Muhammad, a pedophile or child molester?

Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

Miles
Savant

Muhammad, a pedophile or child molester?

Post #1

Post by Miles »

I rarely delve into the Islamic faith or any of its elements; however, I did happen upon the following which I found rather interesting.

Please know that the events related below don't appear to mark Muhammad as a pedophile as the term is psychiatricly understood, but rather in it's more colloquial usage as a child sexual molester.

"Evidence that Muhammad was a pedophile.

For the Western mind, perhaps the most disturbing fact about Islam is that its founder had a sexual relationship with a nine-year-old girl. Because of this, it has become increasingly popular in some circles to refer to the Prophet of Islam as a "pedophile." This is, of course, extremely offensive to Muslims, who view Muhammad as the ideal servant of God and as the greatest example of what a man should strive to be. Nevertheless, Muhammad’s relationship with a young girl presents a problem for Muslims, especially for those who want to share their faith with others.

The evidence for Muhammad’s marriage to the nine-year-old Aisha is too strong to be ignored.

The problem with the selective and carefully edited defense just given (other than the complete lack of references) is that it ignores the numerous accounts we now possess which record Aisha’s age when Muhammad consummated his marriage to her. Many of these accounts are from Aisha herself. Indeed, the evidence for Muhammad’s marriage to the young Aisha is as strong as the evidence for just about any other fact in Islam. We have copious traditions relating Muhammad’s marriage proposal when Aisha was six or seven years old, as well as his consummation of that marriage when she was nine:

Aisha (may Allah be pleased with her) narrated that the Prophet (may the blessing and peace of Allah be upon him) married her when she was six years old, and he consummated her in marriage when she was nine years old. Then she remained with him for nine years (i.e. till his death).

Khadijah died three years before the Prophet (the blessing and peace of Allah be upon him) departed to Madina. He stayed there for two years or so and then he married Aisha when she was a girl of six years of age, and he consummated that marriage when she was nine years old.

Urwa narrated: The Prophet (may the blessing and peace of Allah be upon him) wrote the (marriage contract) with Aisha while she was six years old and consummated his marriage with her while she was nine years.
Aisha (Allah be pleased with her) reported: Allah’s Apostle (may peace be upon him) married me when I was six years old, and I was admitted to his house when I was nine years old.

Aisha (Allah be pleased with her) reported that Allah’s Apostle (may peace be upon him) married her when she was seven years old, and she was taken to his house as a bride when she was nine, and her dolls were with her; and when he (the Holy Prophet) died she was eighteen years old.

ASSESSMENT: While the evidence isn’t enough to condemn Muhammad as a "pedophile," his sexual relationship with Aisha is unacceptable.

Muhammad has been accused of pedophilia in numerous writings, sermons, and conversations. We have seen that the earliest Muslim traditions offer support for this view. However, the evidence sustaining the charge of pedophilia is perhaps too limited to warrant such a harsh conclusion. We know that Muhammad had a sexual relationship with a young girl, and that this was reprehensible. Yet we must take cultural differences into consideration in formulating an accurate appraisal of a person’s character. In Muhammad’s society, sexual intercourse was acceptable when a girl reached menses, and Muhammad may have waited until Aisha had reached this age. (Note: There’s no good historical evidence that Muhammad waited for Aisha to reach menses. However, I think it’s important to be generous in our interpretations as much as possible, so I’m willing to grant, for the sake of argument, that Aisha had reached puberty.)

Similarly, we don’t have enough information to call Muhammad a "pervert." While Muhammad’s sexual acts may seem startling, we don’t know enough about the nature of these acts to condemn him as a sexual deviant or a predator.

Nevertheless, Muslims are too hasty in dismissing Muhammad’s relationship with Aisha. We can’t simply ignore a prophet’s marriage to a nine-year-old girl. Muslims view Muhammad as the highest example of a moral life, but his marriage to Aisha conflicts with that view. If they want to put Muhammad forward as the standard of morality, Muslims need to come to terms with the many questionable things Muhammad did, as well as the awful impact of these actions."
source

So, do you think taking "cultural differences into consideration" is enough to absolve an adult from having sex with a nine year-old (fourth grade) child?

Your thoughts?

Last edited by Miles on Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Re: Muhammad, a pedophile or child molester

Post #31

Post by JoeyKnothead »

mms20102 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:23 pm You are committing a fallacy right now. Argumentum ad populum.
I asked a simple question yet you say because it's so and everybody agree.
1- I need the standard age to call someone pedophile or for a child to adult.
Okay, have it your way.

Let the record reflect mms20102 says little 9 year olds are fair game.

