Jainism - the most peaceful religion

Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

Compassionist
Sage
Posts: 621
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:56 pm
Has thanked: 334 times
Been thanked: 37 times

Jainism - the most peaceful religion

Post #1

Post by Compassionist »

As far as I know, Jainism is the most peaceful religion on Earth. Jains have never conquered others through violence. They are very strict vegetarians and committed pacifists.

User avatar
Divine Insight
Savant
Posts: 18080
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:59 pm
Location: Here & Now
Been thanked: 15 times

Post #2

Post by Divine Insight »

What would the Jains have done to protect themselves against Nazi Germany?

Would they have just passively and willingly become the slaves of the Germans?

The problem with extreme pacifism is that we don't live in a reality where that's a viable option. Extreme pacifism might work in a protected "Heaven" where there's no one around who will enslave you. But unfortunately that's not the situation on planet Earth.

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for a peaceful protected heaven where I can be peaceful and no one will harass me. But that doesn't seem to be a viable option here on earth.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Compassionist
Sage
Posts: 621
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:56 pm
Has thanked: 334 times
Been thanked: 37 times

Post #3

Post by Compassionist »

Divine Insight wrote: What would the Jains have done to protect themselves against Nazi Germany?

Would they have just passively and willingly become the slaves of the Germans?

The problem with extreme pacifism is that we don't live in a reality where that's a viable option. Extreme pacifism might work in a protected "Heaven" where there's no one around who will enslave you. But unfortunately that's not the situation on planet Earth.

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for a peaceful protected heaven where I can be peaceful and no one will harass me. But that doesn't seem to be a viable option here on earth.
I understand your point. I realise that if the Allied Forces were pacifists, the Nazis would have killed or enslaved them. Nevertheless, I am a pacifist under all circumstances. I would rather be killed by violent enemies than live by using violence to kill them before they kill me. Many people have harmed me (e.g. I have been kidnapped, raped, beaten up, robbed, called names, given death threats, etc.) but I have always repaid evil with good because of my omnibenevolence.

Dimmesdale
Sage
Posts: 726
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 7:19 pm
Location: The Temple of Logic
Has thanked: 26 times
Been thanked: 85 times

Post #4

Post by Dimmesdale »

Extreme pacifism is wrong because it reduces one's sovereignty to nothing, and therefore one's rights as a fully functioning human being.

There are more principles to go by than just doing as little harm as possible. Actually, one paradoxically does harm to him/herself and society in general by not doing what needs doing, namely violence, when it is necessary. And not only "absolutely necessary" but a necessity that is woven into life in general.

If I had to look down every time I feared stepping on an ant, that would hinder the very essence of my life as worth living. I could never go outside, feel the sunshine, and in a word LIVE. Humans have a right to be happy, within reasonable limits, not just treat this world as a waystation to the hereafter. Happiness itself is a principle that should be protected at all times. Of course, there are situations when happiness has to be sacrificed, but not indefinitely.

Dimmesdale
Sage
Posts: 726
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 7:19 pm
Location: The Temple of Logic
Has thanked: 26 times
Been thanked: 85 times

Post #5

Post by Dimmesdale »

[Replying to post 4 by Dimmesdale]

Another thought on violence and refraining thereof:

One should consider time and place. In another age, it might be worthwhile to be pacifistic in one's actions. That assumes there are a sizable number of people who could follow suit and effect a movement. A movement that actually has impact. But consider the madness of the times. If everyone is killing everyone, if everyone is polluting everything, then that's a clear-cut call to arms. It won't do harm to cease from attack, but it won't do nothing good either. You must be political and savvy. In fact, in such times it is incumbent upon you.

User avatar
Purple Knight
Guru
Posts: 2117
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:00 pm
Has thanked: 671 times
Been thanked: 407 times

Re: Jainism - the most peaceful religion

Post #6

Post by Purple Knight »

Disclaimer: Opinion Only

Personally I think pacifists are effective parasites. The philosophy survives and propagates precisely because there are enough non-pacifists around to keep the pacifists safe enough to remain pacifists and not immediately die, thus preserving their philosophy.

