Is the Qu'ran self-evidently true?

Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #1

Post by McCulloch »

paarsurrey wrote:Quran is self-evident, yes very truly.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

TrueReligion
Banned
Banned

Post #51

Post by TrueReligion »

Wyvern wrote:
I think we are having lack of knowledge here by you, please do some reasearch for this.

I have as has Goat it is you that seems to have a problem accepting any knowledge that does not come from yourself.
Satan is among the Jinnns, is it hard ffor you to understannd that Jinn is arabic term, is the dictionary old or religious scripture old?
I understand djinns are arabic what I don't understand is why you keep insisting Satan is one of a class of creature that did not exist until at least a half millenia AFTER Satan was first mentioned. Christians say Satan is a fallen angel, you say Satan is a djinn, instead of insisting you are right make your case.
I know that you cannot understand these things, as you dont accept any religion, so there is no point of discussing.
Who says that? I am not in the atheist user group. What you can't prove your case so you have to attack me?
Ok let me make it easy for you, as you feel hard in doing research.
Read the history of solomon, who was he, and what powers he was having. then come after you have sufficient knowledge, we will discuss for sure, otherwise I will explain you more .
Stop changing the subject unless you want to open a whole new can of worms in which case I suggest making a new thread.
For your and Goat's easy reference, I quoted again a neutral and authentic site, you can check in the post, where Goat also agreed that Satan in Islam and Christianity is same. we are discussin now for Judaism, which is also mention in the link that its same, and I would like you to read it completely, before making any comment.

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Satan#Islam

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #52

Post by Goat »

TrueReligion wrote:
Wyvern wrote:
I think we are having lack of knowledge here by you, please do some reasearch for this.

I have as has Goat it is you that seems to have a problem accepting any knowledge that does not come from yourself.
Satan is among the Jinnns, is it hard ffor you to understannd that Jinn is arabic term, is the dictionary old or religious scripture old?
I understand djinns are arabic what I don't understand is why you keep insisting Satan is one of a class of creature that did not exist until at least a half millenia AFTER Satan was first mentioned. Christians say Satan is a fallen angel, you say Satan is a djinn, instead of insisting you are right make your case.
I know that you cannot understand these things, as you dont accept any religion, so there is no point of discussing.
Who says that? I am not in the atheist user group. What you can't prove your case so you have to attack me?
Read the history of solomon, who was he, and what powers he was having. then come after you have sufficient knowledge, we will discuss for sure, otherwise I will explain you more .
Stop changing the subject unless you want to open a whole new can of worms in which case I suggest making a new thread.
For your and Goat's easy reference, I quoted again a neutral and authentic site, you can check in the post, where Goat also agreed that Satan in Islam and Christianity is same. we are discussin now for Judaism, which is also mention in the link that its same, and I would like you to read it completely, before making any comment.

I suggest you use your own source, and look at at the Jewish section. In it , it will explain the role of Satan in Judaism.

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Satan#Judaism

Since it is different, then it is a different class of creature as described by Islam.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

TrueReligion
Banned
Banned

Post #53

Post by TrueReligion »

goat wrote:
TrueReligion wrote:
Wyvern wrote:

I suggest you use your own source, and look at at the Jewish section. In it , it will explain the role of Satan in Judaism.

Since it is different, then it is a different class of creature as described by Islam.
I think you have read the half part of Judaism.

Let me put again for you.

In the Hebrew Bible
Satan is primarily understood as an "accuser" or "adversary" in the Hebrew Bible, and is not necessarily the personification of evil that he would become in later Abrahamic religions. Within the Hebrew Bible, the term satan itself is applied both to supernatural entities and human beings. In actuality, the figure Satan is mentioned quite infrequently. Where Satan does appear in the Hebrew Bible it is as a member of God's divine council who watches over human activity, but with the evil purpose of searching out human beings' sins and then registering accusations against them. In this way, he serves as something of a prosecuting attorney for God, presenting his case against humankind in the heavenly court. This is most evident in the Book of Job, wherein Satan questions the veracity of humankind's loyalty to God, putting forth the argument that any given human is only loyal because God gives her or him prosperity. God agrees to put Satan's theory to the test, and various misfortunes are visited upon Job as a test of his faith. It is Satan who actually delivers these ills one-by-one. Despite this activity, the prologue of the Book of Job makes clear that Satan has no power of independent volition of his own, and requires the permission of God to carry out his actions.
In other verses, Satan appears to take his own initiative. In 1 Chronicles 21:1, Satan incites David to commit the sin of taking a census of Israel. In this passage, it appears that Satan is actually the entity that enables David to destroy Israel, who acts out accord with the wishes of God. Five hundred years earlier, this same story portrayed Yahweh as the one who incited David to take the census (2 Samuel 24:1). The change in the narrative may be due to the fact that the later story was written after the Hebrews had been in exile in Babylon, where they were no doubt exposed to Zoroastrian influence. Zoroastrianism had developed the concept of a volitional evil deity Angra Mainyu who existed in counterpoint to Spenta Mainyu, the personification of good. The attribution of an independent will to Satan may be a Zoroastrian influence, as Angra Mainyu's predilection to evil exists contradicts the will of Spenta Mainyu and ultimately, the one supreme and exclusively benevolent Ahura Mazda. Although Satan's role as the adversary is established in the Hebrew Bible, he had not yet taken on the demonic character of the personification of evil, which he would inherit in later Jewish literature, as well as in Christianity and Islam.

