Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

jeremiah1five
Banned
Banned

The Heresy of Atheism

Post #1

Post by jeremiah1five »

Yes, it is true. Atheism is only a heresy. As a matter of fact, there is no such thing as "Atheism." In the claim that "I don't believe there is a God" is the very declaration that there is a God. So, not only is atheism a lie it is a heresy for by saying "I don't believe in God" is the person declaring, "I don't believe in or that there is a God" they have declared the existence of God.

Their "I don't believe in God" is the declaration that I don't believe in 'that' or 'this' has declared there is a God, it's just their subjective position that they don't believe in Him.

There is no such thing as atheists and atheism.

So, don't worry.
BIBLICAL CHRISTIANITY: Where Bible and Christian Meet

marco
Savant

Re: The Heresy of Atheism

Post #21

Post by marco »

Tcg wrote:
Not all agnostics lack belief in gods:

"An agnostic theist believes in the existence of a god or gods, but regards the basis of this proposition as unknown or inherently unknowable. The agnostic theist may also or alternatively be agnostic regarding the properties of the god or gods that they believe in."

I was unaware such creatures existed. My boy-inculcated belief was that atheism is NO, agnosticism is "don't know." I suppose in our age of binary people the agnostic or atheistic theist had to come. I like Rowe's definition:

"Agnosticism is the view that human reason is incapable of providing sufficient rational grounds to justify either the belief that God exists or the belief that God does not exist." That suits me except that I would add, as far as Yahweh is concerned, I don't have the remotest doubt about his fictionality. That makes me an atheist here.
Tcg wrote:
Not at all and as I have demonstrated above, some agnostics believe in the unknowable.

Fair enough. My view is that we can fit a gallon into a two-gallon container but not two gallons into a gallon container. I think we are perhaps limited, like computers, in the extent of our reasoning. Chess computers have improved remarkably over the past score of years, far, far exceeding the thinking capabilities of mere world champions. There was a time when a chess computer would have found "unknowable" the various strategies available to the human.

I think there are areas of unknowability, simply because our make-up lacks sophistication. I don't see this as bumping into the god area or nodding in the direction of Yahweh. It is a simple acceptance of our limits. We may of course extend these, but whether this extension process can continue ad infinitum is an interesting question.

My only reason for quibbling with you - since I generaly agree with what you write - is my feeling of being classed as a Yahweh supporter by association. I don't know what an agnostic theist might look like but I guesss I don't see one when I look in the mirror. Go well.