on crime" automatically leads to deterrance.

For a more accurate view of crime in woman-friendly nations, look the rates in properly regulated areas; the European welfare states, for example.

The Persnickety Platypus
Guru

Post #14

221. Do not marry unbelieving women (idolaters), until they believe: A slave woman who believes is better than an unbelieving woman, even though she allures you. Nor marry (your girls) to unbelievers until they believe: A man slave who believes is better than an unbeliever, even though he allures you. Unbelievers do (but) beckon you to the Fire. But Allah beckons by His Grace to the Garden (of bliss) and forgiveness, and makes His Signs clear to mankind: That they may celebrate His praise.

222. They ask thee concerning women's courses. Say: They are a hurt and a pollution: So keep away from women in their courses, and do not approach them until they are clean. But when they have purified themselves, ye may approach them in any manner, time, or place ordained for you by Allah. For Allah loves those who turn to Him constantly and He loves those who keep themselves pure and clean.

223. Your wives are as a tilth unto you; so approach your tilth when or how ye will; but do some good act for your souls beforehand; and fear Allah. And know that ye are to meet Him (in the Hereafter), and give (these) good tidings to those who believe. (Surah2.The Cow)

34. Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allah has given the one more (strength) than the other, and because they support them from their means. Therefore the righteous women are devoutly obedient, and guard in (the husband's) absence what Allah would have them guard.(Surah4. Women)
Okay. Please demonstrate how these verses are not sexist.

theleos6
Student

Post #15

Post by theleos6 »

The bible is full of the same kinds of things, but isn't practiced the way it is in most Muslim countries. Christians did follow the Bible the same as Muslims follow the Quran until the womens rights movement. Most countries have religious freedom, those are the countries who allow womens rights, but in countries where religion is a law, or the government is also the religious leaders, womens rights will be subject to religious beleifs. If the US was a 'Christian' country, women would probably still be subject to the Bible's roles for women.
By being aware we unlock the true intelligence of the consciousness. This is the highest way of responding to the world. We can immediately comprehend things, free from emotions, negativity, and the calculations of the mind.

The Persnickety Platypus
Guru

Post #16

Indeed, the root of the problem is partly political.

But all theocracy aside, I feel Muslims will have to undergo serious religious reformation if their faith is to be morally acceptable in an ideal secular society. Christians in past years have been forced to purposely mistranslate doctrines in order to make their regressive dogma more inclusive. In the same manner, certain portions of the Quran may have to be outright abolished if Islam is to further the human cause.

I have no doubt that athiesm would sooth a number of the Middle East's problems. However, as this is not currently a plausible option, liberal Islam must be pursued.

Right now Islam is a great divider. Massive reform (both religious and political) is essential if this corrupt faith is to benefit the aggregate.