Thus the Hebrew word "Satan" is used in a threefold way to refer to those who act as adversaries, either as 1) an enemy in times of both war and peace,[5] 2) as an antagonist who puts obstacles in an individual's way, as in Numbers 22:22, where the angel of God is described as opposing Balaam as an adversary, and 3) as an accuser before the judgment-seat.[6]

Non-Canonical Jewish Literature
Early rabbinic statements in the Mishna and Talmud show that Satan played a minor role in early Jewish theology. In the course of time, however, Judaism absorbed many of the now-prevalent concepts of Satan, most likely from the nearby Persians. Consequently, as a rule, Jewish writings tend to contain more frequent mentions of Satan and his hosts. [7] In apocryphal works such as the Jubilees, the Testament of Reuben, and The Book of the Secrets of Enoch, Satan is considered to be the leader of the fallen angels. As Judaism evolved, history began to be conceived of in two ages: the present age, which is marked by Satan's rule, and a more glorious future age which will usher in the rule of divinity. This will only occur after an apocalyptic conflict where Satan and the effects of sin, for which he is responsible, will be overcome. This conception of Satan as the apocalyptic adversary was no doubt influenced by Zoroastrian eschatology, as well as by that religion's ethical dualism. It should be noted that Judaism, as with Christianity, stops short of identifying Satan as a wholly evil being, so as not to compromise its fundamental belief in monotheism.

In some Jewish works, rabbis put forth the idea that Satan is the incarnation of all evil, devoting the entirety of his works to the destruction of humankind. The Babylonian Talmud, for instance, states that the Evil Inclination (Yetzer ha-Ra), the Angel of Death and Satan are all identical. Satan is said to seize upon so little as a single word which may be prejudicial to man, [8] and in times of danger, he consistently brings a barrage of accusations.[9]. By the end of the apocalyptic period (approximately 100 C.E.), Jewish demonology and folklore had variously connected Satan with darkness, the underworld, sexual impropriety, and animals such as the goat, the frog or toad, and the serpent. Some literature, both rabbinical and apocalyptic, asserted that Satan first wielded his power in the Garden of Eden and this serpent wryly coerced Eve into eating the forbidden fruit.

Pirke de-Rabbi Eliezer characterized Satan as an active agent in the fall of man,[10] and put forward that he was also the father of Cain[11] Other rabbis have continued this line of thought suggesting that Satan provided the impetus for other negative events in Jewish history. These include the offering of Isaac for sacrifice,[12] the release of the animal destined by Esau for his father,[13] the death of Moses,[14] David's improprietous sexual relationship with Bathsheba,[15] and the death of the Persian Queen Vashti, wife of Ahasuerus (probably Xerxes the First). [16] In addition, the decree to destroy all the Jews obtained by Haman, the scheming grand vizier of Ahasuerus, was said to have been written on parchment brought by Satan.[17] The normative Jewish concept, however, was and remains that Satan cannot be viewed as an independent agent, and therefore could not have perpetrated the aforementioned events. In the Babylonian Talmud, Rabbi Levi asserts that "everything Satan does is for the sake of heaven." [18] Satan's powers are by no means uncontestable; when the Shofar (Horn) is sounded by Jews on New-Year's Day, Satan is said to be "confounded".[19] Further, on the Day of Atonement Satan's power is said to vanish altogether, since the numerical value of the letters of his name (in the context of gematria and Hebrew numerals) is only 359, thus allegedly exempting this one day from his influence.[20]

Now, there are many mentione here, but for your ease, I made Bold few, and you can notice, its mention Satan also have free will,
Now we can also say that Jewish scripture and commentators are very contradictig with each other, and are not firm on any of their claim, so we can;t take their all remarks as authentic.
The 1 we can take as authentic, whch matches Quran and Christian concept.
Hope I'am quite clear now

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #54

Post by Goat »

TrueReligion wrote:
Now, there are many mentione here, but for your ease, I made Bold few, and you can notice, its mention Satan also have free will,
Now we can also say that Jewish scripture and commentators are very contradictig with each other, and are not firm on any of their claim, so we can;t take their all remarks as authentic.
When it comes to the analysis of the book of Job, that is not quite correct. I point you to the Commentary of the book of Ivoy at http://www.torah.org/learning/iyov/archives.html for a more indepth analysis.

