Dio-Ny-sus

Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

Willum
Savant

Dio-Ny-sus

Post #1

Post by Willum »

I've recently discovered that Dionysus is very nearly identically Jesus, in history and character, if you remove religious bias.

I am guessing his name has also been tampered with, to discredit the association.

Dio, we know means 'god,' ny may mean "from" as in nee, and sus, as in Zeus, as in giving honor to Zeus.

So using slight logic, I'm proposing that Dionysus means god of Zeus, or son of Zeus.
Specifying, because Dionysus was the only god born of Zeus and a mortal woman.

Just as Jesus was the son oh Jehovah, allegedly, making the analogy between the two even stronger.

I can read the conventional stuff, any other objections?
Or affirmations?

Talishi
Guru

Re: Dio-Ny-sus

Post #2

Post by Talishi »

Willum wrote: I've recently discovered that Dionysus is very nearly identically Jesus, in history and character, if you remove religious bias.
Pauline Christianity was in competition with Greek and Roman theology. In the historical fictions we call the gospels, the authors deliberately depicted Christ in parallel with Dionysus/Bacchus in such a way as to always show Christ was superior. Bacchus could not turn water into wine, for example.
Thank you for playing Debating Christianity & Religion!

Willum
Savant

Post #3

Post by Willum »

[Replying to Talishi]

Yeah, I saw that too, the only thing I concluded was that 300AD+ Christian vilified all the poor deities from other cultures so that their "real" god shown through.

That was the same technique the OT used on harmless old Dagon, Ba'El, Moloch and so on.
My lie is stronger than your lie!!!!
OT and NT

Willum
Savant

Post #4

Post by Willum »

So, a conversation with theStudent helped me out on this one. Much to his chagrin, I am sure:

The creation of Jesus was directly from Dionysus. If you subtract "Dion," from Dionysus, you get a neat pun, Ysus, which is going to be Y-Zeus, to the listening Greek or Roman "ear," which sounds like Ie- Zeus, which means "Hail Zeus."

There is also the possibility that Jesus is simply derived from Isis, as Latinization of Isis, is trivially Isus, or Jesus.

Since it's pretty demonstrably made up, at least to non-believers, it may be both, but there is likely some historical remnants indicating one or the other.

Kicking the ball closer to the goal... pushing back the horizons of burned and buried knowledge...

czyz
Scholar

Post #5

Post by czyz »

[Replying to post 1 by Willum]

Look also at Horus, an ancient Egyptian God, who shares many attributes with Jesus. I believe it's quite likely that Jesus may have been a radical messianic preacher whose followers imbued with fantastical powers found in ancient myths. Pagans stated to early church leaders, which the leaders did not deny, that their Jesus stories were very similar to ancient pagan stories. The church leaders more or less said, "yes, but our guy is the real deal."

You may want to read the book "From Jesus to Christ" by Paula Fredriksen, who teaches at Princeton. She does not a nice job laying out how an insignificant preacher developed through history as God.
My mind is my own church--Thomas Paine

Science adjusts its view based on what is observed but faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.