Deism vs. Atheism. Which is more likely true?

Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

William
Savant

Deism vs. Atheism. Which is more likely true?

Post #1

Post by William »

Assuming for argument sake that it is possible for the universe to exist without intelligent design...

In what way is atheism still a better position to assume? In what way is atheism more likely to be truer than Deism?

One of the most popular arguments I ever come across for atheism over any type of theism usually goes along the lines of "if I were god, I would want to interact with my creation rather than stay absent like the Deistic god, and since there is no evidence of GOD existing through interaction, atheism is still the preferred position to have, because the deist GOD is absent anyway, so might as well not exist."

So, in what way is atheism more likely truer than Deism?

Or, are the two positions so similar that they are not even in conflict with each other and may as well be the same thing?

After all, a deist idea of GOD in relation to this universe, might as well not exist. Which is precisely the atheist position on the subject of GOD.

Thoughts?

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Re: Deism vs. Atheism. Which is more likely true?

Post #31

Post by Athetotheist »

oldbadger wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:25 am
Athetotheist wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:32 pm
oldbadger wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:46 am [Replying to William in post #1]
Although that seems to be what popular culture wants you to believe, it's a skewed and incomplete picture of Deism.

From the World Union of Deists website:

"Do Deists believe that God created the creation and the world and then just stepped back from it? Some Deists do and some believe God may intervene in human affairs. For example, when George Washington was faced with either a very risky evacuation of the American troops from Long Island or surrendering them, he chose the more risky evacuation. When questioned about the possibility of having them annihilated he said it was the best he could do and the rest was up to Providence."

If some folks in the World Union of Deists believes that :Some Deists ......... believe God may intervene in human affairs... then they are on their way to becoming Theists, I think. Deists believe in an uninvolved Deity, methinks.

Theism is about involved God/s
Deism is about uninvolved God/s.

Yes?
Deism has no dogmatic beliefs about God/s.

Tcg
Savant

Post #32

Post by Tcg »

Athetotheist wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:14 pm
oldbadger wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:25 am
Athetotheist wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:32 pm
oldbadger wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:46 am [Replying to William in post #1]
Although that seems to be what popular culture wants you to believe, it's a skewed and incomplete picture of Deism.

From the World Union of Deists website:

"Do Deists believe that God created the creation and the world and then just stepped back from it? Some Deists do and some believe God may intervene in human affairs. For example, when George Washington was faced with either a very risky evacuation of the American troops from Long Island or surrendering them, he chose the more risky evacuation. When questioned about the possibility of having them annihilated he said it was the best he could do and the rest was up to Providence."

If some folks in the World Union of Deists believes that :Some Deists ......... believe God may intervene in human affairs... then they are on their way to becoming Theists, I think. Deists believe in an uninvolved Deity, methinks.

Theism is about involved God/s
Deism is about uninvolved God/s.

Yes?
Deism has no dogmatic beliefs about God/s.
But it does include a belief in a god. That makes it a version of theism. Perhaps one of the more logical ones in that its god is totally indistinguishable from a god that doesn't exist. A god that does nothing is possible unlike all the other versions of god.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #33

Post by Athetotheist »

[Replying to Tcg in post #32
[
But it does include a belief in a god. That makes it a version of theism. Perhaps one of the more logical ones in that its god is totally indistinguishable from a god that doesn't exist. A god that does nothing is possible unlike all the other versions of god.
I haven't denied that it's a version of theism, but its lack of dogma means that it isn't limited to a dogmatic belief that the creator is uninvolved.

Tcg
Savant

Post #34

Post by Tcg »

Athetotheist wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:47 pm [Replying to Tcg in post #32
[
I haven't denied that it's a version of theism, but its lack of dogma means that it isn't limited to a dogmatic belief that the creator is uninvolved.
The creator? What creator?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #35

Post by Athetotheist »

Tcg wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:19 am
[
Is that supposed to be a witty parry? "Creator" is a common Deist expression.

Tcg
Savant

Post #36

Post by Tcg »

Athetotheist wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:37 pm
Tcg wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:19 am
[
Is that supposed to be a witty parry? "Creator" is a common Deist expression.
That doesn't address my question. I asked you what creator you are referring to.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

Miles
Savant

Post #37

Post by Miles »

[

........................... Image

oldbadger
Guru

Post #38

Post by oldbadger »

Athetotheist wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:14 pm Deism has no dogmatic beliefs about God/s.
I think it does............. if any Deist believes in an involved or aware Deity then they've just left Deism....for Theism.
The resident Governor in this universe is Mother Nature.

William
Savant

Post #39

Post by William »

[Replying to oldbadger in post #38]
The resident Governor in this universe is Mother Nature.
Well at least in our section of the universe...

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #40

Post by Athetotheist »

[Replying to oldbadger in post #38
if any Deist believes in an involved or aware Deity then they've just left Deism
Wrong. The core tenet of Deism is not that the creator is uninvolved. The core tenet of Deism is that the creator can be discerned by each individual through nature and reason without the aid of special revelation through any individual or group. That's it.

You're falling for a mischaracterization of Deism often employed by the uninformed.