And from a Jewish source (after all, it will be a more accurate representation of what Jews think

http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view. ... arch=satan
Yet it is also evident from the prologue that Satan has no power of independent action, but requires the permission of God, which he may not transgress.He can not be regarded, therefore, as an opponent of the Deity; and the doctrine of monotheism is disturbed by his existence no more than by the presence of other beings before the face of God. This view is also retained in Zech. iii. 1-2, where Satan is described as the adversary of the high priest Joshua, and of the people of God whose representative the hierarch is; and he there opposes the "angel of the Lord," who bids him be silent in the name of God. In both of these passages Satan is a mere accuser who acts only according to the permission of the Deity; but in I Chron. xxi. 1 he appears as one who is able to provoke David to destroy Israel. The Chronicler (third century B.C.) regards Satan as an independent agent, a view which is the more striking since the source whence he drew his account (II Sam. xxiv. 1) speaks of God Himself as the one who moved David against the children of Israel. Since the older conception refers all events, whether good or bad, to God alone (I Sam. xvi. 14; I Kings xxii. 22; Isa. xlv. 7; etc.), it is possible that the Chronicler, and perhaps even Zechariah, were influenced by Zoroastrianism, even though in the case of the prophet Jewish monism strongly opposed Iranian dualism (Stave, "Einfluss des Parsismus auf das Judenthum," pp. 253 et seq.). An immediate influence of the Babylonian concept of the "accuser, persecutor, and oppressor" (Schrader, "K. A. T." 3d ed., p. 463) is impossible, since traces of such an influence, if it had existed, would have appeared in the earlier portions of the Bible.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

TrueReligion
Banned
Banned

Post #55

Post by TrueReligion »

goat wrote:
TrueReligion wrote:
goat wrote:
TrueReligion wrote:
Wyvern wrote:

I think you have read the half part of Judaism.

Let me put again for you.

In the Hebrew Bible
Satan is primarily understood as an "accuser" or "adversary" in the Hebrew Bible, and is not necessarily the personification of evil that he would become in later Abrahamic religions. Within the Hebrew Bible, the term satan itself is applied both to supernatural entities and human beings. In actuality, the figure Satan is mentioned quite infrequently. Where Satan does appear in the Hebrew Bible it is as a member of God's divine council who watches over human activity, but with the evil purpose of searching out human beings' sins and then registering accusations against them. In this way, he serves as something of a prosecuting attorney for God, presenting his case against humankind in the heavenly court. This is most evident in the Book of Job, wherein Satan questions the veracity of humankind's loyalty to God, putting forth the argument that any given human is only loyal because God gives her or him prosperity. God agrees to put Satan's theory to the test, and various misfortunes are visited upon Job as a test of his faith. It is Satan who actually delivers these ills one-by-one. Despite this activity, the prologue of the Book of Job makes clear that Satan has no power of independent volition of his own, and requires the permission of God to carry out his actions.
In other verses, Satan appears to take his own initiative. In 1 Chronicles 21:1, Satan incites David to commit the sin of taking a census of Israel. In this passage, it appears that Satan is actually the entity that enables David to destroy Israel, who acts out accord with the wishes of God. Five hundred years earlier, this same story portrayed Yahweh as the one who incited David to take the census (2 Samuel 24:1). The change in the narrative may be due to the fact that the later story was written after the Hebrews had been in exile in Babylon, where they were no doubt exposed to Zoroastrian influence. Zoroastrianism had developed the concept of a volitional evil deity Angra Mainyu who existed in counterpoint to Spenta Mainyu, the personification of good. The attribution of an independent will to Satan may be a Zoroastrian influence, as Angra Mainyu's predilection to evil exists contradicts the will of Spenta Mainyu and ultimately, the one supreme and exclusively benevolent Ahura Mazda. Although Satan's role as the adversary is established in the Hebrew Bible, he had not yet taken on the demonic character of the personification of evil, which he would inherit in later Jewish literature, as well as in Christianity and Islam.

