Is desiring to live without an objective purpose irrational?

Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

Lucian Hodoboc

Is desiring to live without an objective purpose irrational?

Post #1

Post by Lucian Hodoboc »

Is desiring to experience life (with its struggles and occasional moments of happiness) while being aware that your existence is an incredibly limited, meaningless, accidental period of awareness in the middle of an eternity of nothingness a rational behavior, from a psychological point of view? What do you think? Is desiring to remain alive without believing in an objective purpose and an afterlife rational?

Neatras
Guru

Re: Is desiring to live without an objective purpose irratio

Post #2

Post by Neatras »

[Replying to post 1 by Lucian Hodoboc]

Sure. It's actually quite easy when you haven't been taught to respond with anguish or disgust the moment someone brings up that objective meaning is non-essential to life. Knee-jerk reactions are the main reason why Christians can't fathom existing without some kind of divine benefactor telling them they're worth it. When you've convinced yourself you've tasted the best wine, you'll grimace at anything less unless you convince yourself to step off the pedestal and find the value in (or give value to) anything.

Lucian Hodoboc

Post #3

Post by Lucian Hodoboc »

But why even bother attempting to give meaning to or search for meaning for anything or everything if you're aware of the meaninglessness of your incredibly limited existence? Your point of view would make sense in an utopia in which all humans are 100% happy their entire lives, but that is not the case of our current world, so why struggle to face all the hardships of this temporary existence just to experience a few moments of happiness (considering that eternal nothingness awaits)?

Neatras
Guru

Post #4

Post by Neatras »

[Replying to post 3 by Lucian Hodoboc]

I'll have an eternity to be dead. I've got just a few years to enjoy what I can. This isn't hedonism, it's acceptance of the fact that as long as I am alive, possibilities exist. Possibility isn't a goal for me, but it provides a groundwork for why I persist. There are so many things I haven't seen or done. And I'm really curious. Future me can rot in the ground, since that's what all living beings do. He's not gonna be around to admire amazing things.

But I'm here now. I'm seeing things I've never seen before, done things I'll never get to do when I expire.

Things exist. Isn't that awesome? Death can wait until my turn is done.

Lucian Hodoboc

Post #5

Post by Lucian Hodoboc »

Neatras wrote: [Replying to post 3 by Lucian Hodoboc]

I'll have an eternity to be dead. I've got just a few years to enjoy what I can.
You had eternity to not exist before being born. Did that bother you when you first started to become aware that you're alive? On what grounds do you base your belief that experiencing consciousness is better that (or superior to) not experiencing anything at all?

Neatras
Guru

Post #6

Post by Neatras »

[Replying to post 5 by Lucian Hodoboc]

If I don't exist, I don't get a say. The hypothetical "me" that didn't exist before I was born doesn't get to weigh in. It's my life to live, not some philosophical dead-beat's.

I. Am.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #7

Post by Divine Insight »

Lucian Hodoboc wrote: But why even bother attempting to give meaning to or search for meaning for anything or everything if you're aware of the meaninglessness of your incredibly limited existence?
Because living is either meaningful to you or it isn't.

If a temporary life has no meaning to you, then extending that meaningless life for eternity is not going to miraculously give it meaning.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

wiploc
Guru

Post #8

Post by wiploc »

Lucian Hodoboc wrote:On what grounds do you base your belief that experiencing consciousness is better that (or superior to) not experiencing anything at all?
On what grounds do you base your belief that experiencing consciousness with a purpose assigned to you by an invisible eccentric better than not experiencing anything at all?

Lucian Hodoboc

Post #9

Post by Lucian Hodoboc »

wiploc wrote:
Lucian Hodoboc wrote:On what grounds do you base your belief that experiencing consciousness is better that (or superior to) not experiencing anything at all?
On what grounds do you base your belief that experiencing consciousness with a purpose assigned to you by an invisible eccentric better than not experiencing anything at all?
On the grounds that I find desiring temporary existence to be irrational, and I only find rationality in a state of painless immortality.

wiploc
Guru

Post #10

Post by wiploc »

Lucian Hodoboc wrote:
wiploc wrote:
On the grounds that I find desiring temporary existence to be irrational, and I only find rationality in a state of painless immortality.
Okay. I find it irrational to want more of something that isn't good in finite amounts.