The religion of atheism?

Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

shnarkle
Guru

The religion of atheism?

Post #1

Post by shnarkle »

Joe Rogan was recently interviewed by Ben Shapiro and while talking about his experience with religion as well as what he termed the benefits of religion, he also had this to say about the similarities with atheism and agnosticism.

"When you are an atheist or an agnostic, you don't really have that group (i.e. religion; religious groups). What you're getting from a lot of atheists is this really hardcore progressive idealogy that is in many ways like a religion".

Do you agree, and if so in what ways do you see this being manifested or playing out?

Tcg
Savant

Re: The religion of atheism?

Post #2

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to post 1 by shnarkle]

Given that you ask this question:

"The religion of atheism?"

And yet claim that Joe Rogan said this:

"...that is in many ways like a religion."

Which is it that you want to discus, what you claim Joe Rogan said, or your straw man representation of what you claim he said?

shnarkle
Guru

Re: The religion of atheism?

Post #3

Post by shnarkle »

Tcg wrote: [Replying to post 1 by shnarkle]

And yet claim that Joe Rogan said this:

"...that is in many ways like a religion."

That is what Joe Rogan said. Did you notice the quotation marks?

When it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, perhaps it really is a duck.

One of the ironies here is that there are atheists who are now pastors of Christian churches. They've gone through seminaries. They fully understand the theology of Christianity, and are able to preach the gospel message, provide for their flock and yet remain atheists. This is no small feat, and yet when one clears through all of the dogma and doctrine, the essential message is one that anyone can accept regardless of their dogmatic assumptions.

My question was in regards to Joe Rogan's comment specifically as it relates religious convictions as well as the underlying reasons why people seem to have this need for religious affiliations. A superificial glance at atheists and agnostics might lead some to beleive that they don't have a group identity, but this isn't the case at all, and Joe Rogan sees the benefits of religious affiliations as well as a group identity, and the similarities of atheistic and agnostic groups. He sees this in certain forms of athsism. He's a perceptive guy. Just wondering if you see the same thing or not.

It's not a stretch to go from being an atheist leading a religious congregation to leading a group of atheists and agnostics. There's no straw man argument in my OP. However, I am interested in your response, and wonder why it bothers you so much.

jgh7

Post #4

Post by jgh7 »

Progressive ideology is a very general broad term. Im interested to see what the details and beliefs of this progressive ideology are.