How many religions came from America?

Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

How many religions came from America?

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Is it evidence for or against religions if they came from America?

For instance Mormonism and Jehovah's Witnesses. Are there more? Scientology. Any more?

I would argue it is evidence against the religion because America has quite literally nothing the to do with the Bible. What other evidence flows from a religion coming from America?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Tcg
Savant

Re: How many religions came from America?

Post #2

Post by Tcg »

Wootah wrote: Is it evidence for or against religions if they came from America?

Nope.

For instance Mormonism and Jehovah's Witnesses. Are there more? Scientology. Any more?

Of course there are. You've quite oddly overlooked Native American religions. Here's a list of just the major ones:

Earth Lodge Religion

Ghost Dances

Indian Shaker Religion

Longhouse Religion

Mexicayotl

Native American Church

Waashat Religion

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_Am ... _religions

I would argue it is evidence against the religion because America has quite literally nothing the to do with the Bible.

This isn't an argument against any of these religions, but simply a revelation of your bias for those religions based on the Bible.

What other evidence flows from a religion coming from America?

I have no ides what this question means.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Wootah
Savant

Post #3

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 2 by Tcg]

There's nothing odd about debating Christianity on a forum called Debating Christianity & Religion.

It seems to me on the face of it there is a falsity to a religion that came from America. That's all I want to explore. It probably is just in the end an ad hominem but I'd be interested in anything constructive in either direction.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Tcg
Savant

Post #4

Post by Tcg »

Wootah wrote: [Replying to post 2 by Tcg]

There's nothing odd about debating Christianity on a forum called Debating Christianity & Religion.

I never said or implied that there was.

It seems to me on the face of it there is a falsity to a religion that came from America.

Why?

That's all I want to explore. It probably is just in the end an ad hominem but I'd be interested in anything constructive in either direction.

I'd be interested in anything constructive in either direction as well.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Overcomer
Guru

Post #5

Post by Overcomer »

Would you add Seventh Day Adventists to your list, Wootah? It's a religion birthed in the States and it promotes non-biblical beliefs as well. It's interesting that they, along with the Mormons and the JWs, have their origins in the 19th century. It makes one wonder what there was about that time period in the United States that led to such heretical offshoots.

help3434
Guru

Post #6

Post by help3434 »

Wootah wrote:
I would argue it is evidence against the religion because America has quite literally nothing the to do with the Bible.
What about Genesis 1 were it claims God created the whole Earth, which would include America. It is strange how the God of the Bible creates the whole Earth and humanity and then proceeds to ignore the vast majority of it. It is almost as if the Bible were a product of a particular culture rather than the revelations of the creator of the universe...

Gracchus
Apprentice

Post #7

Post by Gracchus »

Christian Science I&II are home grown.

:study:

help3434
Guru

Post #8

Post by help3434 »

[Replying to post 7 by Gracchus]

What is Christian Science II?

Gracchus
Apprentice

Post #9

Post by Gracchus »

[Replying to post 8 by help3434]
I passed a Christian Science reading room labeled Second Church of Christ Scientist! Few indeed are religions that don't dissect themselves.

:study:

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by Difflugia »

Gracchus wrote:I passed a Christian Science reading room labeled Second Church of Christ Scientist! Few indeed are religions that don't dissect themselves.
That's just a naming convention. It's the same as "First Baptist Church" and such. It usually means that it was literally the first Baptist church in a town and larger towns often have a "Second Baptist Church" and "Third Baptist Church." The official name of Christian Science is the "Church of Christ, Scientist," so you probably passed the second Christian Science reading room opened in the town.