But don't you never come creeping round my house!
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

muslimforever

Post #32

Post by muslimforever »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:07 pm
mms20102 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:23 pm You are committing a fallacy right now. Argumentum ad populum.
I asked a simple question yet you say because it's so and everybody agree.
1- I need the standard age to call someone pedophile or for a child to adult.
Okay, have it your way.

Let the record reflect mms20102 says little 9 year olds are fair game.

But don't you never come creeping round my house!
Don't worry, we won't!
A proud Muslim

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #33

Post by Difflugia »

muslimforever wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:36 pmLook, Our Beloved Prophet Muhammad (S.A.W) didn't consummate the marriage with Aisha until she reached puberty, which, for her, was at the age of 9 years; even though he married her when she was 6 years old.
That's not better.
muslimforever wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:36 pmSo once again: we Muslims are very proud of our Prophet's marriage to Aisha.
Since I know for a fact that you don't speak for all Muslims, part of me wants to think that this is nothing more than ham-handed parody or a kind of false flag trolling. But then again, Poe's Law cuts both ways, I guess.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #34

Post by JoeyKnothead »

muslimforever wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:59 pm
JoeyKnothead wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:07 pm But don't you never come creeping round my house!
Don't worry, we won't!
I'm sure ya won't, we're adults.
-Punkinhead Martin

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #35

Post by JoeyKnothead »

muslimforever wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:36 pm Look, Our Beloved Prophet Muhammad (S.A.W) didn't consummate the marriage with Aisha until she reached puberty, which, for her, was at the age of 9 years; even though he married her when she was 6 years old.
6?

Good googly moogly, and here I thought 9 was bad enough.

Then to consumate at 9?
So once again: we Muslims are very proud of our Prophet's marriage to Aisha.
I just can't respect me nobody that's cool with that.

Did he not have a sheep, or a goat or something? I mean, I understand he don't like pork.
-Punkinhead Martin

mms20102
Scholar

Post #36

Post by mms20102 »

[Replying to Difflugia in post #28]

You can sraer reading about Ealdgyth (daughter of Ælfgar, Earl of Mercia).
You can also start reading History from Well Durant

I never played definition games I need a plausible argument based on facts not based on emotional preference.

mms20102
Scholar

Post #37

Post by mms20102 »

[Replying to Miles in post #30]

You can start by answering my question when someone can be called pedophile and based on what ?!
The term "childhood" denotes that period in the human lifespan from the acquisition of language at one or two years to the onset of adolescence at 12 or 13 years."
Source: Encyclopedia Britannica
Saying the source of information doesn't mean that this source is ultimately right.
Again any historian can say that girls at old times married at early age because they matured faster than any girl today so saying that there is a fixed age is a myth.
Even from one place to another physical maturity is different and in return defining one age for one community is not suitable for the other, even defining certain age for one society is not possible since girls can get mature physically as early as 5 up to as late as 19 so based on what you will define maturity ?!

otseng
Savant

Post #38

Post by otseng »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:07 pm But don't you never come creeping round my house!
Moderator Comment

Best to leave out commenting about other posters.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

Miles
Savant

Post #39

Post by Miles »

mms20102 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:35 pm [Replying to Miles in post #30]

You can start by answering my question when someone can be called pedophile and based on what ?!
Not going to do your homework for you anymore. Look it up yourself. You do have access to the internet don't you?

The term "childhood" denotes that period in the human lifespan from the acquisition of language at one or two years to the onset of adolescence at 12 or 13 years."
Source: Encyclopedia Britannica
Saying the source of information doesn't mean that this source is ultimately right.
Okay, then you pick your acceptable source and then cite it, with an accompanying link. I await.

Again any historian can say that girls at old times married at early age because they matured faster than any girl today so saying that there is a fixed age is a myth.
Holy Poppycock. But go ahead; pick the society you want to talk about and cite its determinate ages. That should give you what you want. Right?

Even from one place to another physical maturity is different and in return defining one age for one community is not suitable for the other, even defining certain age for one society is not possible since girls can get mature physically as early as 5 up to as late as 19 so based on what you will define maturity ?!
But no one said a thing about physical maturity.

Last edited by Miles on Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mms20102
Scholar

Post #40

Post by mms20102 »

[Replying to Miles in post #39]

You are the one supposed to present evidence not me you are the one have to prove why he was a pedophile and on what basis you said that.

Refusing to present any basis means you said random words without taking into consideration many facts that I presented earlier.

Saying that my talk is nonsense will not prove your point and saying do your homework won't also, unless you present a real material to be debated we are going into circular argument.