Can atheists and believers agree in one religion?

Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

przemeknowicki
Student

Can atheists and believers agree in one religion?

Post #1

Post by przemeknowicki »

I am thinking of retirement and about summarizing my life experiences in a book on politics and religion. I hope it is not against the rules of this forum to point you to my website because I need it to start the discussion.
Here it is www.freedomgates.net
Please skip the political part and read what I had to say in the religion section.
Tell me please if you have any thoughts, comments, agreements and disagreements. Forums have always been my best inspiration and I hope again to gather more material for my book. I hope to learn from you.

Thank you for participating.

Thomas Orr (my assumed name)

przemeknowicki
Student

Re: Can atheists and believers agree in one religion?

Post #51

Post by przemeknowicki »

Arthra wrote:Tom,

Yes i read some portions of your religious section... I think my comments are directed at two areas..

I really don't see true religion as political or partisan as you apparently do...

When religion gets involved with politics it gets compromised and coopted by politics and becomes a mere means to a poltical end. The opposite should be the case..that is religious people can advise the polticians but shouldn't be enmesshed and embedded with the politician. More over partisanship is contrary to the unifying property of religion in my view.

As to your views on Moslems I think you need to consider what's really occurring there... Most are not involved in what some call "Jihad"..only opportunitists and terrorists are using this concept for their own ends...co-opting religion and using it to their advantage...See the notes above.

Also terrorism is often the resort of the powerless who can't afford to field an army...or connect with spy satellites. Not to excuse it but only to say the it is usually the resort of those who feel powerless and have limited means to defend themselves... in any case, terrorism and true religion are not compatible.

-Art

Do I see true religion as political and partisan? If we are to tolerate entities called organized religions we would have to demand that they explicitly recognize and embrace the secular concepts of basic human rights, including equal social status and equal rights of both genders. We would also expect them to endorse and lend support to secular laws, orders and authorities, which provide for peace, justice and social order. At this point aren't we right in saying that religions become engaged in politics?

Well, you may raise objections as you did that religions are not to be mixed with politics. I agree with you. On the other hand religions notoriously mix themselves with politics for all the wrong reasons. To those who insist on religion's right to be engaged in politics I say do it the right way.

I didn't invent religions but I cannot be blind to the fact that religions do exist. If this poses a problem because some of the religions don't behave themselves nicely it is only logical that we do something about it. The true religion I promote is the answer to the question how to manage different religions. The true religion is impartial as far as the spiritual domain is concerned. In the true religion every system of spiritual beliefs is equal and equally important as long their followers are socially responsible.

Of course, the spiritual content of various religions does matter. Those religions, which are rigid and dogma centered make it very hard for their followers to keep pace with the secular forces pursuing humanitarian ideals and trying to make the world a better place to live.

On the other hand, those religions, which are centered around the humanitarian ideals do stand out as examples for all of us to follow. However, the division between people who are "good neighbors" and those who bring the message of hate and divisions cut across churches and religions. Jimmy Carter and Dalaj Lama don't have much in common as far as their spiritual views are concerned but they have a lot in common in being good members of the big human family. On the opposite spectrum I see very little difference between those who behead hostages in Iraq and those who shoot abortion doctors in America.

Regards,

Thomas Orr

aprilannies
Student

Post #52

Post by aprilannies »

przemeknowicki wrote:

On the other hand, those religions, which are centered around the humanitarian ideals do stand out as examples for all of us to follow. However, the division between people who are "good neighbors" and those who bring the message of hate and divisions cut across churches and religions. Jimmy Carter and Dalaj Lama don't have much in common as far as their spiritual views are concerned but they have a lot in common in being good members of the big human family. On the opposite spectrum I see very little difference between those who behead hostages in Iraq and those who shoot abortion doctors in America.

Regards,

Thomas Orr
This is something I have felt for years, but lacked the verbal eloquence to actually state. I applaud you. =D>

Unfortunately, I think those that need to hear this most will ignore it.

Bro Dave
Sage

Post #53

Post by Bro Dave »

aprilannies wrote:
przemeknowicki wrote:

Regards,

Thomas Orr
This is something I have felt for years, but lacked the verbal eloquence to actually state. I applaud you. =D>

Unfortunately, I think those that need to hear this most will ignore it.
Let me second that applause! I have long been using the "Love-Filter" to determine what is from God, and what has man's grubby finger prints all over it!

Bro Dave

;)