Are Confucianism and Taoism consistent with the Bible?

Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Are Confucianism and Taoism consistent with the Bible?

Post #1

Post by McCulloch »

JP Cusick wrote:Those eastern faiths [Confucianism and Taoism] are not heretical to Jesus Christ - they are not heretical to the Father God - they are not heretical to the Bible.

They are only viewed as heretical by western prejudice and by the western superiority complex.
Are Confucianism and Taoism consistent with the teachings of the Bible?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

JP Cusick
Guru

Re: Are Confucianism and Taoism consistent with the Bible?

Post #2

Post by JP Cusick »

McCulloch wrote:
JP Cusick wrote:Those eastern faiths [Confucianism and Taoism] are not heretical to Jesus Christ - they are not heretical to the Father God - they are not heretical to the Bible.

They are only viewed as heretical by western prejudice and by the western superiority complex.
Are Confucianism and Taoism consistent with the teachings of the Bible?
I expect that most people are so self centered that they would never look outside their own sphere, and they are so prejudiced against those outside their own sphere that even when one looks they still can not see.

There is also the brilliant Gita of the Sanskrit, the Holy Qur'an, the Noble Truths of the Buddha, the power of Shamanism, and there is the reality of a real God which everyone fails to see.

Most people have the horrible mentality of competition, as they are against other people and competing with other religions, but that is not the only inhibitor.
SIGNATURE:

An unorthodox Theist & a heretic Christian:

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by ttruscott »

Taoist pantheon wrote: http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions ... gods.shtml
Westerners who study Taoism are sometimes surprised to discover that Taoists venerate gods, as there doesn't seem to be a place for deities in Taoist thinking.

Taoism does not have a God in the way that the Abrahamic religions do. There is no omnipotent being beyond the cosmos, who created and controls the universe. In Taoism the universe springs from the Tao, and the Tao impersonally guides things on their way.

But the Tao itself is not God, nor is it a god, nor is it worshipped by Taoists.
Confucianism and God wrote: http://classroom.synonym.com/who-is-the ... 85777.html
There is no god in Confucianism, but rather a force called the Tao, also known as the Great Ultimate. Confucius believed that the Tao was the impetus for creation and that this force flows through all life, enabling change and betterment. Though Confucianism does not have a being-based god, Confucius spoke of the notion of heaven as another positive force. Unlike the concept of heaven found in theistic religions, Confucius believed heaven was a guiding force of the universe and judge of right and wrong.
Mr. Cusick seems not to concern himself with whether a theory of reality conforms to the bible or not but only if it conforms to himself.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

JP Cusick
Guru

Post #4

Post by JP Cusick »

ttruscott wrote: "Taoist pantheon"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions ... gods.shtml

"Confucianism and God"
http://classroom.synonym.com/who-is-the ... 85777.html
---

Mr. Cusick seems not to concern himself with whether a theory of reality conforms to the bible or not but only if it conforms to himself.
Not true - I look to see if whatever might conform to the Father God, and only then do I look to see if it conforms to other scriptures.

The idea that God has to conform to the Bible does not come from me.

I realize that the jab is about conforming to myself - but I do work hard to make myself conform.

The problem as shown in those links is that they are referring to people instead of to God, while I refer to God and never (never ever) to the people.

As like the people who claim to be Christians do not represent the truth of the Gospel nor of Christ, so the people are wrong - but the Gospel and Christ remain standing true away from the Christian people.

That same reality is also true with other people and other religions around the world.

As like the Taoist people do not comprehend the Tao Te Ching correctly, the Buddhist do not follow the Buddha correctly, the Muslims misunderstand the Qur'an, the Confucius people do not conform to Confucius, and as the Bible so accurately declares = "all people fall short".

So if one reads the Bible then they have a chance - but if they follow the people of Christianity then they will join with the lost.

So too if we want to find God in any philosophy or any religion then we must go to the source material and do not follow the people.

It is more accurate to say that all religions are consistent with God, but not with the people.
SIGNATURE:

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #5

Post by Divine Insight »

McCulloch wrote: Are Confucianism and Taoism consistent with the teachings of the Bible?
I would suggest that this is a relatively meaningless question.

Why?

Because there are two major divisions in Biblical Theology.

1. Literal Fundamentalists
2. Personal Interpretationalists.

The Literal Fundamentalists would most likely say that religions that do not provide at least the Ten Commandments pronounced specifically in the name of Yahweh cannot be consistent with the teachings of the Bible because Yahweh specifically commanded in those Ten Commandments that no other God's shall be placed before Yahweh, and he also gave specific commandments about how he should be worshiped and obeyed, etc.

Therefore religions that do not recognize this cannot be said to be consistent with the Bible. So the answer should be clear in terms of literal fundamentalism.

With the Personal Interpretationalists anything goes. But that being the case, this leaves the Bible extremely ill-defined and ambiguous. Clearly the Personal Interpretationalists can proclaim the Bible to be consistent with anything they imagine it to be consistent with. They are the ones who are pushing onto the Bible their own personal interpretations. :D

So the answer to the question appears to be totally dependent upon how a person personally views the Bible.

By the way, even Literal Fundamentalists can't agree with each other on what the Bible literally has to say. This is because the Bible is fundamentally incoherent and self-contradictory. This is also why literal fundamentalists are an extremely small percentage of Biblical theologians while the vast majority of them favor Personal Interpreationalism and abstract nonsensicality.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

JP Cusick
Guru

Post #6

Post by JP Cusick »

Divine Insight wrote: Because there are two major divisions in Biblical Theology.

1. Literal Fundamentalists
2. Personal Interpretationalists.
I find that there are many more perspectives (divisions) then just those two.
-

As in the people who are just afraid of the Bible and afraid of any reality of God.

And there are the personal lies and distortions which seems to be endless.

There is also the seldom used method of having the Bible interpret itself.

There is also that God gives His own Theology to whomever He chooses.

And there is divine revelation.
-

So there are other divisions - FYI.
SIGNATURE: