How many religions came from America?

Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Is it evidence for or against religions if they came from America?

For instance Mormonism and Jehovah's Witnesses. Are there more? Scientology. Any more?

I would argue it is evidence against the religion because America has quite literally nothing the to do with the Bible. What other evidence flows from a religion coming from America?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Re: How many religions came from America?

Post #11

Post by Athetotheist »

Tcg wrote:You've quite oddly overlooked Native American religions.
The difference as I see it is that, at least for the most part, Native Americans don't seem to be interested in "exporting" their religions.

elphidium55
Student

Post #12

Post by elphidium55 »

Too many!

Seir1997

Post #13

Post by Seir1997 »

There are over 200 million Americans who call themselves Christians and they number about 1/4th of the world’s population. Yet, despite being the largest religion in the country, only around 25% of American's practice Christianity. There are numerous other religious groups that make up our vast nation but just how many Christian religions are really born out of this great nation? Is there any truth behind the popular belief that the creation of these religions was due to the pilgrims and their quest towards freedom in the New World? Let us take a look at some answers to those questions!
1. The Seventh Day Adventist Church
The Seventh-Day Adventist church was founded in 1844, however, the group didn't come into existence until 1863 after the United States declared war against Germany. In 1862, following the Battle of Stones River (or Murfreesboro), President Lincoln allowed Sabbath day observance to continue. The first church services were held on Saturday mornings and Sunday evenings.
2. Jehovah’s Witnesses
Jehovah’s Witnesses believe that Christ died before God created mankind to redeem them. They do not celebrate birthdays, holidays, Christmas trees, Easter eggs, Valentine’s Day flowers, Halloween candy and fireworks. Some people have interpreted this belief to mean that all music should be avoided. However, the church does allow its members to listen to gospel, classical, jazz, heavy metal and rap music.
3. The Unification Church

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Re:

Post #14

Post by The Nice Centurion »

Overcomer wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 6:25 pm Would you add Seventh Day Adventists to your list, Wootah? It's a religion birthed in the States and it promotes non-biblical beliefs as well. It's interesting that they, along with the Mormons and the JWs, have their origins in the 19th century. It makes one wonder what there was about that time period in the United States that led to such heretical offshoots.
And from Seventh Day Adventist sect, sect Jehovahs Witnessess Sprung !
“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. But if you drown a man in a fish pond, he will never have to go hungry again🐟

"Only Experts in Reformed Egyptian should be allowed to critique the Book of Mormon❗"

"Joseph Smith can't possibly have been a deceiver.
For if he had been, the Angel Moroni never would have taken the risk of enthrusting him with the Golden Plates❗"

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Post #15

Post by The Nice Centurion »

[Replying to Wootah in post #1]
Lets not forget the Strangites!
Strangites should be counted as Mormons, but mormons dont want to hear about it.
They are to mormons, what mormons are to Mainstream christianity.
They are the mormons morrmons, I like to put it.

After death of prophet Joseph Smith, James Strang tried to follow in his footsteps as exactly as possible.
Where possible he tried to do it better.

He unearthed the copper (Who can afford gold?) plates during bright day and in Front of a mass of witnesses. The copper plates are until this day preserved for us in copy and buyable in bookform.

James disliked Brigham Young and took his followers to an isle in the Mississippi, where they crowned him with an iron crown to Emperor of the world.

James decided that as emperor he automatically owned everything. So he sent his followers out as river pirates to ambush other ships.

James had many wives and ruled with an Iron fist until he was murdered.

Today there are 300 Strangites left, but splitted up again into 2 sects.

Stranges book is sadly no Sequel to the book of mormon, but some sort of behaving guide.
The protecting nature guidelines are said to be amazingly moderate for the 19th century.
“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. But if you drown a man in a fish pond, he will never have to go hungry again🐟

"Only Experts in Reformed Egyptian should be allowed to critique the Book of Mormon❗"

"Joseph Smith can't possibly have been a deceiver.
For if he had been, the Angel Moroni never would have taken the risk of enthrusting him with the Golden Plates❗"

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #16

Post by Difflugia »

The Nice Centurion wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:08 amLets not forget the Strangites!
I'd never heard of these guys and I love quirky religious sects. The guy was apparently from Michigan to boot, which is a bonus for me.
The Nice Centurion wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:08 amStranges book is sadly no Sequel to the book of mormon, but some sort of behaving guide.
What's the name of the book? A quick search finds a few books by Stang, but I'm not sure which, if any, is the one you're talking about.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

historia
Prodigy

Post #17

Post by historia »

Difflugia wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:30 am
The Nice Centurion wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:08 am
Stranges book is sadly no Sequel to the book of mormon, but some sort of behaving guide.
What's the name of the book? A quick search finds a few books by Stang, but I'm not sure which, if any, is the one you're talking about.
I believe he means the Book of the Law of the Lord.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #18

Post by Difflugia »

historia wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:58 amI believe he means the Book of the Law of the Lord.
I appreciate that, thanks! Considering that your link seems to be to the official site of the splinter group, I'm kind of amazed that it didn't show in any Google searches for "Mormon" and "James Strang." It didn't, though, so I'm not sure I would have found it without your link.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

Wootah
Savant

Post #19

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to The Nice Centurion in post #15]
Thanks I hadn't heard of them. 1000 mpg donation to you.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

kjw47
Under Probation

Post #20

Post by kjw47 »

Wootah wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:55 pm Is it evidence for or against religions if they came from America?

For instance Mormonism and Jehovah's Witnesses. Are there more? Scientology. Any more?

I would argue it is evidence against the religion because America has quite literally nothing the to do with the Bible. What other evidence flows from a religion coming from America?

It doesnt matter where a religion began as long as Jesus is the head of it. Which would you say is the correct one? You see there is only one-1Cor 1:10- Unity of thought( all of Gods 1 truth) no division. A single named religion has Jesus. according to wikipedia there are about 34,000 different ones that claim to be christian--yet that is a house divided it will not stand. All accept the one that has Jesus. Do you think you chose correct?