They are far worse than mere cowards in my book, because the coward at least admits his wrong. The pacifist on the other hand occupies a pedestal of innate moral superiority and not only benefits from the existence of non-pacifists and effectively parasitises them, he makes them feel bad about being non-pacifists while he's doing it.

Universalisability is but one side of the coin. Yes, the only things that work are those things that would work if everyone did them. But they still don't work unless there's a mechanism in place for making sure everyone does them. You need both.

Compassionist
Sage
Posts: 621
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:56 pm
Has thanked: 334 times
Been thanked: 37 times

Re: Jainism - the most peaceful religion

Post #7

Post by Compassionist »

Purple Knight wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:37 pm Disclaimer: Opinion Only

Personally I think pacifists are effective parasites. The philosophy survives and propagates precisely because there are enough non-pacifists around to keep the pacifists safe enough to remain pacifists and not immediately die, thus preserving their philosophy.

They are far worse than mere cowards in my book, because the coward at least admits his wrong. The pacifist on the other hand occupies a pedestal of innate moral superiority and not only benefits from the existence of non-pacifists and effectively parasitises them, he makes them feel bad about being non-pacifists while he's doing it.

Universalisability is but one side of the coin. Yes, the only things that work are those things that would work if everyone did them. But they still don't work unless there's a mechanism in place for making sure everyone does them. You need both.
I have been kidnapped, raped, beaten up, etc. Where were the non-pacifists when these things happened to me? Also, my relatives and friends have been murdered. Where were the non-pacifists when they were getting murdered? Lots of people have been murdered, tortured, raped, etc. Why didn't the non-pacifists protect all the victims of violence? In fact the people who did the kidnapping, raping, assaulting and murdering were all non-pacifists. Despite being a victim of violence, I have not become violent. Despite having evil done to me, I did not repay evil with evil. I am a pacifist vegan egalitarian compassionist. I am always ready to die being true to my values. Survival at any cost is not ethical. Non-pacifists who are ok with murdering, torturing, etc. are not ethical. When one murders another person in self-defence, one is putting one's own life above the life of the attacker. I am an egalitarian. Everyone should have equal rights, equal length of life, equal standard of living and equal quality of life. If the world ran according to my wishes, no living thing would ever suffer, experience unfairness or die. I know that the real world is far from my ideal world but I still strive to turn the real world into my ideal world.
Last edited by Compassionist on Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JehovahsWitness
Savant
Posts: 18123
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:03 am
Has thanked: 437 times
Been thanked: 671 times
Contact:

Re: Jainism - the most peaceful religion

Post #8

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Compassionist wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:07 pm As far as I know, Jainism is the most peaceful religion on Earth. Jains have never conquered others through violence. They are very strict vegetarians and committed pacifists.
Jehovah's Witnesses are equally as peaceful since de too have never shared in war making and have never attempted to conquer any political nation by force. JWs are entirely non-violent (although we are not all vegetarians).
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681


"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

User avatar
JehovahsWitness
Savant
Posts: 18123
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:03 am
Has thanked: 437 times
Been thanked: 671 times
Contact:

Re: Jainism - the most peaceful religion

Post #9

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Compassionist wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:29 am I know that the real world is far from my ideal world but I still strive to turn the real world into my ideal world.
Beautifully put. Jesus teachings of love may be criticized as unrealistic, but he at store to live what he asked his disciples to be.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681


"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Compassionist
Sage
Posts: 621
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:56 pm
Has thanked: 334 times
Been thanked: 37 times

Re: Jainism - the most peaceful religion

Post #10

Post by Compassionist »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:59 am
Compassionist wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:07 pm As far as I know, Jainism is the most peaceful religion on Earth. Jains have never conquered others through violence. They are very strict vegetarians and committed pacifists.
Jehovah's Witnesses are equally as peaceful since de too have never shared in war making and have never attempted to conquer any political nation by force. JWs are entirely non-violent (although we are not all vegetarians).
How can one be non-violent if one is not vegetarian or vegan? If one is killing sentient animals for meat or leather, one is not a pacifist. If one is paying someone else to do the killing for meat or leather, then one is not a pacifist. I am glad to hear that JWs have never attempted to conquer others through violence. What's the difference between protestant Christianity and JWs?

Post Reply