Thus the Hebrew word "Satan" is used in a threefold way to refer to those who act as adversaries, either as 1) an enemy in times of both war and peace,[5] 2) as an antagonist who puts obstacles in an individual's way, as in Numbers 22:22, where the angel of God is described as opposing Balaam as an adversary, and 3) as an accuser before the judgment-seat.[6]

Non-Canonical Jewish Literature
Early rabbinic statements in the Mishna and Talmud show that Satan played a minor role in early Jewish theology. In the course of time, however, Judaism absorbed many of the now-prevalent concepts of Satan, most likely from the nearby Persians. Consequently, as a rule, Jewish writings tend to contain more frequent mentions of Satan and his hosts. [7] In apocryphal works such as the Jubilees, the Testament of Reuben, and The Book of the Secrets of Enoch, Satan is considered to be the leader of the fallen angels. As Judaism evolved, history began to be conceived of in two ages: the present age, which is marked by Satan's rule, and a more glorious future age which will usher in the rule of divinity. This will only occur after an apocalyptic conflict where Satan and the effects of sin, for which he is responsible, will be overcome. This conception of Satan as the apocalyptic adversary was no doubt influenced by Zoroastrian eschatology, as well as by that religion's ethical dualism. It should be noted that Judaism, as with Christianity, stops short of identifying Satan as a wholly evil being, so as not to compromise its fundamental belief in monotheism.

In some Jewish works, rabbis put forth the idea that Satan is the incarnation of all evil, devoting the entirety of his works to the destruction of humankind. The Babylonian Talmud, for instance, states that the Evil Inclination (Yetzer ha-Ra), the Angel of Death and Satan are all identical. Satan is said to seize upon so little as a single word which may be prejudicial to man, [8] and in times of danger, he consistently brings a barrage of accusations.[9]. By the end of the apocalyptic period (approximately 100 C.E.), Jewish demonology and folklore had variously connected Satan with darkness, the underworld, sexual impropriety, and animals such as the goat, the frog or toad, and the serpent. Some literature, both rabbinical and apocalyptic, asserted that Satan first wielded his power in the Garden of Eden and this serpent wryly coerced Eve into eating the forbidden fruit.

Pirke de-Rabbi Eliezer characterized Satan as an active agent in the fall of man,[10] and put forward that he was also the father of Cain[11] Other rabbis have continued this line of thought suggesting that Satan provided the impetus for other negative events in Jewish history. These include the offering of Isaac for sacrifice,[12] the release of the animal destined by Esau for his father,[13] the death of Moses,[14] David's improprietous sexual relationship with Bathsheba,[15] and the death of the Persian Queen Vashti, wife of Ahasuerus (probably Xerxes the First). [16] In addition, the decree to destroy all the Jews obtained by Haman, the scheming grand vizier of Ahasuerus, was said to have been written on parchment brought by Satan.[17] The normative Jewish concept, however, was and remains that Satan cannot be viewed as an independent agent, and therefore could not have perpetrated the aforementioned events. In the Babylonian Talmud, Rabbi Levi asserts that "everything Satan does is for the sake of heaven." [18] Satan's powers are by no means uncontestable; when the Shofar (Horn) is sounded by Jews on New-Year's Day, Satan is said to be "confounded".[19] Further, on the Day of Atonement Satan's power is said to vanish altogether, since the numerical value of the letters of his name (in the context of gematria and Hebrew numerals) is only 359, thus allegedly exempting this one day from his influence.[20]

When it comes to the analysis of the book of Job, that is not quite correct. I point you to the Commentary of the book of Ivoy at http://www.torah.org/learning/iyov/archives.html for a more indepth analysis.
I know, this is the point which I'am trying to make, that so many contradictions and un-authentication of Jewish and christian scriptures lead us to believe, that they can;t be taken as authentic,
Have you ever heard, or read about un-authenticity of any of chapter of Quran, or something like this?
Rest make your decision, Ive given enough strength to provide proofs. I dont want to win applause or anything, or like arguments for sake of making some1 down, my purpose is to provide truth, throuth authentic and reliable sources and justification.
Thanks, its time for me to go, I will be going for 2-3 weeks out of country, wil be in touch here time to time
Regards to every1

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #56

Post by Goat »

TrueReligion wrote: I know, this is the point which I'am trying to make, that so many contradictions and un-authentication of Jewish and christian scriptures lead us to believe, that they can;t be taken as authentic,
Have you ever heard, or read about un-authenticity of any of chapter of Quran, or something like this?
Rest make your decision, Ive given enough strength to provide proofs. I dont want to win applause or anything, or like arguments for sake of making some1 down, my purpose is to provide truth, throuth authentic and reliable sources and justification.
Thanks, its time for me to go, I will be going for 2-3 weeks out of country, wil be in touch here time to time
Regards to every1
IFunny, the same can be said for the Koran, despite your denial of that.

