Mormonism

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

em200727
Student

Mormonism

Post #1

Post by em200727 »

Hey i would like to know more about Mormonism. I love researching other religions so if anyone has any questions, or would like to discuss that would be great :D

otseng
Savant

Post #2

Post by otseng »

Welcome to the forum. Please note that the debate section is only for debate topics that have a clear question for debate. I have moved this to Random Ramblings for a general discussion on Mormonism.

foshizzle
Apprentice

Post #3

Post by foshizzle »

I would highly suggest you take this search to Google. I think most people on this forum (me included) probably look down on Mormonism enough to make an unbiased description of the religion next to impossible.

Dilettante
Sage

Post #4

Post by Dilettante »

One place where you are not likely to get an unbiased, balanced view is the Mormon Church-affiliated websites, for obvious reasons (they're interested in promoting their faith and will omit any contrary evidence). They're worth checking out, though.

Mormonism is a relatively new religion arising, like the Jehova's Witnesses movement, in the US. Mormonism is also known by its full name: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints or LDS for short. Mormonism has elements of gnosticism, with "secret" initiation ceremonies playing a significant role. Mormon beliefs differ considerably in some (not all) respects from Christian beliefs, and as a result there is disagreement as to whether Mormons are Christian or not.

The origins of Mormonism are controversial. Joseph Smith, the founder, claimed to have received a revelation in the 19th century from a being called Moroni, who reportedly instructed him on how to unearth a set of golden plates from a nearby hill. Later, Moroni took back the golden plates. Joseph Smith then published the "Book of Mormon", which he claimed was a history of certain pre-Columbian civilizations in America no archaeologist has ever been able to locate. He also claimed (on the first page of the book) that Amerindians were descended from one of the Tribes of Israel, contrary to well-established scientific knowledge linking them to Asian and Mongol populations which reached American by crossing the Bering Strait. A good unbiased account of the origins of Mormonism is Grant Palmer's "An Insider's View of Mormon Origins".
The best biography of the charismatic Joseph Smith is still "No Man Knows My History" by Fawn Brodie.

Some useful links:

For an overview of Mormonism from the BBC,

www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/mormon/index.shtml

For a comparison between mainstream Christian and LDS beliefs,
www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/mormon ... ian2.shtml

To check out the sacred texts of Mormonism,
www.sacred-texts.com/mor/index.htm

To find out what ex-Mormons have to say,
http://home.teleport.com/~packham

em200727
Student

thanks

Post #5

Post by em200727 »

Thank but i pretty much know all of that stuff already! I was hoping to find a Moromon to talk to about it. The reason being is my best friends sister converted from Christiantiy to Mormonism, and it tore her whole family up and I wanted to know why people believe in it. I've tried to email Mormon.org but "since they have so many emails they would like to send a representitive to my house" which is a big no. Ya so thats pretty much it. THANKS SO MUCH THO!

Tycho23
Student

Post #6

Post by Tycho23 »

Hey there, I hope you're still watching this topic but, I was just browsing through and saw your request for information...

I consider myself rather versed in the LDS faith/docterine and I hope I can help you understand all that you wish to know...

Warning: I am only willing to talk to people if it is in a constructive manner. If not, I won't be as obliged to continue the conversations...

Since mormonism is a huge subject, I really have no idea were to start...

Any questions?

(All my answers will be based on Dontrine taught by the LDS church: at least to the extent of my understanding)

and yes, I'm a Mormon. O:)

foshizzle
Apprentice

Post #7

Post by foshizzle »

When, why and how did you become Mormon?

Tycho23
Student

Post #8

Post by Tycho23 »

Simply put: I was born into the LDS church.
My parents are devout mormons.
I Grew up learning all about the church.
Got Baptized when I turned eight.

I got baptized and confirmed a member of the church because I had been looking forward to that day with great anticipation. I felt and still feel that it is a great privelage to be able to be a member of the LDS church...

You may say that I have been brainwashed by a devilish cult, blinded by the powerful ideas pressented by it, or even forced by peer preasure to stay/be in the church, but I want you to know: I have had my doubts about the Mormon church just like anyone else, investigated other churches, prayed to god about it, and come to a conclussion...

I have my own personal testomony that testifies to me every day that I belong to the true church of Jesus Christ...
My testomony is no stronger than your testimony about your beliefs....

P.S. I love being a Mormon...

Ive tried not to be a mormon, and trust me... I'm sure about my descision....

I hope that was sufficient enough of an answer.... O:)

Any other questions?

Tycho23
Student

Post #9

Post by Tycho23 »

For the "How" aspect of the question:

In order for you to be called a member of the LDS Church you have to be baptized.

We believe in full emurssion when being baptised... Most of our major meeting houses have baptismal fonts built into them and are filled all the way up with water, (literally like really nice, giant bath tubs, but not really)
The water level is always at ground level to help emphasize being born again. The baptie is completely submerged and then brought back to the surface immediately. After they dry off and change into different clothes, they receive the gift of the holy ghost and are comfirmed as a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints by the laying on of hands by those with the proper priesthood authority.

We see baptism as a convenient being made with heavenly father to always remember our savior and what he did for us. Naturally, this is extremely difficult to do in today's world twenty-four seven. Every Sunday, The Sacrament is offered at the local mormon meeting house (Different groups of people {according to were you live} at different times attend this event called Sacrament Meeting). The Sacrament (bread and water) is blessed by the Priesthood to renew our baptismal covenants with heavenly father. It is then distributed to all the congregation.

A strong verse that we use and supports baptism is John 3:5.

em200727
Student

Post #10

Post by em200727 »

Thanks for being willing to talk to me about this its just really bothering me, anyhow, i have really tried to research so ill give you a couple of my many questions, thanks again for talking to me!

if the Book of Mormon is true then why has the Mormon church changed it?(examples 1 nephi 11:21; 19;20; 20:1 and Alma 29:4, also Gerald and Sandra Tanner have counted 3913 changes in the Book of Mormon, excluding punctuation.

if Jesus was conceived as a result of a physical union between God and Mary, how was Jesus born ofa virgin?

there is just two but believe me ive got plenty more ;)

thanks again
Defying Gravity