The 4 Argeements

Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

anontheist
Apprentice

The 4 Argeements

Post #1

Post by anontheist »

When I first read "The Four Agreements" I thought, "What a bunch of 'fesses'". But a friend of mine suggested I look past the mythology and consider it psychological empowerment.

I have to say, all the "Toltec" stuff is probably made up, but the actual 'agreements' are not bad advice. I have found the book to be interesting and helpful, as long as I keep in mind, this is made up mythology, (I know that is redundant), but still parts of it are helpful, like reading Eastern Philosophy or Religion; it can be useful in dealing with life.

Debate? Can Mythology be helpful even if the actual story is made up? On reflection, Shakespeare can be insightful and provide wisdom without the events themselves being true.
I only want to believe what is true.

shnarkle
Guru

Re: The 4 Argeements

Post #2

Post by shnarkle »

anontheist wrote: When I first read "The Four Agreements" I thought, "What a bunch of 'fesses'". But a friend of mine suggested I look past the mythology and consider it psychological empowerment.

I have to say, all the "Toltec" stuff is probably made up, but the actual 'agreements' are not bad advice. I have found the book to be interesting and helpful, as long as I keep in mind, this is made up mythology, (I know that is redundant), but still parts of it are helpful, like reading Eastern Philosophy or Religion; it can be useful in dealing with life.

Debate? Can Mythology be helpful even if the actual story is made up? On reflection, Shakespeare can be insightful and provide wisdom without the events themselves being true.
Mythologies are simply frameworks used to explain or convey some truth, fact, message, etc. They're effectively no different than a theory, e.g. the theory of evolution. The theory or myth is the framework that evidence, data, etc. is plugged into to give some insights, interpretations etc. meaning. The problem with mythologies and theories is that whatever is plugged into them must be in terms of the framework; it has to fit that framework, or else it must be made to fit that framework. Anything that doesn't fit that framework must be discarded, or else a new myth or theory must replace it.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #3

Post by Divine Insight »

anontheist wrote: Debate? Can Mythology be helpful even if the actual story is made up?
Sure. In fact, I think mythology can be especially useful when it is fully recognized to be a myth. Often times where myths become problematic is when people start taking them too seriously and proclaim them to be absolute truths.

I use Pagan, Wiccan, and even ideas from Eastern Mysticism all the time. There can even be value found in other mythological stories such as Greek or Hebrew mythology as long as they are fully recognized to be myths.

I find ancient stories and myths to be so useful that I would employ them even if I was certain that our existence is a purely mechanical accident. Ancient myths are still an expression of the human condition and have value in that if nothing else.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #4

Post by Divine Insight »

shnarkle wrote: They're effectively no different than a theory, e.g. the theory of evolution.
Myths are nothing at all like scientific theories.

In fact your claim that a myth is no different from something like the theory of evolution only reveals your extreme ignorance of the difference between myths and scientific theory.

Who taught you that there is no difference between a myth and the theory of evolution? I hope you didn't pay them! If you did, I suggest that you demand your money back.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]