However, I am not worried about the 'truth' and 'authentication' of any of the scriptures. You seem to think that trying to point out contradictions in the Jewish scriptures , and the CHristian scriptures it makes the Koran right. That is not true, since the Koran bases many of it's concepts on the earlier traditions.

I will also note that it is only in the Koran that there is a whole chapter devoted to the reality of the Jinn. When you can show me objective and tangible evidence of Jinn actually existing, and not just words of someone explaining what Jinn are, and making unsupported claims about them, then we will discuss that 'truth' of the Koran.

Steven Novella

TrueReligion
Banned
Banned

Post #57

Post by TrueReligion »

goat wrote:
TrueReligion wrote: I know, this is the point which I'am trying to make, that so many contradictions and un-authentication of Jewish and christian scriptures lead us to believe, that they can;t be taken as authentic,
Regards to every1

However, I am not worried about the 'truth' and 'authentication' of any of the scriptures. You seem to think that trying to point out contradictions in the Jewish scriptures , and the CHristian scriptures it makes the Koran right. That is not true, since the Koran bases many of it's concepts on the earlier traditions.

I will also note that it is only in the Koran that there is a whole chapter devoted to the reality of the Jinn. When you can show me objective and tangible evidence of Jinn actually existing, and not just words of someone explaining what Jinn are, and making unsupported claims about them, then we will discuss that 'truth' of the Koran.
Now you are changing your words Goat:) Just in lasst post, you said about the doubtfulnes of Book of Job, now you say that you r'nt worried for the authentication of these books, and still want to get reference from them. So its something wrong going on, we need 1 point for you to stand, either you take words of these books completly, or reject from your claim.

Now the physical evidence of Jinns and Satan, As its a known fact , that the Satan is from Jinns, and its un-seen creature, from fire with no smokke.

If a normal person will ask you, show me the signals of radio, waves transmission, physiicaly, how can you show him
?

How can you show any person DNA? or protein , how they look like? How you can show the signals our parts of body are receiving from brain physicaly?

So this claim of yours that you wil believe in Jinnns only physicaly, and not any personal experiennce, is useless, and not valid. Its the belief in all the religious scriptures, I can;t say for science, because many of times science changedd the claims and proofs.
Tthanks

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #58

Post by Goat »

TrueReligion wrote:
goat wrote:
Regards to every1

Now you are changing your words Goat:) Just in lasst post, you said about the doubtfulnes of Book of Job, now you say that you r'nt worried for the authentication of these books, and still want to get reference from them. So its something wrong going on, we need 1 point for you to stand, either you take words of these books completly, or reject from your claim.

Now the physical evidence of Jinns and Satan, As its a known fact , that the Satan is from Jinns, and its un-seen creature, from fire with no smokke.

If a normal person will ask you, show me the signals of radio, waves transmission, physiicaly, how can you show him
?

How can you show any person DNA? or protein , how they look like? How you can show the signals our parts of body are receiving from brain physicaly?

So this claim of yours that you wil believe in Jinnns only physicaly, and not any personal experiennce, is useless, and not valid. Its the belief in all the religious scriptures, I can;t say for science, because many of times science changedd the claims and proofs.
Tthanks
Yes, I can show someone DNA and protein using a scanning tunneling microscope, and show people experiments that show how both protiens and DNA react.

Yes, science has changed claims on a number of times. They will change claims based on something called 'Evidence' ,and 'testable and repeatable observations'.
Experience has shown us that personal testimony is unreliable.

So, how do you detect a Jinn??

Steven Novella

Wyvern
Under Probation

Post #59

Post by Wyvern »

I read the linked site article and guess what it also says that in christianity Satan is a fallen angel and in islam Satan is a djinn. Maybe you should read what you link because all you did was confirm what I wrote, additionally it stated angels are different than djinn so it even took that away from you.

Wyvern
Under Probation

Post #60

Post by Wyvern »

Wow, a fire that isn't just smokeless but it's invisable as well. Fires are kinda bright and hot aren't they? As your encyclopedia article stated only in islam is Satan a djinn and as such it is neither a well known or well accepted "fact"
?
I'd turn on a radio, or if thats not good enough for you any body of water would work also.
Electron microscopes and an eeg should do the trick.
Just like you disallowing any and all news sources then asking me to provide a link to prove something, I found a way to work around it and if you are right you should be able to also.